Apple Valley to Lake Arrowhead ?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Looking at a map, it looks like you can ride from Apple Valley to Lake Arrowhead off-road taking the 173. I have family in Apple Valley so the plan is to bring the TW in my truck and then ride to Lake Arrowhead have lunch and then back to Apple Valley. My question is can it be done, what time of year and who wants to go with me?
    09 TW200

04 BMW 1150GS

61 Sunbeam Alpine

Sounds like fun. Spring or summer would be the time to go and I would like to be included, schedule permitting!

X2 with what Bullspit is saying. I would love to join if the scheduling works out.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

The state has permanently closed the offroad portion 173. Fortunately there are about 34 legal workarounds on numbered trails and roads ranging from all-paved to graded to scary.

Summer through fall are always a safe bet. Winter's sketchy depending on snowfall. Spring runoff can make things a bit sloppy with high water in the streams and some mucky sections, but usually doable. Wrightwood's more reliable year-round with essentially the same draw if you want some dirt and a quick lunch.

Hit us up anytime you're gunna be out this way.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

This sounds like fun. I've got to get my DR200's rear wheel laced up with a new spoke set, trued and balanced. Not sure when that'll happen. But I just got a new job so hopefully the money to do it will be available soon (old job just wasn't paying the bills, like at all...). If my bike is ready and this is planned on a day I have off, I think I might like to join. I say some time mid to late April might be a good time to plan this. Just a thought. Keep us posted.
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500, 1999 Toyota 4Runner

Past rides: 2015 Yamaha XT 250, 1997 Suzuki DR 200, 2007 Honda Ruckus, 2007 Yamaha TW 200, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500, 2009 Kawasaki KLX331S; 1994 GMC Sierra 1500, 1987 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 Acura Integra, 1986 Honda CRX, 1989 Jeep Cherokee, 1994 Chevrolet Astro Van, 1979 Volkswagen Rabbit, 1984 Jeep Cherokee

Thank you for all the replies, I was hoping it could be done. We will have to plan a day and route when the weather gets better.
    09 TW200

04 BMW 1150GS

61 Sunbeam Alpine

Sounds like a good time to me count me in

I'd buy lunch just to see Toyanvil's skidplate in the flesh.

Whose dollar menu cuisine would you prefer?

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

The 173 "beginning of the dirt" off of Lake Arrowhead Rd in Hesperia is marked closed however I have traveled it in my Jeep up to Arrowhead with no problems (the gate is open). It is sketchy in a 4 wheeled vehicle because passing is impossible due to the narrowness of the road. Not sure if they started locking the gate though, it was over a year ago when I last went up it. The alternative and better option is to ride the Pilot Rock Tr. up to the top of the 173 where it is open. Here is a link to the Trail head by Lake Silverwood. Pilot Rock Trail I'll keep an eye on this post, if you guys come up with a date that works for me I would love to join you. May and June are nice months to visit Arrowhead, March and April can be a little chilly. I hope this helps...
    1990 TW200

Upgrades: 2.7G. Clarke Tank, Pro Taper SE ATV High, MSR YZ80 Shift Lever, Shinko 244 4.60-18 (Front).

I agree. It's a semi-hot topic around here and things have changed a bit since your last visit. They've probably devoted as many resources to posting and enforcing the closure than it would have cost to maintain the road in the first place, but that's how it is. Gate is barricaded on the Arrowhead end and it's rumored their may also be cameras. San Berdoo County's finest sometimes patrol the flood control dam and the north end of it and you don't even wanna think about outriding those dudes on a TW (Though I reserve the right to do whatever sneakin' is required during deer season ). Hardly worth the hassle for lunch when there are more interesting legal routes like Pilot Rock. We'll just be a bit hungrier when we get there.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links