OR Dunes
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: OR Dunes

OR Dunes

Well... I can say I tried it, but... The TW isn't for the sand in my opinion. Aired down to 10 lbs. Just couldn't get any traction, and when I did the front tire had a mind of its own. I know it can't be the operator.

Vera will stay away from the sand from now on.

Tried my WR450 last year WITH a paddle tire and that wasn't fun either. Damn bikes, I know the rider isn't the issue

IMG_4662.JPG
    Look Ma, no kickstand needed
    '14 TW200 'Vera'
    '04 WR450
    '05 Raptor 660

Love the TW in the sand but it'll make you work & sweat for it, just gotta keep-on moving.
    Problem is mentally the fat tires tend to make your brain think it'll be smooth sailing. HaHa sure... if you had 4 fat tires instead of 2 (or even 3).

That looks like such a beautiful area with the sand and trees.
    JerseyJeeper likes this.

It's not very good in the sand and after owning mine for a month I'm beginning to believe it's just not a very good bike. It's dangerously underpowered on the street and the ground clearance and suspension can't handle the roots, rocks and boulders that make up the trails in my area. At least not with my 200 pound body on it.
    I think it would be an awesome kid's first bike, and it might be good on the back of a camper for a quick run through a campground.
    But for a full sized adult trying to ride 50/50 street and trail it's just not enough. It's well built and reliable as hell but I think my short time as a TW owner is about to come to an end. I think I'm more of a KLR 650 guy, or at least a Yamaha WR250. The little TW is just not good enough at anything other than being cheap and very easy to putt around on. I'll probably be posting an ad on this site in a few days.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

When riding in deep sand you have to let the bike float around. You will NEVER make a bike go exactly where you want. Just try to guide it the general direction you want it to go. Ride a bike on ice once and you'll get the idea.
    JerseyJeeper likes this.
    2017 XR650l
    2014 NC700X
    2005 ST-1300
    Wanted TW450

Quote Originally Posted by Wickedcoolname View Post
    It's not very good in the sand and after owning mine for a month I'm beginning to believe it's just not a very good bike. It's dangerously underpowered on the street and the ground clearance and suspension can't handle the roots, rocks and boulders that make up the trails in my area. At least not with my 200 pound body on it.
    I think it would be an awesome kid's first bike, and it might be good on the back of a camper for a quick run through a campground.
    But for a full sized adult trying to ride 50/50 street and trail it's just not enough. It's well built and reliable as hell but I think my short time as a TW owner is about to come to an end. I think I'm more of a KLR 650 guy, or at least a Yamaha WR250. The little TW is just not good enough at anything other than being cheap and very easy to putt around on. I'll probably be posting an ad on this site in a few days.
    That's an interesting perspective. I think it's adequate for speed on a street, but inadequate for highway use. I find it not lacking in acceleration from a stop, but definitely lacking in acceleration once you reach about 45 mph. So, it's limited as more of a local street, backroad and offroad bike. If you're looking to win the race, definitely look elsewhere. I think the appeal is that it's NOT a race bike, and that it's low to the ground and easier to control than a lot of dual sport bikes. More like a mule than a thoroughbred.
    TWy to make a TWip to the TWails to make some TWacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Wickedcoolname View Post
    I have what I think is a fairly good perspective. There's no sense in arguing, some people have differant wants in a bike. I don't personally think your portrayal is accurate though, but to each his own. Good luck selling.
    Husqvarna TE300i Fuel Injected 2-Stroke 2019
    Yamaha XT225 - 1999 Serow
    Yamaha TW200Z - 2010
    Yamaha BW200 Electric Start! - 1986
    Yamaha TTR225R - 2003
    Husqvarna 701 Enduro - 2017
    Kawasaki Prairie 650 - 2002

Never underestimate the TW, the lack of hp will make you a better rider.
    KTM KTM blah blah blah yes they are cutting edge, wicked fast and powerful but will hurt you in a heartbeat when you run outta talent.
    Here is video of the TW going up the Soggy dry lake sand hill and ends with a clip of a rider who failed to follow me up. He then starts treating his shiny new $$ KTM 300 like an old frisbee. Sad
    The bike is more capable than it looks... I love it

Dprimero, nice pic of the TW at the dunes.

As for the other member who doesn't like the TW, you make some valid points and correctly identified the TWs weak spots. However, for the right rider and the right riding area it is hard to beat the TW. The KLR650 is another bike that gets a lot of love and a lot of hate for good reason. I own both and can easily say that all the good and bad reviews are correct about both bikes. I personally find the glass half full on both bikes, not half empty.
    Ken, JerseyJeeper, ejfranz and 6 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mountain yawp View Post
    Dprimero, nice pic of the TW at the dunes.

As for the other member who doesn't like the TW, you make some valid points and correctly identified the TWs weak spots. However, for the right rider and the right riding area it is hard to beat the TW. The KLR650 is another bike that gets a lot of love and a lot of hate for good reason. I own both and can easily say that all the good and bad reviews are correct about both bikes. I personally find the glass half full on both bikes, not half empty.
    Well put, and quite true.
    jtstdub likes this.
    Husqvarna TE300i Fuel Injected 2-Stroke 2019
    Yamaha XT225 - 1999 Serow
    Yamaha TW200Z - 2010
    Yamaha BW200 Electric Start! - 1986
    Yamaha TTR225R - 2003
    Husqvarna 701 Enduro - 2017
    Kawasaki Prairie 650 - 2002

The TW200 is a great "All-Around" little dual sport. Jack of all trades, master of none type of deal. There is terrain is is NOT suited for. There is also terrain it is ideally suited for. When you want to carry cargo, slowly, through the woods for trail maintenance it is awesome as a pack mule. It works best when gathered in a pack with other TW200's, then it's a load of fun with other people all riding the same bike. I still intend to make on of the MOAB trips, SOMEDAY. Taking a large block of time off from work is more difficult than I thought it would be, but I digress.

You won't win a race with 16 HP, unless you are racing children on 50cc bikes. But with the right gears, a tire swap, and plenty of 1st and 2nd gear, it can get up some very gnarly trail. The main issue being clearance and the poorly damped suspension. Some guys do a fork swap, the rear shock is harder, it would require a totally custom damper. You would STILL have only 6 inches of travel. But it can be plated, driven to work, driven to the grocery store, coffee shop, grandmas house, and also the romp into the trails. A purpose built trail bike also sucks on the road, gets worse fuel economy, and STILL has to have the suspension tuned even if you spent $7400+ on it.(The road I had to take recently with my Beta Xtrainer, I had the suspension expertly lowered 2 inches and revalved front and rear. What a fricking HUGE difference in hard terrain. Just a different bike now, much safer).

When I buy another TW (maybe later this year) I am having a custom rear shock made, and also a total fork rebuild and revalve. After my recent experience with fork tuning, I can say it was worth it.
    2017 Beta Xtrainer 300 - Suspension modified for height
    2013 Yamaha TW200 (Sold but not forgotten, possibly in the future when space permits)
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650R (sold) Fun for a year, then mega garage DUST collector
    1985 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk (sold) FUN - but became a dust collector
    1984 Honda CB450SC Nighthawk (sold) Primary transportation for almost 5 years
    Various other 2 wheel rolling junk not worthy of mention....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links