Admirals House Warming & TW Ride Gathering June 13-15 - Page 10
Close

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree604Likes

Thread: Admirals House Warming & TW Ride Gathering June 13-15

When Fred says he was worried you KNOW it was a hairy ride!
    littletommy and SanDue like this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Everything is relative. Once Admiral posts some videos or pictures you will understand just how hairy things were at times, way beyond a typical "Fredz Easy Trail" experience...something about thick bar grabbing blinding brush on foot wide trails hung on really steep slopes, big trees, roots & rocks, etc. I came away thinking we did pretty good for three old farts on aging vintage Yamamahogs, an IT, a DT, and a TW considering we were already middle aged when these bikes were made.
    But then again things are relative. On way home I camped along the Owyhee River where only other person was a kid from Tasmania loading up his squirt boat kayak for a solo five day whitewater float. No support, no shuttle arrangements, he simply planned to hitchhike back like he had been doing last 2 months on other western wild and scenic rivers. Spent a hour riverside with the very interesting fellow pouring over maps, sharing tales and hearing his plans for steep creek & big water floats in the next month. He sure seemed confident to tackle our Class V rapids. I wished him well and envied his self confidence and spirit of adventure.
    Made our rides seem tame by comparison.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

All Quiet in Frost Hollow

The last of the riders (ejfranz) left yesterday morning and the shop is all quiet. No more discussions of what tires we should use, oil to use, batteries to use (or not use), seat comfort or how much gas to carry for the day. No more sitting around the kitchen table telling lies over coffee or getting how "hammered" or "shipfaced" during and/or after our ride was over.

Mrs. Admiral and I would like to thank everyone who came and hope you had a good time: ejfranz, Fred, Brad & Julie, Randall, Jay, Jeff and a cameo ride with one of my son's "Stig" aka Kyle.

Until I go through all of the photos and videos I'll leave you with a few photos from various days ride.

We stopped by a few cemeteries just in case someone was getting unruly in the group

Easy trails. Don't listen to Rocky...or Fred, they were easy peasy. Of course I say that now after my "Kung Foo" gripe has lessened a bit.

That's not to say there weren't some obstacles. Like not being able to see the trail on side hill exposure because of the bushes

But the views were well worth the horror/terror we experienced

Some hopeful early season navigation planning didn't quite turn out the way I would have liked

But sometimes you get lucky. Thanks to Fred spotting the sign for gas in the middle of the woods we made it home safely so we can ride another day. We'll tell the stories soon.

Oh, and I'm glad I found this the day AFTER the trail ride and not DURING the trail ride.
    Last edited by admiral; 06-20-2019 at 08:37 AM.
    Purple, Fred, ejfranz and 6 others like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Looks like you nailed it Admiral!

That 98 octane ethanol free gas was $6/gallon but we were happy to pay it. Without it the math just wasn't adding up to getting all three bikes back to civilization on the available fuel. Once Ejfranz said he had hit reserve I figured we would soon have to send Admiral on ahead with a vague promise to return with some recycled dinosaur sauce for us. Once we had the gas though we were able to turn around now enjoy another very smooth scenic route out of the Deadwood basin, our third attempt. An epic ride full of contrasts and memories I shall not soon forget. Saw elk and other wildlife but not the wolf that ran in front of ejfranz. Wonder if he saw the plump snake on the inside line of one of those 50mph sweeping corners towards the end...we had experienced so much by then that what difference did dodging a snake make.
    Last edited by Fred; 06-20-2019 at 09:56 AM.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

A Few Pictures

Bikes resting in the shade

Riders resting in the shade and refuelling

One of many amazing views

Our host - he even posed for the picture, but sadly my bike is blocking his leg stance (you had to be there)

The hill that kicked my butt - This is along the single track that Fred, Jeff and I had briefly explored a few days earlier ( I might try it again, but I would drop from a 13 to a 12 on the front sprocket and I would want the Motoz extreme Hybrid on the rear OR a Trials Motorcycle)

The trail up to the hill that ...

View from where I was gathering my breath and texting Admiral for help

Another picture of the hill a bit higher up - I was too tired to walk up to the actual rock that got me, but you can see the bushes on the left near the top of the picture that I grabbed to stop myself and the bike from the slide down the hill. NOTE: Hill is much stepper than it appears. I could barely walk up it as I kept sliding. The bike actually had a better footing than I did and once I got the bike past the rock, I was able to ride it out.

I did text Kris to abandon the rescue, once I got too the top of the hill as there was a NASTY down hill that I would not want to ride up.
    grewen, littletommy, Fred and 3 others like this.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

EEEEEEEEEKKKK!

Just because we visited a cemetery doesn't mean I wanted to end up there!!!!
    Last edited by RockyTFS; 06-20-2019 at 05:40 PM.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Some days, I'm happy just to get out for a ride, let alone anything challenging!!! Gee Whiz!!!

Well Done!!
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    Some days, I'm happy just to get out for a ride, let alone anything challenging!!! Gee Whiz!!!

Well Done!!
    On day 4 we did start ratcheting up the technical riding. As shown above, ejfranz went above and beyond hitting the Airline Trail...which I thought was gonna be easier.

Post house warming rides, I did ride the TW down to the lodge to meet Mrs. Admiral for dinner the other night. Oh, and my back is still reminding me of the events!
    littletommy and ejfranz like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Day 1 video.

Put together a ride gathering based out of our house for several days. On this ride, we did a big loop on forest service roads north of Garden Valley, ID. A few of us broke off on an ATV trail and rejoined the rest of our group at the bottom of the trail for lunch. The ATV trail was very smooth and had a good flow. Fun trail. We continued the day on the forest service freeways and worked our way back home.

Now that’s more like it – although when you see Randall with his visor down, somethings up …..
    littletommy and admiral like this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links