• 4 Post By Lomax
  • 2 Post By Lomax
  • 1 Post By RockyTFS
  • 3 Post By stagewex
  • 1 Post By Lomax
  • 1 Post By Ken

Thread: Took a short ride to a brown ore mine

Took a short ride to a brown ore mine

My cousin is who purchased/traded The XT from me and yesterday was a good time for a few miles. Only got a few pictures of the Ore mine, Plan on going back to get more and a little more information about it. It's long forgotten to most people around here. including people that live only a few miles away. Until Mudbug researched it No One that did know it was there could tell me what it was over the years.
    Fred, Peterb, CJ7Pilot and 1 others like this.
    2007 Yamaha XT225
    2003 Yamaha Banshee 350
    2003 Polaris Sportsman 500
    1985 Honda 350X
    1969 Honda CT90

It doesn't appear that it takes up a very large area, we are going to go back soon and get some more pictures of it, we missed alot
    Fred and Ken like this.
    2007 Yamaha XT225
    2003 Yamaha Banshee 350
    1985 Honda 350X
    1969 Honda CT90

So you planning to ride MudBug's TW through the hole in the wall when you go back? We won't tell.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    So you planning to ride MudBug's TW through the hole in the wall when you go back? We won't tell.
    If I can get it down there it would make for a great picture. Currently you'll need a trials bike or perhaps a Rokon to get down there. Might be a way in from the bottom where whats left of the road is but I haven't looked around yet
    2007 Yamaha XT225
    2003 Yamaha Banshee 350
    1985 Honda 350X
    1969 Honda CT90

It's an old (really old) mill of some sort. The pad with the bolt sticking up was for a steam engine or a compressor. The rectangular recesses in the walls were likely for some huge wood beams. The mine must be nearby somewhere.
    Lomax likes this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

I love exploring old abandoned and almost forgotten stuff like that. A few of us were going to explore some of the abandoned Nike Missile Silo's last Summer around NY but never got around d to it. but it is well documented and surprisingly a lot of folks didn't know they were right around them in the urban areas. Everyone always thinks its like "Wargames" and buried in the western deserts, not right in their backyards.

Fortunately some of the equipment from these factory's still exist and are maintained by hobbyists and collectors. I caught this giant antique draw-saw at a motorcycle and implement show a few years ago. I didn't want to know the logger or farmer that owned it, I wanted to know who made/manufactured it.

It was easy with the internet to track the inventors, the factory, what else they made and what eventually became of the factory (it's gone), company and the town.
    Right up to today. Not a pretty picture of "we used to make everything" and early American industrial innovation.

Check out the picture at the beginning of this video, this factory was HUGE and employed hundreds/was the lifeblood of the community that built up around it.
    Now it's like the ruins you just visited:

Ken, Lomax and buellzebub like this.
    2008 Vespa 150"S" (Elec & Kick Start)
    2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
    2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
    1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
    1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
    1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)
    1969 BMW r60/2, US Model (Kick Start Only)

Quote Originally Posted by RockyTFS View Post
    It's an old (really old) mill of some sort. The pad with the bolt sticking up was for a steam engine or a compressor. The rectangular recesses in the walls were likely for some huge wood beams. The mine must be nearby somewhere.
    There are deep ditches that surround it, and somewhere near by there are supposed to be more (I think 3 dig sites, but all the ore came here). They were digging brown Ore and what remains of that structure is where I believe a furnace or a smelter along with some type of cleaning system for the ore was located. I think by sometime in the 20's it was already abandoned. Mudbug found some information on it a few years ago when i showed it to her, maybe she will chime in and let us know a little more about it. I remember reading that part of the Furnace was supposed to still be there. Weather has gone down hill for the next few days, when it passes I plan to go back to look around a little more
    buellzebub likes this.
    2007 Yamaha XT225
    2003 Yamaha Banshee 350
    1985 Honda 350X
    1969 Honda CT90

Here is a link to more information of the area, it starts on page 78 (physical page number, not the adobe number, i think its 96). Bowie Hill is what the place is called. Other names are Hickory nut mountain or Hickory hill. It was a place to ride dirt bikes from the 70's up into the early-mid 2000's. First time i seen the place i was probably 11, I'm 36 now https://pubs.usgs.gov/bul/0902/report.pdf
    2007 Yamaha XT225
    2003 Yamaha Banshee 350
    1985 Honda 350X
    1969 Honda CT90

Ken
    Interesting. Many of the roads used to be iron ore around Texas. I still thought it was cool to find the unpaved roads. When I started driving and especially when those roads are wet, muddy and slippery I'm glad I can drive on them only by choice because they sure stick and clog up everything that mud hits.
    Lomax likes this.

Sponosred Links