Admirals House Warming & TW Ride Gathering June 13-15 - Page 17
Close

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast
Like Tree687Likes

Thread: Admirals House Warming & TW Ride Gathering June 13-15

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Noticed that Admiral's recent video's when play backed for me feature distortions in the far ground and things coming into focus as they get closer. This just me, or camera image stabilization, or perhaps from the editing process?
    The finished movie is crystal clear on my computer before uploading it to Youtube so it's looses some quality in the upload. On my home computer I have the same focus issue as you but it's all youtube video's not just mine. More noticeable when recording is done in close quarters like on a trail. However, some of it is from the video editor but only noticeable when uploaded.

I don't seem to notice this "focus problem" on my big screen TV. All video's seem much clearer on the TV than computer so I'm also thinking some of the resolution problem is with the computer.

A couple months back I finally broke down a bought a movie editor program. It did a great job and I think the video quality wasn't lost as much when uploaded. However, I had a problem with the program not opening up and the companies tech support couldn't fix it so I got my money refunded. I'm gonna purchase a different video program very soon but had to resort to the old "free" standby program I used to use.

The focus problem has nothing to do with the camera or image stabilization from the camera.
    ejfranz, Fred and SanDue like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

I've had pretty good luck with the free Shotcut program for my videos.....(most of which you would never see!)
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Peace Creek Adventure Part III - Habit Creek All Downhill from Here

Admirals Housing Warming Ride continued...

We continue our Peace Creek Adventure and transition to Habit Creek Trail and head to Deadwood Reservoir.

On the way down Habit Creek trail we get our first glimpse of Deadwood Reservoir. I'm kind of hoping to see camp trailers camped at the reservoir so I know the roads are open and we don't have to backtrack on this and Peace Creek trails. My hands kind of hurt from the Kung Foo gripe I've had on the handle bars since near the beginning of the ride.

I don't know why trail clearing crews don't cut through the logs just a bit wider.

This was more than a tight fit but we squeezed on through.

After we complete this trail we have more "adventure" to come so stay tuned.
    Purple, Fred, ejfranz and 3 others like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

"I'll deal with the snow" ....Right, that is going to be good.

Glad I wasn't the only one who thought the horsemen could have cut some of those deadfalls just a wee bit wider. A two inch wider cut could have avoided some unintended wood carving with axle bolts and foot pegs as well as knee banging on a cut log end hiding behind brush.

Another well made & memorable video Admiral. Keep 'em coming!
    admiral, ejfranz and SanDue like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Peace Creek Adventure Part IV - The Long way Home

Challis ride and the preparation thereof interfered with me completing this so I'll finish this ride up.

Not wanting to retrace our route I decide to take the roads back over Scott Mtn. home. Ended up with a little problem there.

Heading south around Deadwood Reservoir we cross over/through the Deadwood airstrip. Watch for low flying aircraft!

Quick stop to view the Deadwood Dam spillway. Nice mist coming off the raging water. Great place to stop on a hot day for sure.

...and here was the issue. Snow on the road!. I know I mentioned we'll deal with the snow when/if we see any but I didn't think we'd see any since there was big 5th wheel campers at campgrounds around the reservoir. Oops!

"We're almost to the top" I mentioned a few times when asked

We probably pushed on a little farther than we should have but eventually I made the call to turn around and head a different way out...I hoped!

Gas glorious gas!

Decided to backtrack to Cascade not knowing if the pass to Lowman was open or not. At some point on the backtrack, ejfranz reports he had to go on reserve. We have a long way to go and he'll never make it even siphoning gas off me. Fortunately, Fred spots a gas sign at Deadwood Lodge, something ejfranz and myself missed. It was $6.00 a gallon but we didn't care and were grateful to have the gas. Was informed the pass to Lowman was indeed open and we headed back again past Deadwood Reservoir and turned at the jct. towards Lowman...which was the shortest way home. Thus, this became the Long Way Home.

Sometimes you gotta have luck with gas out in the middle of nowhere. Then there is the other kind of luck...finding a nail in your tire THE DAY AFTER THE RIDE! Whew, patching a tube on the trail would have added a bit of time to the LONG WAY HOME.

Purple, Donzo, mhomadness and 3 others like this.

Lost My Nerve and Wussed Out

Last day. Only 2 riders remained...

After a long day of riding yesterday (Peace Creek Trail), much of it on single track, I discovered I hit my single track sidehill exposure limit.

I was gonna ride Squirrel (XT200) but found this as we headed off so just traded bikes and took Blue Bunny instead

ejfranz, I'll follow you almost anywhere but...

You have to keep your eyes on the trail and the stumps trying to jump out and grab you

The place I lost my nerve

So I turned around and told ejfranz I'd meet him at the top. Only later did I find out why he didn't turn around here with me. And it didn't get much better from here but he did make it.

...but not without some concerns as he was txting me. (Leaving McCall and gas cap are unrelated to this story)

Again, I'd like to thank everyone who came and hope you enjoyed yourself for as long as you stayed. 'Till next year!
    Last edited by admiral; 08-14-2019 at 08:13 AM.
    Donzo, Mel, SanDue and 5 others like this.

Serious side hill there. Something you would have aced with confidence on the first day but after a week of riding and fresh Peace Trail memories I can imagine the reluctance. "Gee, do I really want to run risk of sliding off the trail?"
    admiral likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

I like how you changed the GPS co-ordinates I sent you Screenshot 2019-08-14 11.34.59.png. Your pictures and video do not show the real nasty exposed climb. If you have the original you should zoom in and crop that section.
    Kris and I had a yelling conversation on what to do. I did not want to come back down that hill so we decided to meet at the trail end. Later on in the ride I would have to come down a steeper, but shorter hill. Not a good sign when you are deciding on a route down a hill and see that a fair number of rider had over shot the trail at the bottom.
    admiral likes this.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Serious side hill there. Something you would have aced with confidence on the first day but after a week of riding and fresh Peace Trail memories I can imagine the reluctance. "Gee, do I really want to run risk of sliding off the trail?"
    I had too much time to think about it I guess. Probably why Eckhart and White Elephant didn't let me vote when going to the top of Twin Peaks Lookout on the Challis ride. I got to the turn off and they just headed up the lookout road, so I followed.
    ejfranz likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ejfranz View Post
    I like how you changed the GPS co-ordinates I sent you Screenshot 2019-08-14 11.34.59.png. Your pictures and video do not show the real nasty exposed climb. If you have the original you should zoom in and crop that section.
    Kris and I had a yelling conversation on what to do. I did not want to come back down that hill so we decided to meet at the trail end. Later on in the ride I would have to come down a steeper, but shorter hill. Not a good sign when you are deciding on a route down a hill and see that a fair number of rider had over shot the trail at the bottom.
    I tried to zoom in on the nasty exposure section but it gets to distorted when zoomed in.

The yelling was because we were far apart not because we were mad at each other. At least I wasn't mad!

I thought the Lat/Long change was fitting.

P.S. Eckhart, I rode some short sections of single track yesterday but not nearly as much side hill exposure. Did have to watch out for the bear or bears! Video at 11:00 haha!
    ejfranz likes this.

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Sponosred Links