Southern Utah Adventure
Close

Southern Utah Spring Adventure

I am planning to head to Southern Utah about the middle of March. I am retired so I am planning for a couple of weeks of adventuring. I have a small motorhome and can camp where ever I want or is permissible.

I have researched this area a bit already and it looks like it would be best to start in the St. George area and then as the weather moderates, head to the east toward the Moab area. I have not explored this area on a dirt bike before; I have gotten some good input from the Adventure Riders forum.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=852968

If there are other TW riders that have the time and the interest, I would welcome the company. I do have a lot of flexibility for my schedule. I don’t need to get back to Idaho until about the second week in April though. I understand the weather could be getting a little hot in Southern Utah by then anyway.

If you are interested in such an adventure, contact me.

[email protected]

Happy Trails All

Ron in Boise

Hey ron i have the first week of april off and am planning to ride around the moab area. I would like to do the white rim trail and a few others. Depends on how much time i have but it is beautiful around escelante. I drove a car down highway 12 a few years ago and loved it. A buddy of mine did the burr trail and said it was very neat. You planning on doing the Toroweap ride from st george? Im trying to drag a few tdubbers with me but im not sure if thats gonna work or not. Anyway i will try and keep in touch and im just now starting to search for trails on advrider down in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron in Boise View Post
    Southern Utah Spring Adventure

I am planning to head to Southern Utah about the middle of March. If you are interested in such an adventure, contact me.

Ron in Boise

Too far North for me in March! I'm going all the way to Phoenix and then if the weather is warm enough come back up through the St. George area or Escalante around the 1st of April. Keep us posted.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I have ridden around this area a bit. One ride I have always wanted to do is Toroweap. If it is on your plan keep me posted I too am retired and could get away for a week or so in mid/late March.

If you do Escalante be sure to take the road out to Hole in the Rock. Great riding for the TWS. I have done the Burr Trail. There is also some great riding in the San RAfael Swell and in THe horshoe unit of Canyonlands.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    Too far North for me in March! I'm going all the way to Phoenix and then if the weather is warm enough come back up through the St. George area or Escalante around the 1st of April. Keep us posted.
    Hi Rocky

Will you be in the Sedona area at any time on you trip? I would like to meet up with you if you are. There are some rides and Back Packs I would like to do there.

Ron, if you havn't finished up planning your trip look into the "valley of the god's" area and who can ride southern Utah without doing the Moki Dugway (hwy261). There are so many great backroads a person can't list them all, most are county roads or BLM with very limited upkeep (like one grader trip per year). Just make sure your ready for extreme isolation, as in seeing one or two vehicles a day in the backcountry if your lucky.

I am going to be in the area in mid-April and look forward to lots or riding and getting my wife's skills on her tw "up to speed". I just got her a 1990 and she is ready to ride ASAP.

Best of luck and nothing like a face full of red Utah road dust

Dan,

Moki Dugway

The Moki Dugway is located on UT-261 in southeast Utah, south of Natural Bridges National Monument. It is a series of sharp switchbacks down a steep gravel road over less than three miles. UT-261 is paved, except for the Dugway.

At the Natural Bridges National Monument Visitor Center, there is a brief description of the Moki Dugway. Here is the text:

"MOKEE (MOKI, MOQUI) DUGWAY

SAN JUAN COUNTY, UT.

The Mokee Dugway is located on Utah Route 261 just north of Mexican Hat, UT. It was constructed in 1958 by Texas Zinc, a mining company, to transport uranium ore from the "Happy Jack" mine in Fry Canyon, UT. to the processing mill in Mexican Hat. The three miles of unpaved, but well graded, switchbacks descend 1100 feet from the top of Cedar Mesa (on which you are now standing). The State of Utah recommends that only vehicles less than 28 feet in length and 10,000 pounds in weight attempt to negotiate this steep (10% grade), narrow and winding road.
    Dan I am !

2005 tw200 > jimbo shield , Borrego rack, wide pegs, carbon hand guards. Cabela's ATV seat pad,

1989 tw200 > "easy rider rifle rack" , blackout paint job, wide pegs, Cabela's ATV seat pad

Sponosred Links