Challis Idaho area ride in July 2019
Close

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree100Likes

Thread: Challis Idaho area ride in July 2019

Challis Idaho area ride in July 2019

Come on out! Bodie and I will be riding the Challis area trails and two tracks, the weekend of 20 and 21 July. I'll be there by the 17h, and probably pull out the 22 or 23rd. Should be a good time of year. After snowmelt and July 4th crowds, before the inevitable smoke.
    We are hoping to get a spot in the mill Creek and or mosquito flat reservoir campgrounds.
    Lots of riding to be had in the area, home of the yankee fork. Salmon and Pahsimeroi rivers. More Salmon-Challis National forest, and blm land than could ride in a lifetime. Fire lookouts and old mining areas are hi on the list.

For sures: Admiral, bike, allanb, truckcamper and tw, 16th, bodi, truck and trailer, bike and atv, 17th ejfranz, truckcamper and trailer, bike. white elephant, van and trailer?

strong Possibles: Smitty, ,?, bike. ?.

Possibles: fred, eat elk, nv cowboy, mtn yawp
    Last edited by Allanb; 07-09-2019 at 06:58 PM.
    Willys714, admiral, Fred and 3 others like this.

My god that is a beautiful area....I had no idea it was popular, thinking that it was kind of isolated ….being so far from Boise and with so few people …...and with so many places to ride in Idaho …….that it got very little use.

We were there in the late spring with another family and we just parked our motorhomes down by the river and had the whole place to ourselves......came over the Pass from Warm Springs and were just stunned by the setting....had to stay and ride....as I recall there were a lot of side by side routes for easy family riding...
    Last edited by bartruff; 12-29-2018 at 08:57 PM.
    Allanb and plumbstraight like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Allanb View Post
    Lots of riding to be had in the area, home of the yankee fork. Salmon and Pahsimeroi rivers. More Salmon-Challis National forest, and blm land than could ride in a lifetime. Fire lookouts and old mining areas are hi on the list.
    Mark us down as very interested. It's been many, many years since I've been up there and it was never on a motorcycle, just truck camping. Did some hiking though. Bodi has been up there many more times than I and probably knows the area better than anyone (here on the forum that is).

More than can ride in a lifetime is right. I might have a Bill Dart map of mostly single-track trails in the area. Well, single-track trails are what he rates for difficulty not jeep/logging road trails though they are shown.

I camped up near Eightmile Creek a couple times which is up further past Custer Ghost Town (which is cool). The mine road would take you to old mining area cabins but it has been over 20 years since I've been up there. Due to a washout right at the Eightmile CG (small with only few tents spots), eightmile creek road was almost impossible to turn on. Goggle earth makes it look better now after all these years. I did ride the kids PW80 on a go-around but that involved a little cross country trail finding before I got to the road. Depending on the group size the area right across from the small CG might work...might but again, Bodi should have some good info on camping area's.

Good Idaho trail planning tool: https://trails.idaho.gov/
    Last edited by admiral; 12-27-2018 at 09:13 AM.
    Allanb likes this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Beautiful country, sorely tempted to come join you folks. Could spend a few days just re-visiting old haunts. Now a few places to clean up my act.
    Allanb likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

I advise anyone planning to join us to get a "Salmon-Challis National Forests Challis NF" map. I hope to make a quick trip up there in late June to check out the Mosquito Flat Res. area also as a potential camping area. I haven't been up there is a while but the area might be more central located to allow rides as far West as Pinyon Peak Lookout, Indian Springs GS and Loon Creek and as Far North as Yellow Jacket GS, Middle Fork Peak Lookout and the Mining areas between them. Mosquito Flat Res area would also be closer to Twin Peaks Lookout and the Bayhorse Mine area. There are a far amount of single track trails including a section of "Tour of Idaho" that takes off just NW of Challis up to Iron Lake. I have not ridden any of the single track but many of these trails are difficult at best and I would advise someone in the group carry a chainsaw. The area provides great riding for SXS, ATV and Dirtbikes good fishing including Lakes and Streams and plenty of Old Mining areas and Lookouts to Explore. There are plenty of Youtube videos and pictures online.
    admiral, Allanb and plumbstraight like this.
    2007 TW

Recall Yellow Jacket Lake as a good camp and fishing spot, used it as staging area for backpacking into Big Horn Crags. Wonder if knees are still good enough to visit places like Ship Island Lake since there is so much more than just motorcycling.289317.JPG

Yellow Jacket Lake, rode up there on a Honda Reflex from the Salmon River once, had a very sore butt when I finally arrived. Would be better on the TW: large_012dbc93c3d2e50a3bc0f86c9c28a92e.jpg
    Last edited by Fred; 12-27-2018 at 11:46 AM.
    bartruff, Allanb and Ken like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Thanks for weighing in guys. I was last there, just a quick drive thru in moms Buick, in,.....1978. Cant wait to explore as much as can see in a week ..or two.
    Think I have a Challis nf map in the library, if not will order one and a bill dart. Will look up and research all the places mentioned, more than can do with my benchmark map.
    I put that trails Idaho link on my desktop Admiral. And then tried to attach it here. But said wasn't valid, or some such.
    Whoo hoo, come on summer. Nice to have trips on the calendar, to look forward to and plan for.
    Mel likes this.

The area north of Mosquito Flat CG was heavily burned in 2015, but not the campground itself nor the hills to the south. There are 16 spots and it is pretty popular in July, but there are also several dry group sites further west a mile or so. No reservations.

There are also some dry group sites north of Custer along the Motorway before 11 mile. That area also burned in 2015, starting at 11 miles north of Custer. All group sites south of Bonanza are usually packed by the 4th of July. Idaho just ain't like it was in 1978!
    Last edited by RockyTFS; 12-29-2018 at 01:05 PM.
    Allanb likes this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Thanks for the local info Rocky. No doubt there will be a lot of dancing around burned out areas.

population of the U.S in 1978 was 223,000. today its 327,000! We could go into californication, etc, etc, but best to just leave all that alone, until the campfires burned low

Campfire? What's that? I haven't had a campfire in Idaho in 20 years.....
    Allanb likes this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links