Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Tiny-Wheel-200
  • 1 Post By Willys714
  • 1 Post By TW Newb
  • 1 Post By Fred
  • 1 Post By Willys714

Thread: so cal 19 to 25 November.

so cal 19 to 25 November.

ill be in forest falls in the mountains near San bernardino for a week and would love to meet up with local folks for trail rides.

Sent from my LGL63BL using Tapatalk
    joeband likes this.

Ouch, that’s Thanksgiving weekend and we have plans. I love the local mtn’s and you will too if you avoid the crowds and find the trails.
    My favorite area is North side of the lakes Silverwood/ Arrowhead/ Big Bear. This is where you will find single track and internet popular 4x4 trails like the “John Bull / arctic Cyn” The view across the high desert is stunning from 6k’

AVOID Bowen Ranch it has been a problem for years

If you get tired of trees and trails ride east to pioneer town and Johnette Napolitano of Concrete Blonde has been doing solo’s at Pappy’s and to really make a day of it push even further East into Joshua Tree.
    Hopefully you can get a trail map from the Ranger station but they are often out so here are some buzzwords to research
    Holcomb, van duesen, metate, pinnacles, pilot rock, John Bull, Redonda Ridge, 3n14, deep creek, dishpan, white mtn (miles of horrible sharp rocks) Wright mine, Lucky Baldwin, Bessemer mine, Wilbur’s grave,

Have fun exploring and be careful, on holiday weekends the trails are busy.

Willy how hard is john bull on a dub?
    I've only done it in Jeeps.
    Rode Holcomb on a Predator 500. Learned quickly that there is a big difference between farm and race quads haha.

As a total newb I'll be starting on skyline or 3n16 lol.
    2001 TW

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

The trail is HARD and it all depends on the rider. The Tdub can do it but it involves some real rock crawling
    If you have jeeped the John Bull then you saw smaller rocks everywhere but that most of the large rocks are on either end of the trail. It’s slow going and run into a Jeep club, you could spend most of the day on one trail.
    A better Tdub trail is just east of JB, it has less boulders and more rolling hills with short steep climbs. This area has less rock,no people and that loamy dirt the NorCal riders take for granted.
    If you do run the Bull take some time to explore off trail in the “easy” section, most motor through and miss the mining claims, fireplace and truck all scattered in the woods.

Most of The harder trails have a “qualifier” built into each end of the trail to keep the inexperienced outta trouble. Look at each end of the Silverwood/Pilot rock shortcut where Till death dual us sport’s buddy got hurt. Dropping off the side of Pilot Rock you have to pause and think do I wanna make the plunge. Over the side is easy going down but this is a steep rutted hill that can be hard to get back up. The beginning of the trail has a steep little challenge to start the trail too.

There are so many trails in the forest and lots to explore, don’t ruin your ride by getting on a trail that is too hard and waste riding time stuck or struggling.
    The “secret” to building skills: practice on the easy stuff and don’t get hurt!
    JerseyJeeper likes this.

I hear ya. I know the area very well. Been volunteering for the adopt-a-trail program for many years. I just sold my Jeep but until then I was working on Pilot rock. Before that, it was Dishpan, etc. The company I work for is still sponsoring 3 trails on the hwy 38 side though.

Anyway... I never looked at the trail from a 2 wheel perspective. I'm always spotting lines for the Jeep guys. Some obstacles, including the gate keepers can be easier for a bike to sneak through so I was curious. I currently am a loooong way from tackling anything like that lol.

Thanks for the input!
    Willys714 likes this.
    2001 TW

You will enjoy he way a two wheeler can thread it's way through bouldery Jeep nightmares, or by-pass entirely to the side of nasty sections.
    Willys714 likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

I too volunteered, first in Adopt-a-Trail and then joined the OHV program under Greg and Joe. I really admire both these men and am proud to have worked and ride with them. I left the program after the Joe quitting mess.
    Left with so many memories of rescues and daring do.
    They also introduced me to chainsaws and it turns out I really like chainsaws.
    Dryden-Tdub likes this.

"My favorite area is North side of the lakes Silverwood/ Arrowhead/ Big Bear. This is where you will find single track and internet popular 4x4 trails like the “John Bull / arctic Cyn” The view across the high desert is stunning from 6k’

AVOID Bowen Ranch it has been a problem for years

If you get tired of trees and trails ride east to pioneer town and Johnette Napolitano of Concrete Blonde has been doing solo’s at Pappy’s and to really make a day of it push even further East into Joshua Tree.
    Hopefully you can get a trail map from the Ranger station but they are often out so here are some buzzwords to research
    Holcomb, van duesen, metate, pinnacles, pilot rock, John Bull, Redonda Ridge, 3n14, deep creek, dishpan, white mtn (miles of horrible sharp rocks) Wright mine, Lucky Baldwin, Bessemer mine, Wilbur’s grave, "

So many fancy names. Up here we just say I'm going for a ride in "the bush" and thats got you covered pretty well coast to coast.

Sponosred Links