Moab 2019 - Travel companions / caravan / join trip ?
Close

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Fred
  • 2 Post By ToolmanJohn
  • 1 Post By plumbstraight

Thread: Moab 2019 - Travel companions / caravan / join trip ?

Moab 2019 - Travel companions / caravan / join trip ?

Just throwing this out here. I know it may be a long shot, but I was wondering if anyone from the east coast or southeast is heading out for the group 2019 Moab ride and trip? Maybe a caravan or any extra seat or perhaps some split travel costs? Anyhow, PM or post up. Would love to join in on this one if I can make it work out at all.

Thank you for the great idea Fred. Oh, Fred also, I cannot reply as your PMs are full

Thanks,

Frank
    Offroad:
    TW200 - The Goat
    KTM 300 - Orange Dragon
    ATVs

Onroad:
    Triumphs

Way too many past bikes and builds to list. I won't bore you. Questions? Just ask.
    =)

Dang, not again! And I'm such a shy guy, why do I get all the mail?

Another idea is perhaps arrange for a loaner bike and accommodations somehow. Then you could fly out with riding gear , etc. and arrange a pick-up or car rental in Salt Lake City. A lady did this successfully last year for the San Rafael ride. Not the same as riding your own rig but an option. I was loaned a TW once when my TW injested it's intake valve thus salvaging the balance of my trip. Moab may still have little Honda rentals too.
    Sthrnromr likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Hrmmm fly and ride in an alternate sense. Perhaps...perhaps...
    Offroad:
    TW200 - The Goat
    KTM 300 - Orange Dragon
    ATVs

Onroad:
    Triumphs

Way too many past bikes and builds to list. I won't bore you. Questions? Just ask.
    =)

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I also looked at the fly in and ride (rent) options. The main issue for me is I require a lower bike. Short inseam is a problem even with trying to find a suitable rental, and the rental would also have to be street legal plated to really be worthwhile. My limit is 32-33 inches in saddle height. After sagging correctly, I can get the balls of both feet down and I need that for any chance of safely riding lumpy terrain. There weren't any real options for rental. The other problem was rental cost. It was barely less expensive than shipping my own motorcycle both ways!!

I am going to make it out to Utah and Colorado and hopefully more of the southwest someday (sooner rather than later), but it will be a big chunk off from work and traveling with the toy hauler in tow. If there was some way I could get a 6 month leave of absence, I would do it. Being the supervisor/manager/trainer for my department makes it a bit difficult to take a monster block of time off from work. And the amount of traveling alone is kind of an issue too. i don't mind driving, I just know it can take many days to get somewhere and I want the trip to mean something other than piles of miles on the road. My plan has to include sight seeing/motorcycling/biking trail riding along the way. Someday.
    Sthrnromr and ejfranz like this.
    2017 Beta Xtrainer 300 - Suspension modified for height
    2013 Yamaha TW200 (Sold but not forgotten, possibly in the future when space permits)
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650R (sold) Fun for a year, then mega garage DUST collector
    1985 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk (sold) FUN - but became a dust collector
    1984 Honda CB450SC Nighthawk (sold) Primary transportation for almost 5 years
    Various other 2 wheel rolling junk not worthy of mention....

Quote Originally Posted by ToolmanJohn View Post
    I also looked at the fly in and ride (rent) options. The main issue for me is I require a lower bike. Short inseam is a problem even with trying to find a suitable rental, and the rental would also have to be street legal plated to really be worthwhile. My limit is 32-33 inches in saddle height. After sagging correctly, I can get the balls of both feet down and I need that for any chance of safely riding lumpy terrain. There weren't any real options for rental. The other problem was rental cost. It was barely less expensive than shipping my own motorcycle both ways!!

I am going to make it out to Utah and Colorado and hopefully more of the southwest someday (sooner rather than later), but it will be a big chunk off from work and traveling with the toy hauler in tow. If there was some way I could get a 6 month leave of absence, I would do it. Being the supervisor/manager/trainer for my department makes it a bit difficult to take a monster block of time off from work. And the amount of traveling alone is kind of an issue too. i don't mind driving, I just know it can take many days to get somewhere and I want the trip to mean something other than piles of miles on the road. My plan has to include sight seeing/motorcycling/biking trail riding along the way. Someday.
    I am with you on trying to reach some of these rides. I am on the NW corner of the nation and for the most part any ride is a days travel to get there. Two good days to Moab. Connecticut is most likely a 3day ride. Hope to see you in Moab. I was hoping to bring and extra TW with me, but I checked out clearances and I can't pack two with a sxs and pull a fifth wheel. I have a carrier on my 2in receiver and was hoping to carry one there under the nose of the fifthwheel, but the bike is just a couple inches too high. On second thought, if I let the air out of the tires and suck it down with the straps it might fit. Will see what I can do. Would be nice to have an extra, I have needed one on occasion.
    Tweaker likes this.

Randell, you could alway install or fabricate a front hitch for your truck and carry the extra TW there.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

Sponosred Links