Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: a joint trip planned by joemama and fred

a joint trip planned by joemama and fred

adventure factor: HIGH.

Snow Camping in Mendocino Natl Forest

https://abcnews.go.com/US/california...ry?id=60905676

Ken likes this.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

And I was thinking of exploring the Hidden Coast about then, camping at Ursal Beach and riding the dirt tracks to Shelter Cove and then inland. Weather forecast changed my mind.
    Nice that the jeep couple survived. Imagine they will travel with a shovel next time. Often it doesn't take much to self-rescue.
    joeband and Ken like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

the lost coast is beautiful, and a trip along that neighborhood would be awesome!
    Joemama and Ken like this.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Have any of you NorCal types have ridden there? Not that far from Joemama. I 4x4 camped on high bluff along the Usal Road years past closer to shelter cove. Road was rough but thought it would be fun on the TW.

Usal Beach usal.jpg

Usal Campground featuresUsalBeachArea.jpg

I've about convinced myself that I must go there, maybe once weather permits. Need an excuse to try out the six speed.
    Willys714 and Ken like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

I go to Shelter Cove a couple times a year to kayak fish. It's a hell of a road to drive with an RV and trailer.
    First kayak fishing tournament is May 18th, called Gimme Shelter. It's the 13th annual so it's shortened to GS13. About 150 kayakers will be participating and we take over the campground. Anyone is welcome to join the party. After fishing, we have huge potluck and raffle with the money from raffle tickets going to various charities.

The second tournament is September 14th and is a bit smaller, maybe 1/3 as many kayakers enter. This one is called Open Shelter. It's an open tournament where as Gimme Shelter is an invitational.

Anyways, it's fun and I usually take my TW200.

Here's a link to photos from last year's GS12 event. Notice it's not all about fishing, it's also all about eating!!!
    GS12 - Reports and pictures starting on page 24
    Willys714 and Tweaker like this.
    The bear slayer!

i've done the road from ferndale to shelter cove via petrolia several times and that is one amazingly beautiful section of coast.

on our BC-BC ride we tried to take usal rd, but it was cut off at the time due to "issues" road construction so we had to head inland back to 101 at garberville. i'd love to check out that area, though i remember ticks were something fierce!

Hidden Content

I just got done watching a documentary about Murder Mountain. You don't have to go through Alderpoint to get to these places, do you? Maybe that's why they call it the Lost Coast.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Usal Beach is 25 miles SW of Alderpoint.
    My memories of Green Triangle travels were of a marijuana based economy, lots of Roosevelt Elk creating tunnels through the brush, terribly tight blacktop, and some of the best clam chowder overlooking the harbor at Shelter Cove.
    Figured Usal Road and HWy1 along the coast might be a good place to get familiar with the new lower first and tall sixth gears.
    admiral and Donzo like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Did Usal Rd last September on the CBX. Was a blast. There were a few times where I wondered "Why am I doing this?" and "How much longer?", but it was a good time. Seems like a great place to take the TWs. Not knowing the area or the campgrounds I was aiming for (and with hammock), I was running late, it was getting dark, and I was in a hurry. Skipped Usal Beach (time), and passed on Usal Campground (they were having a big festival at 4 Points and it was packed). Stayed at Wailaki Campground and checked out Shelter Cove the following morning. I went back mid-November, but they'd already closed Usal Rd for the season. And I totally understand - definitely not a road you want to be on if it's been raining at all, or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by joeband View Post
    Snow Camping in Mendocino Natl Forest

I went snow camping once in Mendocino Nat'l Forest. We had the place to ourselves and other than going through a ton of ammo there wasn't much to do. I don't think TW riding would get you far but then I don't really know as this was before TW days and I have never tried to ride a TW in the snow.

We entered on the east side of the forest on the road that goes to Covelo and went as far as we could -- ie the snow got to deep to proceed and that was with 4 wheel drive -- and then found a campground which we called home for a couple of days.

I had fun and am glad I went however, I was cold and had wet feet the entire time. I think now I would prefer going during the dry / warm season.
    TW-Brian and Fred like this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links