Big Bend 2019...Maybe? - Page 3
Close

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree110Likes

Thread: Big Bend 2019...Maybe?

In answer to the question..."Is Big Bend Open despite the Shutdown...technically "NO" however, you can enter, and the Lodge as well as private stores in Panther Junction and Rio Grande Village are open, and none Federal Campsites are being used...so it is open per say

For those that have never been there, as Darth says, there is just not enough time to see it all....Nick and I spend 9 days and still didn't ride all the areas we wanted...plus you have Terlingua and the outlaying area, where there is much to see....

Here are a few sites from 2016

Big Bend Hoot Juan Grave.JPGBig Bend Motorcycle Run 2016 033.JPGBig Bend Motorcycle Run 2016 019.JPGBig Bend Motorcycle Run 2016 073 (1).JPGChisos Overlook.jpg
    bananachunks likes this.
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

OK! We'll let the Swedes come, but NO IRISH!

Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    OK! We'll let the Swedes come, but NO IRISH!
    Hey! I resemble that remark. Gary Patrick Sean L.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Just re~checked and the Park is open, but don't use the Shitters

Seriously though the Park is open and as of yesterday the rest room facilities are in operation and trash removal is being done with the "recreational" fees...don't be fooled by the BS from the Lame Stream Media....the End is not Near, just because 1/4 of the Fed "Workers" {an Oxymoron if there ever was one} are on leave....{for which they will be paid for in full once the Prez and Congress get off their collective asses and make a deal....

We now return you to your previously delusional news...and here is a link{you can also check out the Big Bend Facebook page and see what is still happening

https://www.nps.gov/bibe/planyourvis...4VoibvT4tRu6wI
    admiral likes this.

Hidden Content

March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary

and yet more:

Big Bend National Park
    Yesterday at 11:21 AM ·
    Shutdown Update:
    Using revenue generated from recreation fees, Big Bend National Park will resume routine basic custodial services and trash removal today. This will allow the re-opening of Old Maverick Road, Santa Elena Canyon trail, and restrooms/vault toilets that have previously been closed.
    Mel and Darth like this.

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot Gibson View Post
    and yet more:

Big Bend National Park
    Yesterday at 11:21 AM ·
    Shutdown Update:
    Using revenue generated from recreation fees, Big Bend National Park will resume routine basic custodial services and trash removal today. This will allow the re-opening of Old Maverick Road, Santa Elena Canyon trail, and restrooms/vault toilets that have previously been closed.
    It's a long way off until we head there at the end of April so I am not concerned at this point.

As for this partial shut down, very few of us here have even felt it or would even know if not for all the MSM hype about it. There could be a silver lining to it all in another week. Federal employees who are union members are nearly impossible to fire or even lay off. That all changes if they are furloughed for more than 30 days. Non Essential employees can be fired after 30 days of furlough. what a great way to reduce the federal governments work force by 25 % real quick. Draining the swamp in a smooth move just like President Reagan did with the air traffic controllers. After 30 days they have no protection and can be let go as Non Essential which many really are.

GaryL
    Hoot Gibson likes this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot Gibson View Post
    Just re~checked and the Park is open, but don't use the Shitters

Seriously though the Park is open and as of yesterday the rest room facilities are in operation and trash removal is being done with the "recreational" fees...don't be fooled by the BS from the Lame Stream Media....the End is not Near, just because 1/4 of the Fed "Workers" {an Oxymoron if there ever was one} are on leave....{for which they will be paid for in full once the Prez and Congress get off their collective asses and make a deal....

We now return you to your previously delusional news...and here is a link{you can also check out the Big Bend Facebook page and see what is still happening

https://www.nps.gov/bibe/planyourvis...4VoibvT4tRu6wI

I was furlough twice in 2013 when President Obama was well, the President. Actually, I was furloughed several days throughout the summer and when the political clowns (this applies to all parties) couldn't agree by the end of September that year I was furloughed again in October.

Yes, this put us in a pinch but what does the Admiral do when things get tough?

I went for a ride. Closed shitters and all. Yeehaw!

Mel, Rhodetrip, grewen and 2 others like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

So it was basically like a paid vacation?
    No work responsibilities during the furlough, but you got a delayed paycheck for those days of no work, right?
    If any federal workers are having financial trouble then it is their mistake for lack of previous fiscal planning including adequate savings to tide them over the rainy days that are part of life. Most should be able to avail themselves to a line of credit based on knowledge that federal payments will ultimately arrive, unless they are already significantly in debt.
    Last edited by Fred; 01-16-2019 at 10:35 AM.
    Hoot Gibson and Dryden-Tdub like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    So it was basically like a paid vacation?
    No work responsibilities during the furlough, but you got a delayed paycheck for those days of no work, right?
    If any federal workers are having financial trouble then it is their mistake for lack of previous fiscal planning including adequate savings to tide them over the rainy days that are part of life. Most should be able to avail themselves to a line of credit based on knowledge that federal payments will ultimately arrive, unless they are already significantly in debt.
    We did not get paid or receive back pay for the days we were furloughed during the summer.

We did get paid after the October furlough's which was more like what's going on today. We were brought back to work a week after being furloughed without pay until the clowns agreed on whatever it was they were not agreeing on. Then we got paid. Of course, we planned on this "no pay" situation so we were ok for a while. One of my co-workers who will go nameless sucks at managing finances and was scared to death about losing it all. She did just fine but you couldn't tell her that at the time.

Back to Big Bend. Ride it and have fun even if you have to take a dooger out back somewhere. Hopefully, no one will step in it.
    Hoot Gibson likes this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

I have friends and relatives who are all union carpenters and construction workers. They earn good salaries but they all know to be prepared for when the jobs get slow or they are between projects. In the prisons we had a different situation with over time through the roof and all of us learning to live on swelled pay checks. Then all of a sudden the OT would dry up to nothing and we all had to go back to base pay salary checks. Some guys were very foolish and had their fancy cars and trucks repossessed and all sorts of other financial issues. One thing I did when I first got the job was to sock away as much as possible until I had a full 6 months of pay saved in the bank just for those rainy days. In the first full year we were probationary employees and they need no reason at all to lay you off or fire you. If the state budget was not passed we could be sent home without pay and not a damn thing we could do about it. I have been retired now for 20 years but I still have that very same credit union account with half a years salary plus interest over all these years that I never once touched. I sure did get mighty short on cash a number of times during my career but the rule to never touch the rainy day fund held fast and still does.
    If I read the rules regarding furloughed employees correctly it has to be 30 days straight before you could be let go, laid off or the job itself could be eliminated.

GaryL
    Mel, Hoot Gibson, admiral and 1 others like this.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links