Challis Idaho area ride in July 2019 - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree131Likes

Thread: Challis Idaho area ride in July 2019

I did a lot of backpacking in that area in highschool and college and it is beautiful. After finishing one trip we stopped to soak in a hot spring on the Salmon River. We struck up a conversation with a group of dirt bikers that were soaking their battle wounds after riding the Yankee Fork area all day. They said the riding was amazing and I have wanted to take a motorcycle there ever since.
    Side note: while we were soaking and talking to the riders, a group of partiers left the hot springs and grabbed one of the riders pants and wallet, which we didn't figure out until we all got up to leave 20 min later.
    Count me as a definite maybe for making the gathering, especially if the NE Oregon gathering does not happen this year.
    Allanb likes this.

Fantastic area. Haven't been up Challis way since around '95. My best friend's grandmother was Ethie Corrigan, Challis resident, a published cowboy poet and local pioneer. She died with her boots on.
    I'll mark the date in my calendar and try to make the trip. Only 4.5 hrs from here.
    Allanb likes this.
    If you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk. - Tuco Juan Ramierez aka "The Rat"
    There's 2 kinds of people in this world, those with guns, and those who dig. You dig. - The Man with No Name

2018 TW200 - LCpl. Rex T. Dubber
    2010 Savage S40 650

Quote Originally Posted by RockyTFS View Post
    Campfire? What's that? I haven't had a campfire in Idaho in 20 years.....
    Oh man. I wish you hadn't said that Rocky. We'll never get Plumbstraight to come out now
    Come on up Fred, be good to ride with ya again, on your slow rides....
    Be good to see you again Mountain, don't think we ever did ride together on the Oregon '18 ride. Time to fix that!
    Be good to meet ya NV Cowboy, any friend, anybody who's ridden with Fred....
    I ordered the Bill Dart maps, look forward to pouring over those. The trails Idaho site shows all the trails, good site. But a real map, that you can spread out on the kitchen counter, mark up and make notes on, and later tuck into tank bag!!
    ejfranz likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I have done a lot of riding in that area. Twin Peaks, The big horns, Iron lake. Loads of fun. If you go to Twin peaks be sure to head out about 20 more miles to Sleeping Deer Mtn Lookout. I usually make my camp at a nice campground on the Salmon river near Ellis about about 20 miles down stream from Challis. Nice big campground and never too busy. It is centrally located for doing Iron Lake , Yellow Jacket Lake and The Big horns No fee, Primitive but has a toilet, big enough for probably 50 camp sites. It is busy only during peak steelhead season spring and fall. If you have google earth search Ellis idaho then look for hat creek road/Dry gulch just down stream. The big area on the opposite side of the river is what I am referring to.
    Fred, Allanb and Dryden-Tdub like this.

Ok, just added those dates to my calendar. 2019 should be a great TDub year! Really looking forward to seeing some of Idaho from the seat of my Dub, and seeing you guys again. Edit: Oh ya, what kind of weather is expected at that location and time of year?

Thanks

Mike
    Last edited by Commandog; 01-08-2019 at 09:24 PM.
    Allanb likes this.

I need to go up to Boise last week of January and plan to drop of my seat for Seat Concepts also
    Hit and Miss on Thunderstorms but expect some showers. Upper 70's daytime Upper 30's night..
    Allanb likes this.
    2007 TW

HA! When I was up at Bayhorse lake at 8,000 feet last July it was in the low to mid 90's!!! Global Warming? Nah, not a chance.
    Leisure Time Larry likes this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Thanks for the info heyduke. the twin peaks lookout has been on my list. Didn't know there was another on sleeping deer. Added to the list, and ya, got to run out to the ends of any two tracks happen to be on!
    I'll look up the camp spot by Ellis, the benchmark map shows a "historical hot springs" at dry gulch, bit further down the road.
    Be good to ride with ya again Commandog. Setting up another big north by west road trip are ya?!
    I received the Bill Dart maps within 3 days of my order. Tons of numbered and graded trails, overlaid on coated, Nat geo maps! While spending $, signed up for On x maps. Now just need to download them to a tablet. And see if their numbered trails agree with the numbers on the F.S. and Dart maps.
    Mel likes this.

Just watched a couple YouTube videos on Eddy Creek and Darling Creek singletrack trails...Good Stuff
    Allanb likes this.
    2007 TW

Count me in as a most definitely interested! If I can swing it, I will bring enough Elk Burger to feed everyone! A fishing trip to Alaska around the same time is in the works but that hasn't been firmed up either...
    Allanb, RallyX and Dryden-Tdub like this.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links