Admirals 2019 Moab Report - Page 3
Close

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree194Likes

Thread: Admirals 2019 Moab Report

Gnarly ride

Nice to know that your breathing was as heavy as mine (on my first ride) – the helmet audio definitely adds another dimension

When approaching a steep step, I find it best to get the front wheel up and over, rest the rear wheel against the base of the incline, put your left foot out onto the slope to where to front wheel is (or as close as you can get) and take your body weight off the seat. Let out the clutch, and let the rear wheel bite rock – the bike will buck up, collecting your butt along the way, and you still have the rear brake under your foot all the way

I realise that I’m teaching you how to suck eggs here, but just saying that that’s one thing I’ve found that works for me when confronted by an “Oh shit, how do I get back up there” moment when I’ve jumped down onto the beach when the road ends (vertically). Anglesey may be tame by comparison, but it is not without its challenges

Great vid Admiral, and a perfect example of the kind of terrain Moab can throw up at you ……
    Sthrnromr and admiral like this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Kris, once again you present us with a great video that captures some of the experience of tackling the rougher Jeep trails of Moab. Toss in some scenery, some humor and a bunch of fellow riders helping out and it is another entertaining winner.
    One hears a bit more huffing and puffing from a hard working biker compared to a Jeeper, but the TWs cover 3 times the distance or more on a given day. That was a good day & a good ride.
    Sthrnromr, Purple and admiral like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    .....When approaching a steep step, I find it best to get the front wheel up and over, rest the rear wheel against the base of the incline, put your left foot out onto the slope to where to front wheel is (or as close as you can get) and take your body weight off the seat. Let out the clutch, and let the rear wheel bite rock – the bike will buck up, collecting your butt along the way, and you still have the rear brake under your foot all the way
    ……
    Well, there is a technique I've never tried! It must need a bit of English.....body English that is. Now where did that come from?

Merriam Webster:

: the bodily movements a rider makes to supplement basic steering of a vehicle… learning to control the howling machine with a combination of throttle and body English— Peter Passell

Now, that's funny....a TW200 a "howling machine" ?
    white mule and Purple like this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Kris, once again you present us with a great video that captures some of the experience of tackling the rougher Jeep trails of Moab. Toss in some scenery, some humor and a bunch of fellow riders helping out and it is another entertaining winner.
    One hears a bit more huffing and puffing from a hard working biker compared to a Jeeper, but the TWs cover 3 times the distance or more on a given day. That was a good day & a good ride.
    By the time I caught up to you guys at the waterfall I was pretty tired from trying to catch up. Lots of standing up to absorb the...everything!
    ejfranz, Sthrnromr and Fred like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Quote Originally Posted by ejfranz View Post
    The next time you are in Moab, you need to complete the Rusty Nail. Jeff and I will take you .
    I'm retired now. I don't want to work that hard. My dog ate the TW keys. I'll have to double up on the "Depends"!
    ejfranz, Sthrnromr, Donzo and 1 others like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Jeez, I've always wanted to do that!
    admiral and ejfranz like this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Moab 19 Day 4 GBR GS PS Part II Waterfall to Golden Crack

Hang on, here we go again. Back with the group after I had to switch bikes at the very start of the day. We head from the "Waterfall to the Golden Crack. Good times!

Follow the yellow brick road. 'cept it ain't yellow. In our case the yellow brick road is more orange & white rock/sand mixed with black tire marks, gashes in the rock and occasional white stripes.

Yup, not a brick wall but a wall just the same

It's not hard. Ok, I lied, it's hard. (TW Shell up top, then Fred, Commandog followed by Wandering Larry)

So easy riders are showing off. Hi Ho Silver, Away! (Wandering Larry)

I think ejfranz was collecting the "going through the pass" fee. Oh, we paid for it alright! (Mountain Yawp riding, ejfranz collecting)

A smooth section (ejfranz)

Riding by the Toyota. Dangerous as the Toyota was on fire!

TW Shell crossing the motorcycle friendly part of the Golden Crack

Stay tuned for Part III, Golden Crack to Poison Spider. That'll be easy!!!!

I swear - if I ever meet up with the clown who puts the white lines down, he's gonna get a slap .....
    admiral, white mule, Mel and 2 others like this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Outstanding job Kris! Thanks for all your efforts.
    Fred, Purple and admiral like this.
    Beauty is as beauty does.
    If it works good, it's beautiful.

Another outstanding video. New camera plus software really creates a nice product. A little heavy breathing from Kris gives a hint of the effort the terrain demands.

Having pounded down a few miles of rocky challenges I felt well conditioned to simply ride across the Golden Crack sans assist since there was such a nice big rock to land on. About half of us rode across, the others gladly accepted a helping hand or two. Mind over matter I figured, looks intimidating since no one wants to end up in the bottom of the crack. But not really worse than other drop offs we had navigated.

Many thanks Kris, I had almost forgotten how much fun and carnage we had. Big thanks to Wandering Larry for giving MrGizmo a wild ride in the vertical.
    Purple, ejfranz and admiral like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponosred Links