First Snow Ride of this Winter
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Been getting a few short rides in on the back 40 (BLM Land out behind my place), but up until a few days ago there's been no snow. Well, it snowed a few days ago so I decided I "needed" to get in another quick ride. I knew the snow would melt rather quickly, so I slapped on the chains and off I went. Unfortunately, I wasn't prepared for the snow (should have watched the weather forcast better), so I didn't get the screws put back on the front tire. Turns out, I probably should have taken 15 more minutes and put them on, but I was impatient. Still, it was fun!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghPZz26HCrQ[/media]
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Great video! love the winterizing pic. Just curious how does your dog stay on the bike? it seems like she/he would have to have one hell of a balancing act to be able to ride in the snow thats slippery/soft.
    ALEX-

My Current Rides:

DIRT:
    2013 yz450F (race bike)
    2011 Yz450F (practice bike)
    2008 Yz250F (full mod)
    2005 TTR125 (full mod Gf's bike)

Street:
    2009 DRZ400SM (full mod)
    2009 qlink XF200 (sumo build)
    2007 SDG 140cc big bore (supermoto)
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

Nice riding area! Good save on the biff. And the mules know you are crazy, but are glad you are riding the TW instead of them!

What kind of chains do you use?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Great video! for sure the mules knew you were nuts....but in a good way.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Monteer View Post
    Great video! love the winterizing pic. Just curious how does your dog stay on the bike? it seems like she/he would have to have one hell of a balancing act to be able to ride in the snow thats slippery/soft.

I think Lizrdbrth said it best in some thread somewhere a while back, "she's a stockdog and that's what they do" or words to that affect. I did place a small carpet pad on the cyclerack to giver her (Georgie) better grip. Though the TW was a bit out of sorts, she stayed on till I stopped, though normally she bails off when I tip over

This past video shows her riding and balancing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6LzwDUtfLA
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Quote Originally Posted by Bullspit View Post
    What kind of chains do you use?

I don't really know other than they are chains (non- cable) for a small tire car. Pops in-law found this single chain along side the road. I take the rear tire off to put them on and take them off as they are a tight fit and too difficult to put on with the tire mounted on the TW. But they work pretty good.

Mrgizmow gave me the idea to try short sheet metal screws as studs for the front tire. I use the shinko SR 244 and this tire has enought rubber for the studs. Wouldn't try them with the stock tire. I put them in earlier this fall, though there wasn't any snow or ice. They stayed in pretty good. I should have taken the extra time to put them back on for this ride, which is why my front tire slide out, I think. I'm gonna put them back on in anticipation of the next snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingnut View Post
    Great video! for sure the mules knew you were nuts....but in a good way.

I should have also stated that my wife I'm nuts too. But she's getting use to it!

When people think yer crazy they tend to leave you alone. Sometimes that's a win/win

We get so little snow around here that we have to pretend to need chains, but it's nice to know that they'll work. I'm guessing they make a noticable difference in mud, as well?

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I am just getting over a nasty cold / flu and watching your ride in the snow gave me a relapse! J/K!!!!

Long ago, when I was about 20 years old, I had a two wheel drive car get stuck in some mud. I put snow chains on and one would have thought I had shifted it into four wheel drive. After getting free I turned around and drove through the bad spot 3 or 4 more times just for the fun of it.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Lizrdbrth and Tony,

I have way more fun, and have more confidence in the snow, but the chains do make a differnce in mud. However, as Clint Eastwood would say, "A man's gotta know his limitations"! Either way, the chains work better than tires without chains in mud, but I still avoid it most of the time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links