Africa
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree90Likes

Thread: Africa

Africa

I am back.
    We spent 3 weeks in Africa. The first 5 days were spent doing a van trip down to Sossusvlei Namibia to visit the sand dune and watch the total Lunar eclipse.
    After that, we spent 14 days riding a BMW 1200 R GS through Namibia and Botswana with a van trip to Victoria Fall in Zimbabwe.
    The trip also included a few safaris where we were in trucks and a few river cruises.

If anyone is interested in going to Africa, I highly recommend Renedian Adventures. We did the Wildlife and Waterfalls tour which was 99% pavement with a couple gravel roads and some sand.
    Lorie - I was the only one in our group that was able to ride the bike through the sand standing on the pegs - enjoying riding sand has its benefits.

I will post some pictures later.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

Alright for some - all I get to do is to visit Moab ......
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Yeah cuz I hear that Moab just sucks... Couldn't keep a straight face typing that. Would it help if we painted a couple donkeys to look like zebra.
    I went on an African adventure once. I don't think Somalia really captures all the essence and beauty the continent has to offer. Unless messin' your trousers is what you're after, then I give it 5 stars.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Motorcycle pictures

Getting the bike and checking it out.

Some of the riders and bikes before we head out.

At a rest stop with support vehicle - All roadside rest areas have no toilets so we use the "bush" - ladies to the right ( you know as ladies are always right )

Another rest area, ladies used the rest room ($2 south african rand or around $0.20) Men just used the bush.

A view from the bike or AKA Linda's perspective

Maun - one of the places we stayed

Leaving a fueling station. The attendants were so happy to get a $10 Rand tip. It cost ~ $220 Rand when the bike had 1 bar left on the fuel gauge.

The last 2 riders. The last rider, Cliff, has a orange cover on his head lamp and drove most of the trip in the oncoming lane so that the lead rider new we were all accounted for. Cliff always joked that riding was the same as in Canada for him as he was always in the right lane while the rest of us were in the left lane - Purple you would have been at home on these roads.

The distance and average fuel consumption for the trip.

Top speed I hit on paved roads was 180 KMPH while passing some lorries (Linda was not with me at that time, but we did get up to 170 passing lorries, which she did not like) On a gravel road - no pinions allowed - I did get up to 140, but dropped backed to 110 as you never know when a Warthog might decide to cross the road.

Next set of pictures will be of some of the wildlife we saw.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

I'm so envious.

What an amazing trip! Will definitely have a look into this. Thanks for sharing
    admiral, Badgerflorida and ejfranz like this.

Sounds like an awesome trip. I'm scared of lions, cobra snakes and giraffes so I know I won't be going. I'll live this ride through your pictures and words.

Nice tents.

Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

More Random Pictures

Kris, we only spent 1 night in a tent; I will need to load those to share latter. We did not see any Lions, the cobras we saw were in an enclosure and the Giraffes, well we saw a fair number of them.

A nature walk with locals from a small village - We had an interpreter to translate.

A Kalahari Ferrari - that is what our guide, Mike, called them. They came in 1, 2 or 3 "donkey" power

Sun setting on one of our safaris

Guinea fowl

Water buck and Impala

Baboon - we saw lots of these along the roads

Africa's fast food - notice the M on the butt; AKA McDonalds - Impalas

A hippo still feeding in the morning. They spend their days in the water and their nights feeding on land.

Elephant having a drink - We saw hundreds of elephants

Painted dogs (endangered) we search for them for some time.

Linda on the putting green at Victoria Falls Hotel with one of the locals in the back ground - note: tail is down so it is relaxed

Part of Victoria Falls

Some entertainment at Victoria Falls Hotel

The shadow of us riding an African Elephant. These are rescued elephants from a draught that were taken in by locals and then released. They started to seek out humans for food so were moved to a reserve and were trained via a reward system to allow humans to ride them. 1/2 the fee to ride them goes to their upkeep.

Getting to feed and interact with the Elephant after our ride

Group Photo

Sunset from the deck of our "hut"

Bull Elephant on his way to a watering hole
    Last edited by ejfranz; 08-17-2018 at 10:04 AM.

Wow what an adventure. Thanks for sharing. Cheers
    admiral and ejfranz like this.
    01 SOLD
    96 SOLD
    89 restored SOLD
    89 (restoration in process)
    05 (restoration in process)
    03 SOLD
    04 in great condition

Cool trip. Thanks for sharing.
    ejfranz likes this.
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links