Day and Night Re-Runs
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Day and Night Re-Runs

Day and Night Re-Runs

With the nation mostly gripped in an arctic chill there are seems to be a shortage of ride videos this weekend.
    How about a summery re-run or two? Feel free to ignore.
    Camped at Carson Pass I explored on my own until Boarder 255 joined me for a camp-n-ride where we re-rode some of the first video's terrain untill well into the night. Dale & I rode about twenty miles from camp and then hiked a bit of Pacific Crest Trail to a ridge for a nice moonrise. By time we stumbled back to the bikes it was good and dark. Of course I had left flashlights back on the bike, that is what moon and starlight are for, right?"
    By time we made it back to camp we felt we were well seasoned night riders who almost knew what they were doing. So we rode right past camp and kept going having a blast on single tracks under a full moon. We could always eat dinner later but how often do we get a warm full moon ride on alpine single tracks?

2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Thanks for posting Fred. It looks like your lights do a great job of illuminating your path at night.
    About 10 years ago my friends and I found ourselves finishing up a single track trail in the dark. We were poor college kids with old and semi-functional bikes. The only lights in the group that worked were my right blinkers, and they fluctuated speed amd brightness based on engine speed. Luckily it was not too far back to the trailhead and we survived to back more bad decisions another day.
    Fred and admiral like this.

Navigating by blinker light must have been a challenge, but better than the braille method of bouncing off of trees like in a pin ball machine.
    I really like night trail riding but it makes one wish for ever brighter lighting. I have some serious auxiliary lights pods to replace the simple $7 Locomotive lights on the Betty Boop bike to exceed the light output of the Mr.Gizmo bike.

Somehow these now seem weak:

Compared to these:
    Sthrnromr and admiral like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    With the nation mostly gripped in an arctic chill there are seems to be a shortage of ride videos this weekend.
    How about a summery re-run or two? Feel free to ignore.
    Camped at Carson Pass I explored on my own until Boarder 255 joined me for a camp-n-ride where we re-rode some of the first video's terrain untill well into the night. Dale & I rode about twenty miles from camp and then hiked a bit of Pacific Crest Trail to a ridge for a nice moonrise. By time we stumbled back to the bikes it was good and dark. Of course I had left flashlights back on the bike, that is what moon and starlight are for, right?"
    By time we made it back to camp we felt we were well seasoned night riders who almost knew what they were doing. So we rode right past camp and kept going having a blast on single tracks under a full moon. We could always eat dinner later but how often do we get a warm full moon ride on alpine single tracks?

This is awesome to re-watch on a big screen TV. After watching these videos I'm getting resentful of winter.

I remember once riding with Stig and only one of our headlights worked and it wasn't an LED. If I can see the trail pretty good watching your video, I'm betting you can see it pretty well behind the handlebars. I like to see my surroundings when riding (i.e. daylight) but when you have to ride at night it sure is nice to have the extra lighting like you.

Thanks for sharing Fred.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

But Admiral, is there an analogy here to the old saying "What you don't know can't hurt you"? Something to the effect that if you can't see over the cliff then the you're not going to be afraid of the fall you can't see? You've ridden the route seen in the second video's introduction and likely remember there was a wee bit of what those Moab folks call "Exposure" off the side into the canyon below.
    admiral likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    But Admiral, is there an analogy here to the old saying "What you don't know can't hurt you"? Something to the effect that if you can't see over the cliff then the you're not going to be afraid of the fall you can't see? You've ridden the route seen in the second video's introduction and likely remember there was a wee bit of what those Moab folks call "Exposure" off the side into the canyon below.
    I did recognize the trail in the first part...before it got dark. The ride up to those lakes was wonderful. Yeah, on the ride I did with Stig I'm glad I couldn't see down the mountain side. I could hear the water running in the creek...WAY DOWN THERE!
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

That was a fun day touring with a big group. Good memories with good people. Somehow a three day camp-n-ride wasn't nearly long enough to sample, much less slow down and relax in , all the regions sights.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Didn't we rode to about 6 lakes that day? This last on, Crater Lake, had a memorable access road.

Same road, different bike, a month prior which planted the seed for a Group Ride.
    Last edited by Fred; 02-04-2019 at 09:15 PM.
    Mel likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Thanks for sharing Fred!! That night ride was a great memory I will never forget.

Despite the amazing snowpack, I am starting to get the itch for a spring ride, maybe grass valley/Burlington ridge again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We could have done that ride two weeks ago but area just got bombed by snow with more expected next week. You tired of the ocean? How about Lost Coast before the fog and tourist season but after the rain? Camp here @ Usalusal.jpg
    joeband likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links