Recomendations for riding alone in the bush.
Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree159Likes

Thread: Recomendations for riding alone in the bush.

Recomendations for riding alone in the bush.

New TW rider. I want to go exploring in the woods here, and am wondering what you solo riders pack for being safe in the woods... I ran a BW200 for years but always with a friend who has other interests now. (new bride) I always packed spare batteries for my backwoods GPS, a few waters, fishing rod and gear, cell phone.
    I am thinking of picking up a life straw, kick starter assy to install, a box of snack bars, Jerry can with 1-3 gallons of fuel, a booster pack for recharging, a small 12v compressor,
    What do you pack when riding solo? Appreciate the input.
    Ron

A tracking device such as a Spot or one of the other devices that will allow somone to pinpoint your location should you drop off the radar.
    Honda CB150
    Triumph Cub
    Honda 250
    Triumph Bonneville
    Current Bike: TW200 Named Sloth
    She’s slow and can climb a tree!

The tools and know how to actually fix a flat on the trail. It's harder than most realize, and the weakest link for sure. The TW is generally very reliable, a Kickstarter and a way to fix a flat and your odds go way up.
    admiral, troll, ejfranz and 3 others like this.
    Husqvarna TE300i Fuel Injected 2-Stroke 2019
    Yamaha XT225 - 1999 Serow
    Yamaha TW200Z - 2010
    Yamaha BW200 Electric Start! - 1986
    Yamaha TTR225R - 2003
    Husqvarna 701 Enduro - 2017
    Kawasaki Prairie 650 - 2002

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Tjmay View Post
    A tracking device such as a Spot or one of the other devices that will allow somone to pinpoint your location should you drop off the radar.

SPOT. This would be my #1 item had I known better back a few years. Have one now and don't leave without it, even when I don't ride into a bush!

Tire spoons and patches. You already mentioned air compressor. I use a hand pump so I don't have to rely on electrocution. I rode for years without getting a flat. Within the last year...twice.

Life straw. Another excellent item. I ran out of water on the same trip as I needed the SPOT and didn't have one. I've not used it yet after carrying it for a few years but always have it.

Tools. Carry a 1/4 inch socket wrench with an 8mm socket, 10mm socket and 12 mm socket. Takes up very little room and you will need the 8mm socket if you have to remove the side covers. Think rock poked hole in side cover and you can temporarily patch the hole with steel stick but you have to remove some of the material the rock just bashed in towards the engine. Happened in real life where the repair could be made with steel stick but the side cover material pushed into the clutch basket. You get the idea I hope.

So, with that, carry steel stick. I think JB weld makes it. Can come in different flavors (types). Again, doesn't take up much room in a bag.

You may want to install the kick starter before you leave that way you don't have to carry it along with you taking up valuable space. haha, I know what you meant and just trying to be Mr. Funny man. Kick starter is excellent to have if the battery goes kaput. Yep, had that happen too. If not a kick starter, get one of those pocket sized power starters you can hookup to a battery and jump start it. Saw ejfranz use it to help someone start their bike. Again, doesn't take up much room.

I also like to carry my "Crescent-hammer". It's a ball peen hammer head welded onto the end of a crescent wrench. I used an 8" crescent wrench.

I also carry a tow rope.

All this fits into a small bag I carry on the back. You can see the size of the bag on the back of my XT200 in this picture. Not too big.

I also got the idea from Mountain Yawp to use a Fanny Pack and strap it around the gas tank to carry some extra things. Could be your tools but in my case it's snacks and extra water bottles. I've also used a horse saddle horn bag but they also make about the same thing for ATV's called a tank bag. Does the same thing as the fanny pack.

An extra chain master-link is a good idea I've been told. I carry one but never used it. Some place this on a key-ring for the key.

And one last thing you may want to consider depending on where you live. I'll let you think about this one based on your own wants, needs, and personal values. I'll put it this way. Last week I saw a fresh pile of bear poop in the middle of the trail. I wouldn't want to break down in the area and have to walk out.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    SPOT. This would be my #1 item had I known better back a few years. Have one now and don't leave without it, even when I don't ride into a bush!
    Wait till you see the new one they just put out, on back order, will have one soon!
    You can text cell phones from it through satellite (and they you), so they say
    Husqvarna TE300i Fuel Injected 2-Stroke 2019
    Yamaha XT225 - 1999 Serow
    Yamaha TW200Z - 2010
    Yamaha BW200 Electric Start! - 1986
    Yamaha TTR225R - 2003
    Husqvarna 701 Enduro - 2017
    Kawasaki Prairie 650 - 2002

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyJeeper View Post
    Wait till you see the new one they just put out, on back order, will have one soon!
    You can text cell phones from it through satellite (and they you), so they say
    Someday we won't be able to use the excuse..."I was lost". It's so fun telling my overnight ride adventure story to those who I think I haven't told it to before.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Kick starter good idea, put a 12v port on your ride so can charge stuff and run the compressor. Put ride-on in the tires also. Your list looks good tho, life straw, few ways to start fire. Maybe a tarp for emerg. cover. X- ring chain will lessen breakage, heavy duty front tube.
    2005 TW200
    2007 Sportster 1200

Thanks for the ideas and product suggestions. Please keep them coming.
    As far as animal control issues are concerned, (bear in particular) Ive seen lots of fresh bear poop on the logging roads, and felt safe being able to hide in my service truck, if the need arose. What are you packing for personal protection? Remember that I am in Canada, and rules for what may be carried may be different up hear than for our American cousins...
    I like the crescent wrench hammer (Frankenwrench) idea. I have a bunch of old adjustable wrenches and ball peens around. A small hatchet if your camping I imagine, and could be used for hand to hand combat with a bear in extreme situations.. :>
    I see a similar product to the Spot called Inreach by garmin, with mapping on it. I will look at these. I understand subscriptions vary.
    How big of a cargo box are you packing this in? Im eyeing the 8 gallon one but would like to be able to affix a jerry can behind it off my rack. I'm starting a rack build today and will try to incorporate that.
    ejfranz and turbodieseli4i6 like this.

I don't have a kickstarter, but carry the an emergency Jump starter - see https://www.tw200forum.com/forum/gen...tml#post765521 for more info.
    I have not used it on my bike , but used it on "Smoke rudder's" (AKA side kick Chad) XT225 this last weekend to start it.
    You should also check out if the TW members in your area would like to go for a ride. I can think of John AKA Elvesus as he is in Nanaimo.
    I carry a SPOT, portable air compressor, Flat tire kit and have slim or ride on in the tube.
    I also carry a home made survival kit that has: Knife, fire starter, fishing gear, solar blanket, etc in it if I need to spend the night - I need to add my life straw to it. You could carry bear spray, but I have never had any issues with black bears. A DualSportBC member I know had to use his bear spray on a grizzly he came across on an interior road. His advise is to have it in an easy access spot on your bike. Not in an enclosed pack.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

The jerry can and 3 gallons of fuel makes me think Ron is planning to venture farther afield than most of us since that equates to over 300 odd miles of range, more than one typically can do on secondary roads in one day. So where is the matching camping gear to spend the nights required to burn all that gas? Maybe a smaller fuel container might be more appropriate.
    With all the bulk and weight of all the listed gear the bike is going to be much more dangerous to ride than a lightly loaded bike so I would add first aid gear too for the inevitable tip overs that pile of gear will likely induce.
    Balance the gear with the intended duration and difficulty of anticipated ride. Some expedition folks advise to lay all the intended gear out, then leave half of it behind.
    Any cargo box behind the rider will get in the way of a clean ejection sequence to the rear should need arise. Sometimes brush and tight quarters require rider to slip off bike quickly. If tipped over while on bike that box can make it dangerously difficult to get out from under the bike. Plan and ride accordingly.
    A couple cans of bear spray, one to use and one to loose, should deter most bruins without fear of legal ramifications from shooting one.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links