Big Bend 2019...Maybe? - Page 5
Close

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Like Tree106Likes

Thread: Big Bend 2019...Maybe?

So we did some hiking too[ATTACH=CONFIG]193348
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by psunami; 05-16-2019 at 09:41 PM.
    Sthrnromr, Ken, GaryL and 1 others like this.

Sthrnromr, GaryL and Dryden-Tdub like this.

Sorry I missed the trip. Just now getting over my health issue that kept me back. Actually from your pictures it looks like a rather desolate place with wide open spaces filled with nothing but pretty sights. Please tell us about the weather you had so we know how and when to plan in the future. Did you see any of the migrants crossing our borders while in the park? Did you see any rattlers or scorpions? Did any folks have dogs with them that you saw? Any harassment from park officials? What's the deal with riding dirt bikes that are not road registered? All of this will have some effect on how or even if I ever plan to go.

GaryL
    Hoot Gibson likes this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

there were lots of folks with dogs...including me. WP_20190512_09_58_29_Pro.jpg. I found the park staff to be rather unknowledgable about rules and what would be enforced, and got conflicting answers from different park officials. they tend to discourage just about everything, but I found if you act responsibly, you can do pretty much what you want. not much riding for unliscensed vehicles, but I never encountered law enforcement while riding. lots of jeep trails and awesome riding. didn't notice any migrants crossing, don't think its a problem there. the state park seemed more down to earth about their regulations, and when I asked them about leaving my vehicle unattended while riding when camped on the river, they said they have had zero issues lately...even the river outfitters leave the keys in the vehicles when left unattended. I had no problem, and left my truck for several hours each day while riding, hiking, and kayaking. I did attend the hands across the border event with my friends that live out there, and border patrol had an intimidating presence there, even though it seemed to be a very peaceful event, mostly just the locals on both sides of the border getting together to play some music and enjoy the river. didn't see any scorpions or rattlesnakes, although they are definitely out there. the weather was just about perfect...mid 80s day mid 50s night, but the suns intensity was pretty brutal middayish. mornings evenings and night were just right...large brimmed hats during the day. we stayed 2 nights up in the basin, which is about 10-20 degrees cooler, and was absolutely perfect, except the crowded camping. the basin area is quite different from the surrounding desert, which is quite desolate, but completely serene, with astounding views all around. well worth the trip, but I wouldn't venture any later than now, or before October...just too hot.

WP_20190512_12_11_18_Pro.jpgim all for enforcing our immigration laws, but where are you going to build a wall down here? the remoteness of the desert discourages most from trying to cross out there...the cities are much easier. and if they do cross there, they still have to get through a border patrol checkpoint which is on every road leaving the area, which aren't many.
    admiral, GaryL and Hoot Gibson like this.

WP_20190511_14_30_58_Pro.jpg kids in the river...from which side? couldn't tell you
    GaryL likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by psunami View Post
    WP_20190512_12_11_18_Pro.jpgim all for enforcing our immigration laws, but where are you going to build a wall down here? the remoteness of the desert discourages most from trying to cross out there...the cities are much easier. and if they do cross there, they still have to get through a border patrol checkpoint which is on every road leaving the area, which aren't many.
    Kind of looks like there is already a natural wall in place. Pretty too!
    Hoot Gibson likes this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

"The Wall" talk down that way is just a made up line of BS from people that think they have a clue about the Environment and the effects a wall would have...nobody in their right mind is going to try to escape Mexico at Big Bend...just to many agents and to many natural issues....when last there with Montezuma, E'Flood, Ft Wayne Gary, and Borneo, folks that were selling their walking sticks and trinkets crossed daily and went back home with the money they earned from their Honor System....Big Bend, IMO, needs to be left alone, and I'm against illegal invasion as anybody, but nobody down there is crossing for any evil purposes...IMO,,,it is just to far away from any Civilization {and I don't Consider Terlingua Civilized...DSCF7044.JPGDSCF7044.JPG

Great Place to Ride and Camp...smoke good cigars and drink beers...but as mentioned I would avoid Summer, Major Holidays, Spring Break Time in late March...Early March 2016 was Great and I'm thinking October and on through Mid November is perfect...

Juan Resized 2.jpgOld Ore Road Resized TW.jpgThe Window Resized 1.jpg
    Sthrnromr and Mel like this.
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

I have been to BBRSP and BBNP many times. Usually in Dec. I have ridden just about every track in BBNP and most of BBRSP. I have have been there on on my DL650, XT250, WR250 (my favorite), Trail 90, TW200 and my Ural. I have camped in BBNP and I have stayed in the Bunk House at BBRSP. I have ridden with groups and with friends and family. The last trip we went on in early Dec in BBNP. This was the most unpleasant trip because of the rain. The Old Ore Rd was a long puddle broken by patches of rock. The River Road proved to be a slippery mud bog and pretty much impassable. I can vouch for the efficacy of the "bear boxes" in the camp grounds. We didn't see a single bear. I am going to keep my ear to the ground and if you guys plan something and are willing to have me tag along on my TW I will try to make it with at least one of my immediate family.

Would love to do a ride down there. Will be coming through that way in November/Dec. How is the weather at that time of year?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Sponosred Links