Eastern Oregon Desert Ride - Weekend One
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Eastern Oregon Desert Ride - Weekend One

Eastern Oregon Desert Ride - Weekend One

Day 1. Mrs. Admiral was sick and stayed at camp. I went out riding solo.

Cottonwood Creek Campsite. There is a cottonwood tree there.

Eastern Oregon-Cottonwood Creek Day 1

Ride in and around Cottonwood Creek in Eastern Oregon. Lookin' for old ranches, homesteads and what not. Bike quit on me. Got it running later on but not before I had pushed the "Help" button on the SPOT Locator (no cell service where I was riding). Pushed the "OK" button when I got back to camp. Found out later help was on the way but aborted rescue when "I'm OK" message was received. Wife had stayed at camp all day cause she was sick. I went out for an evening ride and got caught in the rain. Wife went looking for me when I didn't return on time. We all ended back at camp. Heck of a day for sure.

New TWoyhauler worked great

We only got this one because it has a separate garage keep any fuel fumes from the living quarters. Love that we can now keep our gear in here and not drag it in & out of the shop.

Line shack. Building doesn't look real old but the fencing does.

Good place to know if bad weather moves in.

Then I rode down to the site of the "Stringer Shearing Plant". I think the outfit was called Stringer Bros. and it's where they sheared sheep.

I think the outfit was called Stringer Bros. and it's where they sheared sheep.

My father in law had heard of the Stringers. They once were a huge sheep outfit. From the road above looking down where the plant used to be. Ran into a fellow the next day and he said the BLM burned down the building about 15 years ago. Lost history.

Then found an old homestead ruins. I believe it was a homestead. We'll be finding a lot of these old homesteads this weekend and the next weekend we rode out here.

Man cave. I don't know if this is natural or was dug out. Looked cool so I took a picture.

It's on private property I believe but there wasn't a "no trespassing" sign, so I got lucky on this one. Sometimes the old homesteads are on private property and BEHIND no trespassing signs which sucks cow patties.

Later on down the road my TW quit on me and I couldn't get it re-started. This started the pushing the SPOT help button saga. Wasn't really a saga but help was on the way until I got the TW started about an hour later and pushed the OK button when Mrs. Admiral informed me she wasn't the only emergency contact. I thought Mrs. Admiral was the only emergency contact and pushed the help button even though I knew we(she) were not in cell coverage. Maybe there was a chance it would get through.

At camp I pushed the ok button to call off any possible help coming our way. It was and good thing Mrs. Admiral told me to push the ok button. We (I) didn't realized what all was going on as we weren't in cell coverage

until I got here. I stopped here and all of sudden my cell phone started chiming with incoming messages.

It was everyone messaging me and each other and then acknowledging I was ok. Weird, no cell coverage anywhere and then to get it at this spot in the middle of nowhere.

By the way, IT IS NOT 13 MILES to Highway 20 from this spot. It's more like 5 miles. How did they get that so so wrong. Couple miles to Squaw Creek Reservoir is right as we found out the following ride weekend.

Went a mile or two west on Hwy 20 towards Juntura. Here is one of the two replacement "Shoe Tree's". The second one on down the road is easier to see and has more tree's. They both replaced an older "shoe tree" of which I have no idea why that one is gone but I do remember seeing it years ago passing by.

From here I headed back east to Harper. Unknowingly, a storm was coming, I was late getting back to camp so Mrs. Admiral ventured out to find me. Only because I had the earlier issue with Scoob starting. We missed each other when she was on the highway and I took a side road to Harper. Then I got caught in the storm with no rain gear and no Mrs. Admiral at camp when I got back. She came back about an hour after I got back and everything was ok. This storm part is in the video as I didn't take time to stop in the rain to take anymore photos.

Up next, Weekend 1, Day 2.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Someday I'd like to get out that way and experience some of that!
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

Quote Originally Posted by scotti158 View Post
    Someday I'd like to get out that way and experience some of that!

And me back your way to ride in the woods.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Hope Scoob's issue can be resolved before you need to borrow footwear from the shoe tree to hike back to camp.

Do like the true off-road sand washes, cow paths and gullies part of the video. Funny how some people think simply being on a dirt road is "Off-Roading" , there sure can be a difference. I just laugh at the pretentious comments of wanna-be adventure tourers who claim they have proven the "Off-Road" prowess of their machines after riding them a little bit on a graded dirt road quite suitable for a Cadillac.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Hope Scoob's issue can be resolved before you need to borrow footwear from the shoe tree to hike back to camp.

Do like the true off-road sand washes, cow paths and gullies part of the video. Funny how some people think simply being on a dirt road is "Off-Roading" , there sure can be a difference. I just laugh at the pretentious comments of wanna-be adventure tourers who claim they have proven the "Off-Road" prowess of their machines after riding them a little bit on a graded dirt road quite suitable for a Cadillac.

I saw some big bikes this past weekend in Enterprise. I can't imagine myself riding one of them on 90% of what I ride. I fall enough as it is but it would be way more on one of those bigg'ins. It is true, there are some who ride a gravel road and term it "off-road". At least there out trying.

Weekend One - Day Two

Mrs. Admiral lives. We ride together on day 2. I have a lot on the agenda to try and fit in for the days ride so lets get going.

Stopped at, and I'll call it a homesteader cemetery, the Littlefield Cemetery. Legend has it all the Littlefields passed away out at the nearby Littlefield Ranch. I found an obituary for Xeno Littlefield, buried here, and it looks like a son not buried here, married and lived elsewhere I presume so the legend may just be that. A legend.
    Xeno

The Matriarch

(Ontario Argus 12-4-1941The Ontario Argus
    Ontario, Oregon
    Dec. 4, 1941

Veteran Stockman Dies Here After Long Illness

Funeral services were held Monday at the Beatty funeral home for Xeno E.
    Littlefield, 66, who died at the Holy Rosary hospital last Saturday after
    several months illness. Interment was made at the family plot at the
    Skullsprings ranch. The Reverand Fred J. McConnelee was in charge of the
    service.

Mr. Littlefield, a tanner by trade, was born at Clinton, Iowa on March 22, 1875
    and came to Malheur County 48 years ago, settling in the Skullsprings region
    where he continued to make his home until a month ago, when he came to Ontario
    to be with his mother, Mrs. Esther Elliott.

He is survived by his mother, his wife, Mrs. Laura Littlefield, his son, and
    daughter-in-law, Mr. and Mrs. Raymond Claude of American Falls, Idaho, another
    son and a daughter.)

Eastern Oregon-Cottonwood Creek Day 2

More exploring for old homesteads. Didn't make it to the first old homestead ranch as the trail has washed out in many places throughout the years. During the non-rattlesnake season, I'll go back and maybe hike the rest of the way to the homestead. In Google Earth, I can still see there are buildings.

We then head off to find another homesteader ranch call Gugle Ranch or something like that.

The sagebrush looks like ranch protection. The map shows a trail up Cottonwood Creek to the ranch.

Well, I thought we were good to go. Unfortunately, the trail is overgrown and in other places washed out making it extremely tough to ride to the ranch. Maybe I'll return one day to bushwhack ride or hike my way into the Gugle Ranch. Google Earth still shows the ranch buildings so it's not a waste of time. It will be fun.

So we retreat back the way we came past the sagebrush sentries.

On the way out I spotted this water trough. Maybe this was moonshine for the cattle.

Heading to another homestead cabin and Mrs. Admiral spots this dam. We passed through the old Harry Littlefield Ranch and this is called Littlefield Reservoir. Wonder why it's named that. (Note: the Harry Littlefield Ranch is sometimes called Skull Springs Ranch on account the ranch is on Skull Creek. Go figure).

I believe this was hand built per se'.

Further on down the trail we make it to the Sutherland Cabin.

Owners have allowed access and people have used it in the past

But not within the last week or two that's for sure

Times getting short but I have another ranch on the list. However, we run it to this first. From a distance I'm asking myself, "self, what the heck is that down yonder".

"Bob's Mission Bus" I think it said. I wonder if the owner was related to the Partridge Family.

It was actually used as a cabin and there was a fence attached. I think it was for a horse or something but the hay was rotted so it's been a day or two since the owners had left.

Kind of got the whole Partridge Family color thing started on the bus. I think Bob thought he was Capt. Kaos. I believe Bob's mission failed.

And there ya go. End of the first weekend in the Eastern Oregon Desert. I should mention, we didn't make it to the ranch ruins we intended to but we made it on the next trip going on a different trail.

Next up, Weekend Two. We ride with the outlaws...or is it inlaws? Whatever!
    Last edited by admiral; 06-11-2018 at 11:23 AM.

So is the TW going to last the week?
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

Very nice thread as usual Admiral. I'm jealous of that toy hauler! Wow that is the life. Every ride I've been doing is in the tent and in the rain. That's the cats meow, high and dry!
    Husqvarna TE300i Fuel Injected 2-Stroke 2019
    Yamaha XT225 - 1999 Serow
    Yamaha TW200Z - 2010
    Yamaha BW200 Electric Start! - 1986
    Yamaha TTR225R - 2003
    Husqvarna 701 Enduro - 2017
    Kawasaki Prairie 650 - 2002

Quote Originally Posted by ejfranz View Post

So is the TW going to last the week?
    As of right now, Scoob ain’t making the trip. Had to use Squirrel for the Dug Bar ride withe Mountain Yawp, Wa Larry and Sidekick Chad. The XT200 (squirrel) did really well.

You folks could buy some land out there and start a TW ranch.indian land.jpg
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links