TAT summer of 2020
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: TAT summer of 2020

TAT summer of 2020

Been a member for a while but first post.
    I am planning to ride the TAT, or some form of it, across the US on my TW200 summer of 2020. Lots of time to plan.
    I've got my 2012 TW, cycleracks, panniers, wide foot pegs, raised bars, bigger front sprocket.
    Plan is to fish, camp, drink and go to events as we go.
    Planned speed is 30-35 mph. Yup slow and smell the roses. It's like bicycle turing but you don't have to peddle. May even spend multiple days in nice places.
    I have 6 people from Cali who say they are coming with me. Three are family members so I know I got 4 for sure.
    Open to suggestions or more riders who want to really go slow across these great states of ours.
    Also I know this is an old subject so please don't hammer too badly, but.. what other tank can fit reasonably well other than the clark xt225 tank? I want at least 4 gallons. Used is perfectly fine.
    Thanks.

John
    Elvesus, Fred, TopPredator and 6 others like this.

Senior Member Leisure Time Larry's Avatar
    Somebody put the 4.1 gallon Clarke Racing tank for the XT225 on...saw it on the Tw thread on adv rider forum a few weeks ago.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-55 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114 folding shifter

Yes, great write-up and I know the xt225 tank will work. I am looking for a cheaper option like possibly a yz465 5 gallon tank or ? that a member knows will work.
    PlacerLode likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

The XT350 tank works great. Find a steel one if possible - otherwise buy a Clarke tank. There is minor work involved to get it attached, and some seat modification is required, but the end result is well worth the effort.

Also, do update your seat with a Seat-Concepts cover. It's amazing how much difference the width makes on long-distance rides.
    Hidden Content Midlife Crisis Mode - Activated! Hidden Content
    My 2-Wheel Babies: 2017 Versys X 300 - 2006 Kawasaki Nomad 1600 - 2009 Piaggio MP3 500 - 2014 Honda Ruckus
    My Other Recreational Rides: 1991 Bluebird Prison RV - Cheap Kayak - Burning Man Bike

Quote Originally Posted by LuvNot View Post
    The XT350 tank works great. Find a steel one if possible - otherwise buy a Clarke tank. There is minor work involved to get it attached, and some seat modification is required, but the end result is well worth the effort.

Also, do update your seat with a Seat-Concepts cover. It's amazing how much difference the width makes on long-distance rides.
    Thanks for the tank tip.
    Seat-Concepts cover definitely on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by jlynch View Post
    I am planning to ride the TAT, or some form of it, across the US on my TW200 summer of 2020. Lots of time to plan.
    I've got my 2012 TW, cycleracks, panniers, wide foot pegs, raised bars, bigger front sprocket.
    Planned speed is 30-35 mph. Yup slow and smell the roses. It's like bicycle turing but you don't have to peddle. May even spend multiple days in nice places.
    I have 6 people from Cali who say they are coming with me. Three are family members so I know I got 4 for sure.
    Open to suggestions or more riders who want to really go slow across these great states of ours.
    Also I know this is an old subject so please don't hammer too badly, but.. what other tank can fit reasonably well other than the clark xt225 tank? I want at least 4 gallons. Used is perfectly fine.
    Thanks.

John
    Sounds like a huge undertaking, but once in a lifetime adventure. Good Luck!
    PlacerLode likes this.
    You'll never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office!

Theirs a ass for every seat!

I bought this 4 gallon-ish Clarke tank used and it came with a whole 'nother TW wrapped around it. blue gizmo.jpg

The XT tank is a fairly clean install and the added weight when full is less noticeable than I had anticipated. It is known to work with install threads here. A YZ or other tank may bring unknown complications.
    I would suggest that the tank be mounted as far back, and as tipped as possible at the expense of the seat. Goal is to avoid conflict with bars. The already raised bars sure will help. ROX rotating risers can also free up additional clearance and ease muscles after a long day in the saddle.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

sounds like the perfect trip I always admired the travel stories of Neil Peart the drummer for the Canadian Power Trio RUSH who always rides his GS between shows (around the world) and his riding buddy always chooses routes off the interstate including dirt roads which I think is a little crazy on GS but he can afford to buy new bikes whenever he wants!

When has has extra time between shows he stops at the little mom and pop gas stations and the little out of the way motels.

I totally urge you guys and gals to go to Neil's website and click on his "Far and Wide" movie trailer you will love it (in the center of the main page there are scrolling options) he also has numerous excellent books of his travels including a 55,000 mile North American trip after his daughter died in a car crash and his wife a year later of cancer it is an amazing story of healing thanks to a motorcycle and the open road

Welcome to the official website of Neil Peart

It's also my favorite Rock band of all time but this guy is the real deal motorcycle guy rivaling the best on our forum I only wish I could live the dream like Neil

RE tanks I prefer the XT350 OEm steel tank you can find them for around $150 rust free with a few dings if you keep looking. Clarke makes a 4.1 gallon XT350 plastic tank you might prefer over the TW tank but I honestly don't recall anybody using one on a TW

The range of a TW at the conservative travel speeds you mention is surprising and you may not need a monster primary tank perhaps an extra 2 gallon RotoPak etc may do the trick that way when you don't need the extra weight you can leave it almost empty

PS Leisure Time Larry is correct I think the Clarke XT225 tank was a little more capacity than the XT350 Clarke tank but either would work

daring_escape.jpg
    Last edited by PlacerLode; 07-24-2018 at 11:19 PM.
    buellzebub and Old n dirty like this.
    "It's Like Warm Apple Pie"

Hidden Content

Heres a cool 2014 story with pics of Neil and his riding style from the magazine BMWON

Welcome to the official website of Neil Peart
    NeilPeart_BackroadsBackbeats_M_000008.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PlacerLode; 07-24-2018 at 11:17 PM.
    buellzebub and Mel like this.
    "It's Like Warm Apple Pie"

Hidden Content

Senior Member Till Death Dual Us Sport™'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jlynch View Post
    Thanks.

John
    I had to Google TAT acronym. Now I know, Trans American Trail! This sounds like an incredible experience. I would looove to be part of this! My mind is going crazy right now thinking about all the scenarios and planning and gear that must be involved! I'm going to start watching videos as to get an idea of the terrain and see if it's something I feel I can handle. I'm going to search for some sort of list that highlights some the must have items. I live in Corona. Where would such an excursion even begin...meaning where is the nearest entry point to the TAT?
    buellzebub likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links