100 miles with 2 riders?
Close

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rainfly

Thread: 100 miles with 2 riders?

There are a few areas where I would love to ride with a friend from my house to go camping and they are all along roads that are get up to 50mph and one of them is around 100 miles away. Any of you go on many 50+ milles trips with a second rider? Both of us are around 140lbs. Any tips for doing this?
    Being realistic is the most commonly travelled road to mediocrity.

Hidden Content

The bike can hang. Stay alert, yield to faster traffic whenever you can and you'll be fine. We did it all the time before she got her own bikes. Fitting all the gear for two on it can be the bigger challenge....

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I'm no small guy (6'5" 260lbs) almost as much as both of you! I've ridden with my son on the back (he's 120lbs) and pulled a trailer! Like lizrdbrth mentioned, yield when you can, but the Tdub can do it!

You've got a friend in the Bracket Business! Hidden Content

Get your TW200 Parts at ProCycle! Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I haven't had a passenger on mine yet but I have the cycleracks rear rack and noticed it has handy looking places for passenger to hold on to. Do you have a rear rack on yours?
    Mike Carter. Woodland, California (NorCal). '89 Tw200 (Black Widow Edition). Blood red Jimbo shield, Cycleracks, Nuvi 500 GPS, Kolpin fuel pack jr., D shield bark busters, 55t rear sprocket, Golden boy front tire, Ricochet shield.

We two up all the time. It's no problem!
    Hidden Content

2005 TW200 (SOLD)
    2013 DR650

me and my wife ride 2up on mine that far. other than a numb butt i have no complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by clifgray View Post
    There are a few areas where I would love to ride with a friend from my house to go camping and they are all along roads that are get up to 50mph and one of them is around 100 miles away. Any of you go on many 50+ milles trips with a second rider? Both of us are around 140lbs. Any tips for doing this?

I am 6'2" and 185#, and my lady is similar. We ride double with daypacks, hiking staffs, first aid kit, Kolpin 1.25 gallon tank, Harley-Davidson saddlebags for toolkit and sundries, and fire supression kit (ax, shovel, fire extinguisher) on paved and dirt roads. 50 mph is fine, so is 55 and 60 mph if conditions allow it. We slow down to 3 mph when the going is soft sand or loose cobblestones. We seem to burn a little oil at 65 mph, so I try to keep it around 55 - 60 mph on the pavement. The TW 200 is able to handle these loads without problems. On washboard roads I slow down to keep the hammering to a minimum since the suspension is mostly bottomed out. But the iron horse has never let us down. We have 32,100 miles on our 2006 and have shared the seat for hundreds of days together. She doesn't want to learn to ride by herself, so I drive and she is my passenger. Oregon highway truck scales are always on (a public service, maybe?) so we occasionally weigh if the weighmaster is gone home...our gross weight is never less than 700 lbs and often is 735 or 750 lbs. Do people stare at us as we pile and strap our gear down, then climb on and go for a ride? Sure they do. We smile and give them a little wave.

I think you'll find your TW is a very capable machine for riding double. As others have said before on this forum, if you can figure out a way to tie it on, under, or beside a CycleRack, this bike can probably carry it. We don't do jumps, wheelies, hillclimbs or any contests. We ride in sand, gravel, dirt, rutted 2-tracks, logging roads, backcountry roads, desert roads of OR, AZ and CA, mountain forest roads of OR, MT, and Canada.

We recommend a rest break every hour to stretch the legs and visit the trees. We're retired in our 60s, so we need to stop more often than the younger set. It also helps me, the driver, stay alert.

This forum has provided us many hours of enjoyable reading and valuable tips about maintenance, riding safety, and amazing upgrades and custom ideas. Our bike is stock except I had a welder drop the rear footpegs a little to accommodate her longer legs...oh, and we added the CycleRacks and side supports to keep the H-D leather saddlebags out of the spokes. It was a pawn shop item, I needed something cheap to carry a laptop on rainy days in Eugene, and we've made these saddlebags work for our support boxes on our day-trips.
    Hambone likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rainfly View Post
    I am 6'2" and 185#, and my lady is similar. We ride double with daypacks, hiking staffs, first aid kit, Kolpin 1.25 gallon tank, Harley-Davidson saddlebags for toolkit and sundries, and fire supression kit (ax, shovel, fire extinguisher) on paved and dirt roads. 50 mph is fine, so is 55 and 60 mph if conditions allow it. We slow down to 3 mph when the going is soft sand or loose cobblestones. We seem to burn a little oil at 65 mph, so I try to keep it around 55 - 60 mph on the pavement. The TW 200 is able to handle these loads without problems. On washboard roads I slow down to keep the hammering to a minimum since the suspension is mostly bottomed out. But the iron horse has never let us down. We have 32,100 miles on our 2006 and have shared the seat for hundreds of days together. She doesn't want to learn to ride by herself, so I drive and she is my passenger. Oregon highway truck scales are always on (a public service, maybe?) so we occasionally weigh if the weighmaster is gone home...our gross weight is never less than 700 lbs and often is 735 or 750 lbs. Do people stare at us as we pile and strap our gear down, then climb on and go for a ride? Sure they do. We smile and give them a little wave.

I think you'll find your TW is a very capable machine for riding double. As others have said before on this forum, if you can figure out a way to tie it on, under, or beside a CycleRack, this bike can probably carry it. We don't do jumps, wheelies, hillclimbs or any contests. We ride in sand, gravel, dirt, rutted 2-tracks, logging roads, backcountry roads, desert roads of OR, AZ and CA, mountain forest roads of OR, MT, and Canada.

Hi fellow Oregonian! Wow - that is impressive. I was not aware the TW had that much capacity.

Are you running the stock 14/50 sprockets?

I'd like to see a picture of your bike sometime if you have a chance.

Thanks,

I ride two up with a cycle rack and dirt-bagz saddle bags often....about 350 lbs all up...we are both 5'6" 140 lbs 47 tooth rear sprocket

We did a 160 mile ride in Death Valley last month...50-60 mph the bike does great....Slow waaay down for the rough stuff...Train the girl to tuck and roll good....

I always ride with my tool kit, spare tubes, pump, and extra fuel in the side bags. One 30 litre pack on her back, one strapped across the cycle rack...sometimes with a climbing rope and picnic too. She complains occasionally of bumpy roads and on descents she gets thrown forward....but it's doable for 6+ hours a day if you want it! Take breaks often and stay focused!

Sponosred Links