Big Bend 2019...Maybe? - Page 4
Close

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Like Tree110Likes

Thread: Big Bend 2019...Maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    So it was basically like a paid vacation?
    No work responsibilities during the furlough, but you got a delayed paycheck for those days of no work, right?
    If any federal workers are having financial trouble then it is their mistake for lack of previous fiscal planning including adequate savings to tide them over the rainy days that are part of life. Most should be able to avail themselves to a line of credit based on knowledge that federal payments will ultimately arrive, unless they are already significantly in debt.
    Watched the Press Conference they {workers(sic) } were having outside Mitch McConnells' office, not a skinny one in the bunch, but none could pay their bills after a week without a paycheck....sounds like they might need a money management course....

It is said that 70% of Americans live pay check to pay check? I used to, back when I was in college...waiting for my $50 a week from my bar tending weekend gig and Uncle Sam's GI Bill payments....
    Last edited by Hoot Gibson; 01-16-2019 at 12:00 PM.
    admiral likes this.
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

Damn....sorry I got off track...back to Big Bend!

We are still in the working/planning stages but April 29th through May 8th or so are the picked out dates at this point....

Hidden Content

March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot Gibson View Post
    Stopped by {Mark Sampson} Big Dog's Web Site today and was reading about his Texas adventure with his wife....they ended up at Big Bend on New Year's Eve and Day...park is closed but there are parts you are allowed into you just can't sleep there....except at the lodge and the Private Campground

However the reason I posted, they came across a couple of "Desert Rats" as they approached Big Bend....anybody Recognize the TW? Attachment 188216

On case you've never been to the Big Dog's Site...below is the link, he has made a retirement career out of Dual Sporting for the past decade and more

2018-19 Southwest2

Despite being "Closed" Big Dog has some good photos of the Big Bend portion of his trip....
    Bump Part 6 of his Winter in the Southwest has been posted....lots of decent photos of hiking, bike rides, and dual sport rides...
    GaryL and plumbstraight like this.

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Looks like we have set the dates for Big Bend 2019 and they appear to be FINAL{?} ... maybe

Looks like Mel and Gary L may arrive a day or 2 before Hoot...as I run our Air Force Sky Cop Vietnam Reunion from April 25-28th...so I get home from Dayton get a day's rest and head to the Rio Grande via Terlingua on April 30th...should arrive on the 2nd of May...will stay for a week or so...Mel, Gary, and ? Will be there by the 1st, that is my best guess...anybody that wants to drop in on a few Old Geezers is more than welcome...not sure how much riding we will do, but for sure the coffee will be on and the 4WDs will be on the easier trails, and Beer in the evenings...

And you folks heading for Moab have fun and stay safe...

Hidden Content

Looks like we have set the dates for Big Bend 2019 and they appear to be FINAL{?} ... maybe

Looks like Mel and Gary L may arrive a day or 2 before Hoot...as I run our Air Force Sky Cop Vietnam Reunion from April 25-28th...so I get home from Dayton get a day's rest and head to the Rio Grande via Terlingua on April 30th...should arrive on the 2nd of May...will stay for a week or so...Mel, Gary, and ? Will be there by the 1st, that is my best guess...anybody that wants to drop in on a few Old Geezers is more than welcome...not sure how much riding we will do, but for sure the coffee will be on and the 4WDs will be on the easier trails, and Beer in the evenings...

And you folks heading for Moab have fun and stay safe...
    GaryL and Sthrnromr like this.

Hidden Content

so looks like I will be out there on the 8th for about a week... don't ever commit to much on these trips although I would like to ride with some other old geezers on tw's . I usually decide about a week beforehand, but either way, I will be out there with a tw and an xt225 behind my camper on next wed...riding regardless...yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by psunami View Post
    so looks like I will be out there on the 8th for about a week... don't ever commit to much on these trips although I would like to ride with some other old geezers on tw's . I usually decide about a week beforehand, but either way, I will be out there with a tw and an xt225 behind my camper on next wed...riding regardless...yeah!
    Well, Good to hear you will be there but I think there won't be any of us to ride with. The trip pretty much fell apart for me having an impacted wisdom tooth problem affecting my vision that I am just getting over. Hoot was pretty busy trying to coordinate too much into a rather tight window with scheduling other events and Mel called his run off mostly due to all the garbage going on around the Mexican border. No other members committed to this gathering so you will be on your own at Big Bend this week. We might try again this fall but that too is already looking bad for me with a pre scheduled Family reunion down in Hilton Head SC in November. Planning these trips and reunion type events is pretty much like herding cats. I have a total of 8 first cousins left and we are spread all over from Michigan, NY, Florida and NC and getting them all to commit to a date and VRBO rental was a monumental task. I won't be surprised if even after paying the rental house in full we still have a drop out or two because life does have it's twists and turns and we never know that far out what will come. We all grew up together right here in the NY Catskills but have not all been together as a family for over 40 years and the family sure has gotten smaller in the seniors side with those who are no longer with us. Our forum has members from all over the country and other parts of the world so getting many of us to all agree on a place and commit to a time is unbelievably difficult. My drive was going to be 2200 miles one way and no way I could do it with one eye looking straight and the other looking east. Had dental surgery on Monday and just starting to feel better today.

GaryL
    Hoot Gibson likes this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

oh well...I will be going out there with a friend, and staying with some friends that live out on terlingua ranch for part of the time so im pretty excited about it anyway. I never know if i'll be able to make trips like these until the last minute...planning months in advance is not usually a possibility. I like to camp, and move about, changing campsites rather frequently anyway. I would have loved to have been able to make moab, but its more than twice as far, and for only a week, which is all I have this time, I just can't pull it off comfortably. I've been out to big bend before several times, but never with the bikes so I do have some areas in mind that I wasn't able to access before that I want to explore, and also looking forward to camping and exploring big bend ranch state park, as i've read there are many miles of jeep roads in there, and you can have fires in the fire rings, unlike the national parks no fires policy. camping is just not the same without a campfire. So, I will be out there from may 8-16 or maybe a day or 2 longer if anyone else decides they might be able to make it...weather is looking pretty good right now, probably the last chance to beat the serious heat! Hope to meet some fellow tw'ers if not this time then some other time...sounds like a fun group of people.
    GaryL, goldenhtr and Ken like this.

WP_20190512_09_54_45_Pro.jpgsanta elena canyon...
    Sthrnromr, admiral and Hoot Gibson like this.

[attach=config]193344 my buddy was scared to death of riding...even the tw! On pavement!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sthrnromr and Ken like this.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Sponosred Links