101st Crotona Midnight Run, Jan. 20th, 2018
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: 101st Crotona Midnight Run, Jan. 20th, 2018

101st Crotona Midnight Run, Jan. 20th, 2018

The snow date for this ride is Jan. 27, 2019. "Snow date"... think about that for a second.

Last year was delayed a week because of a snowstorm. Went from over 100 registered to just 29 nutjobs including myself. You really need 2-3 days to prepare yourself physically and mentally for something like this.

No off-road but certainly an adventure. Man & Machine vs. the elements. A change from what seems all the other riding events I've been involved with over the last year... "NO GPS" allowed or other fancy-shmancy technology. Follow printed-out route sheets in the dark like they did in 1918 going forward. Used to take place on New Years Eve but moved to the last Full Moon in January later on. "Full Moon" because headlights were an option on motorcycles back then!
    Interesting to me that an HD Dealer is a partner-sponsor this year since most of these guys ride BMW's and Triumphs.

I done this run 6 times in the last 10 years. Completed 5, DQ'd once (missed a check-point but did finish). I have always done it on a Ural which lets face it, built in Siberia and made for a Russian environment (in 1939) gives you a bit of a leg up on everyone else Winter riding day or night.

After last years 100th and finishing 11th I've decided that's about the best I'm ever going to do and will volunteer with the Ramapo MC as either a checkpoint crew member or follow the route with my Jeep & trailer, joining the rescue guys There are 3-4 that do this already.

Could it be done on a TW? Absolutely. This is not a race, more of a European point rally system. Start with 1000 points. When you get to the hidden checkpoints you'll lose 1 point for each minute you are late or lagging behind. You'll lose two (2) points for every minute you are early so going fast is not the trick. And you are navigating at night in the cold. The pro's have big timer clocks on their handle-bars and will either slow up, maybe even stop or speed up if they see they are approaching a check point. Me... I'm just happy to finish and really don't care about the points. Last year or the year before the top score was 999 or 998 which to me is incredible.

I'd say when men were men but plenty of women have completed and medaled over the years. Question is "do you have it in you to compete"?
    This is not a "group ride" although there are and can be teams of 3. "Key Time" is based on when you register so if you do so at 10:00pm you'll be clocked-out at the start at 12:00 midnight. 10:01pm = 12:01am, 10:02pm = 12:02am, etc.

There is a second start after a mandatory food and warmth stop at a diner. So 2:00am, 2:01am, 2:02am, etc. Figure 6 to 8 hours of riding depending on speed, getting lost, breakdowns, stops for yourself or to help others, etc.

I've met folks who come from Florida to Maine to Illinois who come out for this event. I guess as far as bucket list rally's this one is kinda unique. Oldest AMA sanctioned rally in the USA.

Here's the link to the event information:
    https://storage.googleapis.com/wzuku...na%20Flyer.pdf

Youtube took down my video from last year because I used 15 seconds of an "Eagles" song. I'm going to try and fix that. Meanwhile here's a nice quickie read from RideCt by a sidecar enthusiast (but not a Ural) about last years event:
    Surviving The Crotona Midnight Run

IMG_4858.JPG

My jury-rigged lamp & route sheet. A lot of folks have the lighted roll-charts either store bought or custom made.
    IMG_3758.JPG

Absolutely have to know how to dress and protect yourself from the cold. The first year I participated was 2008 with an average temp of 14 degrees. That doesn't take into account the motorcycle in forward motion. I've found just the right amount of hot tea from a thermos and an equal amount of cheap brandy does the trick. With the sidecar I've done a few rescues and so those items are sometimes as important than my fist-aid kit.
    IMG_3765.jpg

Complete at around 8:00a, last year. It didn't snow but there was still plenty on the ground from a storm a few days before. I rode about 30 miles home. Cold wind but warm with the notion I had completed the 100th running.
    IMG_3757.JPG

This Henderson was the oldest motorcycle ridden in the 100th. I can't recall if it also was 100 years old or from the early 1920's. Pretty incredible machine.
    IMG_3746.JPG
    Last edited by stagewex; 11-12-2018 at 06:56 AM.
    Fred, Mel, Peterb and 6 others like this.
    2008 Vespa 150"S" (Elec & Kick Start)
    2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
    2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
    1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
    1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
    1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)
    1969 BMW r60/2, US Model (Kick Start Only)

Hardcore cold riding fun!
    Guess there is no need to park the TW for the winter months when there are moonlit point rallies to run.
    We experimented with Mrs.Admiral's Idaho huckleberry white hot chocolate liberally laced with cinnamon whiskey after Saturday's ride of the Frozen Chosen; it might make an effective anti-freeze too.
    Maybe I'll just stay home and drink hot chocolate instead
    admiral and Smitty Blackstone like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Mmmm. that sound good. Going to share the recipe?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

That sounds awesome! I might have to do a road trip this January!!!
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.

I
    Quote Originally Posted by stagewex View Post
    The snow date for this ride is Jan. 27, 2019. "Snow date"... think about that for a second.

Last year was delayed a week because of a snowstorm. Went from over 100 registered to just 29 nutjobs including myself. You really need 2-3 days to prepare yourself physically and mentally for something like this.

No off-road but certainly an adventure. Man & Machine vs. the elements. A change from what seems all the other riding events I've been involved with over the last year... "NO GPS" allowed or other fancy-shmancy technology. Follow printed-out route sheets in the dark like they did in 1918 going forward. Used to take place on New Years Eve but moved to the last Full Moon in January later on. "Full Moon" because headlights were an option on motorcycles back then!
    Interesting to me that an HD Dealer is a partner-sponsor this year since most of these guys ride BMW's and Triumphs.

I done this run 6 times in the last 10 years. Completed 5, DQ'd once (missed a check-point but did finish). I have always done it on a Ural which lets face it, built in Siberia and made for a Russian environment (in 1939) gives you a bit of a leg up on everyone else Winter riding day or night.

After last years 100th and finishing 11th I've decided that's about the best I'm ever going to do and will volunteer with the Ramapo MC as either a checkpoint crew member or follow the route with my Jeep & trailer, joining the rescue guys There are 3-4 that do this already.

Could it be done on a TW? Absolutely. This is not a race, more of a European point rally system. Start with 1000 points. When you get to the hidden checkpoints you'll lose 1 point for each minute you are late or lagging behind. You'll lose two (2) points for every minute you are early so going fast is not the trick. And you are navigating at night in the cold. The pro's have big timer clocks on their handle-bars and will either slow up, maybe even stop or speed up if they see they are approaching a check point. Me... I'm just happy to finish and really don't care about the points. Last year or the year before the top score was 999 or 998 which to me is incredible.

I'd say when men were men but plenty of women have completed and medaled over the years. Question is "do you have it in you to compete"?
    This is not a "group ride" although there are and can be teams of 3. "Key Time" is based on when you register so if you do so at 10:00pm you'll be clocked-out at the start at 12:00 midnight. 10:01pm = 12:01am, 10:02pm = 12:02am, etc.

There is a second start after a mandatory food and warmth stop at a diner. So 2:00am, 2:01am, 2:02am, etc. Figure 6 to 8 hours of riding depending on speed, getting lost, breakdowns, stops for yourself or to help others, etc.

I've met folks who come from Florida to Maine to Illinois who come out for this event. I guess as far as bucket list rally's this one is kinda unique. Oldest AMA sanctioned rally in the USA.

Here's the link to the event information:
    https://storage.googleapis.com/wzuku...na%20Flyer.pdf

Youtube took down my video from last year because I used 15 seconds of an "Eagles" song. I'm going to try and fix that. Meanwhile here's a nice quickie read from RideCt by a sidecar enthusiast (but not a Ural) about last years event:
    Surviving The Crotona Midnight Run

IMG_4858.JPG

My jury-rigged lamp & route sheet. A lot of folks have the lighted roll-charts either store bought or custom made.
    IMG_3758.JPG

Absolutely have to know how to dress and protect yourself from the cold. The first year I participated was 2008 with an average temp of 14 degrees. That doesn't take into account the motorcycle in forward motion. I've found just the right amount of hot tea from a thermos and an equal amount of cheap brandy does the trick. With the sidecar I've done a few rescues and so those items are sometimes as important than my fist-aid kit.
    IMG_3765.jpg

Complete at around 8:00a, last year. It didn't snow but there was still plenty on the ground from a storm a few days before. I rode about 30 miles home. Cold wind but warm with the notion I had completed the 100th running.
    IMG_3757.JPG

This Henderson was the oldest motorcycle ridden in the 100th. I can't recall if it also was 100 years old or from the early 1920's. Pretty incredible machine.
    IMG_3746.JPG
    I’ll cone if I can ride in your sidecar.
    If I’m ever on LIFE SUPPORT, UNPLUG ME. Then plug me back in... See if that works. Hidden Content

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

Rick, if you are serious PM me.
    I had not planned on doing this as a competitor for... the rest of my life. But I have not reached out formerly to volunteer with the sponsor club (Ramapo MC) yet either.

I'm off both Saturday, Jan 19th (prep day) and the 20th. You can drive up and stay at our house to rest/sleep prior and after.
    These dates cap off a week I'm more than likely spending a few days in Arizona & Quartzite too. So if you really come up, it's a Festival.

mike wex/stagewex

IMG_9703.JPG

Bump/Reminder. It's this coming weekend. Takes a few days to mentally get ready for it.
    Last years ride from my perspective. Had to drop the Eagles song and use some space youtube music. But they let me re-post it again:

Rats, Postponed till following weekend.

Supposed to start getting significant snow starting tomorrow afternoon and into the night. Changing to sleet and rain over night when this ride occurs.

Oh well.

IMG_0305.JPG

Postponed due to weather last weekend.

This event is absolutely happening tomorrow night, Saturday 26th, registration starts at 10:30pm, 1st bike leave at 12:00 Midnight.

Weather: High to mid-20's & dry. Perfect!

I have to work both Sat & Sun so can't ride or volunteer like I hoped. But going to try and make it there from work if I can before the bikes take-off to get some video.

Got to the start. mid to low 20's but apparently got down into the teens for the riders overnight.
    Good friend went over on some frozen ice and had to wait for State Police for help. He got home after 6:00am this morning. But he'll be okay.

Video of the start:

Smitty Blackstone and admiral like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links