Left Fork Danskin Creek Trail 443 and 442
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Left Fork Danskin Creek Trail 443 and 442

Left Fork Danskin Creek Trail 443 and 442

What was gonna be 3 riders turned into another lone wolf ride.

Mechanical problems with rider who was gonna join us and Mrs. Admiral not feeling well left me to fend for myself. I shall overcome.

Trail 443 is an old logging road turned into an ATV trail with a steep entrance/exit right off an old logging landing.

I looked at the State Trail map and I should be able to make a loop out of this ride by heading north or south when I connect into trail 442. That is the plan!!!!

The trail doesn't look overly used but it has been cleared in the past. Fact is, I don't see any fresh tracks on the trail other than critter tracks.

There were dozens of high, extremely high water bars. I felt like I was competing in a TW steeplechase. Thankfully, I don't have to jump that tree just beyond the water bar. But I could if I had too...not!

Came around a corner and though it was just for a split second, I saw this huge animal jump across the trail and head up the hill. Not shown in pictures or video, I did get close to it and in was a great big Mule Deer Doe. Body wise bigger than most White Tail Bucks. I did see another deer with her and I assume it was her almost adult sized fawn.

Took a little adventure break at the junction of trails 443 and 442.

I decide to head north on trail 442. Unfortunately, about a 1/2 mile later the trail was washed out by the creek. I could've made it through but I didn't see any recent ATV tracks or repair of the washout so I hesitated to go further alone not knowing what the trail was gonna be like later. On the way back to the junction I saw a pretty bird nest. Time for a picture.

So I took off heading south on 442 when after a mile or two I ran into the washout from hell. No way am I ever gonna try this one alone. What is suppose to be an ATV trail looks more like a very steep single track. I'm guessing only deer and elk use it now.

At one time the logging road crossed this ravine and you can see the roadbed on the other side. Again, maybe with another rider and a winch, I might try it.

Sad thing was, I was less than a mile from the highway. It's right down there!!!

So, with no way out I headed back the way I came. Not that the view and riding wasn't good.

But as I was riding I saw a sign on the hillside. Kind of out of place so I stopped here and went for a hike.

Let me tell you. My thought was, "I hiked all the way up here for this". Great views but a let down as far as the sign goes and what it meant.

It's fairly obvious this old forest service enclosure and sign haven't seen any attention for a long, long time.

Sometimes you should ride the way you came. Coming around another ravine I saw this plaque on a rock. I didn't see it when I was going the other direction though reviewing the video I could see it then. Just wasn't looking that way when I was headed the other direction.

(This Photo is from the www and not mine). When I got back home I did a little research. Turns out this was a memorial plaque for four Wild-land Firefighters who lost their lives while fighting the 1986 West Anderson Creek Fire not far from here. 19 Firefighters were being transported on a National Guard 5 Ton Dump Truck headed back to camp when the road narrowed and the truck overturned killing four of the nineteen on board. Tough deal to see.

Here's an old logging road number sign from back in the day. FS 649. It's now known as Trail 443 and parts of 442.

After I got back up to the end of the trail at the landing, I headed back home...the long way home of course.

About 1/2 of this was the ATV Trail (Purple track) just east of the hiking trail 029.

With the washouts, now I know why I didn't see many ATV or motorcycle tracks. Still, good times.
    Last edited by admiral; 10-31-2018 at 02:09 PM.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Life is to short to keep waiting for others.....good for you.....Fall is not a good time to take any chances and many if not all recoveries are because someone took a shortcut or had a bad case of "get there come hell or high water".....it reminds me of that old saying...."there are old pilots and bold pilots but not many old and bold pilots...… "

When I got a Sno Cat I promised everyone, including myself, that I would not let it kill me and that if anything looked sketchy I would turn back and take the sure route home...
    admiral likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff View Post
    Life is to short to keep waiting for others.....good for you.....Fall is not a good time to take any chances and many if not all recoveries are because someone took a shortcut or had a bad case of "get there come hell or high water".....it reminds me of that old saying...."there are old pilots and bold pilots but not many old and bold pilots...… "

When I got a Sno Cat I promised everyone, including myself, that I would not let it kill me and that if anything looked sketchy I would turn back and take the sure route home...
    The first washout wasn't that bad in and of itself but I could see the trail on the other side didn't look very used. My thought was the trail could get worse ahead. I was pretty stoked thinking I was gonna make the highway when I went the other direction and was pretty disappointed to see how bad this washout was. I hate turning around and going back out the way I came when it's not a planned out and back but for some of the reason's you mention I didn't hesitate to turn back. Ended up actually enjoying the ride back as most of it looks new going the other direction. I'd like to think I'm gonna be an old TW rider and less of a bold TW rider...though I still find a way to get in a pickle once in a while.
    bartruff, Mel, Dryden-Tdub and 2 others like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Fantastic photos
    admiral likes this.

Garden Valley has Sand Hollow beat hands down for fun & challenging nearby riding options. Frosty Hollow sounds like a nice place to hang your hat and plan to enjoy retirement.

P.S.- I wondered what got you to hike up the hill, the plant enclosure sign wasn't explained before.
    admiral likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Young and dumb and full of cum.....back in 1972 the local Honda Dealer ask me to ride one of the new SL 250 Dual Sport bikes.....so away I go by myself telling no one where I was going or when I would get back....had a 40 mile loop with a mix of highways, dirt roads and a difficult trail....when I got to the trail, I was about half way... and I had to cross a river running full in the early summer....the only way across the river was on the trail...... with the entry up stream about 25 yards from the exit...

Of course I plunged right in and managed to get across ….but once I did, there was no way to go back across without another person and a winch …. turns out the next 10 miles of trail had not been maintained.....it was old growth timber with no way to ride around the trees that had fell and blocked the trail....so I had no choice but to scoot under the ones I could and lift the bike over the ones I couldn't....that sucker must have weighed 350 pounds and I beat hell out of it before I got to a road at about 10 pm and limped home....

When I returned the bike the next morning I was so embarrassed about the damage I had done....that I bought it...... turned out out to a pretty good bike...
    Fred, admiral and buellzebub like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Garden Valley has Sand Hollow beat hands down for fun & challenging nearby riding options. Frosty Hollow sounds like a nice place to hang your hat and plan to enjoy retirement.

P.S.- I wondered what got you to hike up the hill, the plant enclosure sign wasn't explained before.
    I had to save some info for the RR. Maverik ATV boots ain’t made for hiking up & down hill I can tell you that.
    Last edited by admiral; 11-01-2018 at 07:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff View Post
    Young and dumb and full of cum.....back in 1972 the local Honda Dealer ask me to ride one of the new SL 250 Dual Sport bikes.....so away I go by myself telling no one where I was going or when I would get back....had a 40 mile loop with a mix of highways, dirt roads and a difficult trail....when I got to the trail, I was about half way... and I had to cross a river running full in the early summer....the only way across the river was on the trail...... with the entry up stream about 25 yards from the exit...

Of course I plunged right in and managed to get across ….but once I did, there was no way to go back across without another person and a winch …. turns out the next 10 miles of trail had not been maintained.....it was old growth timber with no way to ride around the trees that had fell and blocked the trail....so I had no choice but to scoot under the ones I could and lift the bike over the ones I couldn't....that sucker must have weighed 350 pounds and I beat hell out of it before I got to a road at about 10 pm and limped home....

When I returned the bike the next morning I was so embarrassed about the damage I had done....that I bought it...... turned out out to a pretty good bike...
    What a neat adventure. A little risky on a try out ride but what the hell. I stalled my TW on a river crossing once in knee deep water. Pushing any motorcycle through water and lovely river rock ain’t fun. I was able to ride back across without issue once I dried out the TW from the first attempt. Good times

Kris, you will need to start carrying a pruning saw with you. The one I carry attaches easily to the fork with a few zip ties.

Sent from my SM-J327W using Tapatalk
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

Thanks for posting. Looks like a great place to ride.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links