Like Tree15Likes
  • 8 Post By Fred
  • 1 Post By Fred
  • 1 Post By Purple
  • 1 Post By admiral
  • 4 Post By Fred

Thread: Evening Rides

Evening Rides

Adam-in-Nevada & I went out again last night for an after-work trail ride leaving about 7pm. Didn't make it home 'till 10 pm since it was just so much fun I had to keep going. Should do this more often since it is amazingly fun on a warm evening. Quick video:

I had gotten thoroughly wet charging through a massive puddle within the first 3 miles. Assumed I would get cold and abandon the ride early but I dries and stayed warm whole ride.
    Last edited by Fred; 06-06-2019 at 09:28 PM.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Ummm no video!
    Hidden Content 2003 Tw200, 2014 BWS 150, 1969 VW Beetle Baja, 1972 Super Beetle and a 1987 Suzuki Samurai.

It's there - just says it's not - click on it ....
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Sorry, video was "private". "Public" & viewable now.

I find night tail riding really pleasant. Bats & birds and bugs can loom up out of the darkness, evening smells can differ with night blooming flowers, your senses get tuned into new stimulus. Headlights deepen and accentuate the terrain irregularities ahead. Never see any traffic , but should there be their headlights should give ample warning. Thus it seems a very personal experience. I recommend giving it a try some time .
    Sthrnromr likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

They said there'd be flashbacks .....
    Hoot Gibson likes this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Holy backwash batman, that was a wicked washout on that one trail/road! I had this one night ride a few years ago that didn't turn out quite a pleasant as this one you and Adam rode. I'll take your version for personal safety. My version does make for a good campfire story though. Good evening ride Fred (and Adam).
    ejfranz likes this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Usually don't pioneer the ugknown much after dark but rather back-track or ride trails I am familiar with. Otherwise it gets to be too much like risk management rather than fun. Familiarity can avoid those nasty surprises that can loom up out of the dark.
    Full moon is coming up on the 17th so next weekend should have the almost full moon rising soon after the sun is setting (at my latitude that is). Great summer lighting conditions as days are getting longer towards the Summer Solstice. Better opportunities to have a long day recreating don't come more often.
    So why not take your (insert favorite noun here...TW, kayak, dog, wife.etc) out to ( insert good destination, anything but monther-in-laws) and (ride, paddle, fish, hike, eat ice cream) untill late and come home under moonlight?
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

That looks like a load of fun Fred. The bumps and whoops all look huge from the shadows off the headlight. My father used to take me riding at night when I was a lad . We had more fun sometimes than all day rides on the weekends. I imagine I'd have to ride cautiously as ever now as my night vision sucks
    87 TW

Tossing bucket loads of lumens out front sure can help compensate for decaying night vision. My long range auxiliary lights were not working for this ride but the main LED headlight was supposedly putting out some 5,700 lumens, good enough for the close in work. Fairly broad illumination lights things up somewhat uniformly without the dancing cut-off margin cast by the admittedly good KLX stock halogen headlight. Since the eye tends to be attracted to motion I find the bouncing beam pattern of Adam's bike somewhat distracting since it has a strong cut-off on the margins. The hotter LED sure is noticeably whiter than yellow cooler light from incandescent sources.
    Last edited by Fred; 06-09-2019 at 08:29 AM.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Evening Rides

I like evenings rides in summer just as slight relief from the pervasive heat. I definitely need some more lumens though for when that sun drops completely below the horizon. Also preferably something that doesn’t drain too much power :/
    Last edited by Sthrnromr; 06-08-2019 at 10:59 AM.
    Offroad:
    TW200 - The Goat
    KTM 300 - Orange Dragon
    ATVs

Onroad:
    Triumphs

Way too many past bikes and builds to list. I won't bore you. Questions? Just ask.
    =)

Sponosred Links