Upper Michigan Fall Ride
Close

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Parrett
  • 1 Post By Super Yooper

Thread: Upper Michigan Fall Ride

Upper Michigan Fall Ride

Looking for fellow tdub riders in Upper Michigan to try to put together a ride in the Hiawatha National Forest, possibly in late September or early October. Usually peak color is right around 1st or 2nd week of October. There are many routes and/or options and could be a road ride, a trail ride or a lot of single track. What the group would be interested in. Let me know if your interested.

You might have better luck if you title it ....Upper Michigan NO FALL ride. Most of us are so old we won't even consider a ride where they advertise that we are gonna FALL a lot. :}
    Hope you'll get a good turnout and have a great time

Senior Member Michael Bryce Winnick's Avatar
    I live in Sault Sainte Marie. Tell me where you want me to meet you and where. Your idea royally kicks ass. My bike with me and windscreen can do 65 mph all day long. When the speed limits on U.S. 2 and
    M-28 were 55 m.p.h. (last year) I was ok on the road. The speed limits jumped to 65 this year and as such most people are clipping along at 70. Many 18 wheelers. Many people from downstate doing 80 mph on I-75 most of the day before getting off on U.S. 2.

M-28 is still manageable. Lots of passing lanes. Better scenery. Milder traffic. You can sit at 55 m.p.h. and be ok.

You have a great idea.

With all things being equal you should start at the Mackinac Bridge and take Mackinac Trail into Rudyard. Then H-40 into M-123, Take M-123 around Tahquamenon Falls to M-28. (M-28 is a much safer bet). U.S. 2 is out of the question. M-28 to Grand Marais. Pick up M-58 (Hurricane Highway). Google this. Every ride will be second best after that stretch of road. M-58 puts you back on M-28 in Munising. Take M-28 East until you get back to where you started from. Great ride. The gas stations allow you to pull this off. I have a Clarke Tank, but an OEM range of 60 miles or so will get you where you want to go.
    Last edited by Michael Bryce Winnick; 05-18-2019 at 10:46 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I live in Rapid River, the Southwest cornet of the West unit of the National Forest. I was thinking of a loop through the West unit. Could start in either Manistique or Munising and make a 150 mile loop and end back at the starting point. Doing something like that we can avoid most of those highways you mentioned and stay on FS roads most of the way. Plenty of gas/bar/restaurants in that area.
    Willys714 and Fred like this.

Senior Member Michael Bryce Winnick's Avatar
    I like your idea and I hope you get other riders on board. What if you started your ride on US-2 and M-77 into Gran Marais then M-58 Hurricane Highway then you are in Munising then some more miles from there. I am 120 miles from Manistique. How far are you from Gulliver?

I'm in the western U.P., Bessemer. Interested, but broke down today in the Ottawa National Forest between 519 and Black River road. I'll take it apart tomorrow, thinking clutch. If I can get it back together it's possibl. Today was spectacular, including my unexpected hike and recovery.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    admiral likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Yooper View Post
    I'm in the western U.P., Bessemer. Interested, but broke down today in the Ottawa National Forest between 519 and Black River road. I'll take it apart tomorrow, thinking clutch. If I can get it back together it's possibl. Today was spectacular, including my unexpected hike and recovery.
    Welcome to the forum.

Every great once in a while we get to experience the "unexpected". I think it's a rule that TW's must be recovered using a red utility trailer with wood sides. ...and pulled with a 4x4 vehicle.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Sponosred Links