Redlands to Big Bear and Back Ride
Close

Like Tree10Likes
  • 9 Post By Kev250R
  • 1 Post By TW Newb

Thread: Redlands to Big Bear and Back Ride

Redlands to Big Bear and Back Ride

Hi all,

Wow, it's been a long time since I've been active on this forum! I still see some familar names and lots of new ones which is cool! Life has kept me pretty busy the past couple of years but hasn't kept me from riding my trusty TW! I'm going to try to be more active on the forum and will try to post about some of the adventures (and mis-adventures) I go on with my TW! I have several rides coming-up this summer and will try to post trip reports with, knowing me 10 of the same picture of my bike just taken in different places LOL!

So last weekend two of my friends and I took a day ride from Redlands to Big Bear City where there's a burger place and a cabin which belongs to my family which we needed to check-on. Sadly I didn't realize that there was a TW-specific ride in-town that weekend otherwise I probably would have joined-in, although in hindsight it does explain why I saw a few TW's buzzing around town!

BB10.JPG

My TW was joined by it's two close friends, a Husky 350 and a brand-new Honda 450L! Of course since I knew the route and have the map my two fast friends were stuck following behind me all day! LOL

We trucked our bikes from OC to our meeting-point in Redlands, un-loaded and drooled over the new 450L which would be joining-us on this ride! Soon we were geared-up and blasting-up Hwy 38. Well blasting may be a bit of a stretch (I can barely hold 60 with my current gearing) but soon we were at the turn-off for our first Forest Road which would take us the back way to Angelus Oaks (1N12).

We were all (meaning me, my friends are much better riders than me riding much more capable bikes did not seem very concerned) worried about what conditions the trails we planned to ride would be in. I spend a lot of my weekends in Big Bear off-roading in my 4x4 but I hadn't actually been on any of the roads we were going to ride this day yet this summer. Thankfully 1N12 had just been cleared and graded maybe a day or two before our ride so we were treated to smooth dirt roads and had a nice relaxing ride up to Angelus Oaks, even getting to see a Deer along the way!

Following our arrival at AO we briefly jumped onto Hwy 38 and turned onto Middle Control Road which is always a fun blast allowing us to slide around corners and enjoy our decent into the Santa Ana River valley.

My plan was to take Camp Radford Rd. Up and over the hill, however Radford Rd. we soon found is still closed due to storm damage. So we turned around and made for Clark's Grade, which is not one of my favorite rides (I find it steep, rutted and not very shady) however my trusty TW and I took it in-stride and apart from stopping mid-way for one photo op we continued with no drama, other than one off I had when I attempted to pop-over a rock and instead fell over it. Oops!

BB20.JPG
    Such a good little bike!

After stopping at the summit of Clark's Grade for a water and cookie (don't judge me, I know what I like) break we turned onto the Skyline trail where for the next 8 miles we dodged Mountain Bikers, Runners, Hikers and classic Bronco's eventually dropped into the back-side of Moonridge and headed for town, which is where I took a Bee to the face at 40 MPH. Being in the lead is not for the faint-of-heart!

We filled our Bellies at our favorite Burger Joint and caught-up with a friend who runs the place.

BB30.JPG
    Two ultra-modern, plated dirt bikes. And one, well we just call it a TW :-)

Following lunch we rode over to the cabin my family owns and hung-out for a while under the trees and talked lazily of future rides we'd all like to take this summer.

Soon it was time to head-down the hill (fun is fun but we al had plans back home that night). Back onto Hwy 30 we turned onto 2N23 which led us past one of my favorite places to sit and relax before dropping us back onto Hwy38

BB40.JPG
    I call this Cookie meadow. Because I generally sit here, eat cookies, drink water and take the same picture of this meadow I've taken 100x before!

BB50.JPG
    Some great views on our way back to Hwy 38!

Once back to Hwy 38 we planned-on taking a trail which traces the Santa Ana river from South Fork to Glass Rd, however this road is also closed due to Storm damage so as it was getting late in the day we opted to slab it back to Redlands on Hwy 38, pulling-over to let faster traffic pass us a couple of times.

Safely back to our trucks we loaded-up and headed-back to OC!

I hope you enjoyed! This is the first of many rides I'll be going-on in the So.Cal. area this summer. I only rode my TW 400 miles in the past 12 months, my goal is to hit 1,000 by the time I return to desert riding on my Quad in October. We'll see if I can make it to my goal!

Kevin
    '04 TW - Ricochet skid plate, IMS pegs, Odyssey battery, Seat Concepts seat, wide front tire. Geared low N' Slow Hidden Content

Honda Grom
    KTM 990 Adventure

If you rode last Thursday I saw you while we were mountain biking Santa Ana river rd from South Fork to Glass Rd. The closed area was totally washed out and mostly unrideable.
    Dale

I can hardly hold 40 climbing hwy 38 lol.
    I took the group up Clarks as well. I find it to be very fun on the TW. Boring in a 4x4 though.
    2001 TW

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by d_denver View Post
    If you rode last Thursday I saw you while we were mountain biking Santa Ana river rd from South Fork to Glass Rd. The closed area was totally washed out and mostly unrideable.
    Dale
    Quote Originally Posted by d_denver View Post
    Dale
    Hi Dale,

Sadly that wasn't us; we rode last Saturday. We did see a lot of heavy equipment staged near-by so my thought is it won't be too long until crews are working on the trail which runs next to the Santa Ana River. I know it's a popular place with lots of people so I could see them wanting to get it open sooner then later.

Kevin
    '04 TW - Ricochet skid plate, IMS pegs, Odyssey battery, Seat Concepts seat, wide front tire. Geared low N' Slow Hidden Content

Honda Grom
    KTM 990 Adventure

Quote Originally Posted by TW Newb View Post
    I took the group up Clarks as well. I find it to be very fun on the TW. Boring in a 4x4 though.
    It sounds like you guys had a quite a ride! Maybe I'll be able to join you all on a future one; I'm going to try and be better about checking-in on this site more often.

I hadn't ridden my TW in dirt since last August so for me Clark's was a bit of a challenge! I'm going-back up to the cabin next week, but that time I'll be up there for a couple of days so I may try it in my 4x4 (a short-wheelbase Isuzu Amigo) if Radford isn't open by then.

Kevin

Honda Grom
    KTM 990 Adventure

Quote Originally Posted by Kev250R View Post
    Hi Dale,

Sadly that wasn't us; we rode last Saturday. We did see a lot of heavy equipment staged near-by so my thought is it won't be too long until crews are working on the trail which runs next to the Santa Ana River. I know it's a popular place with lots of people so I could see them wanting to get it open sooner then later.

Kevin
    That's quite a coincidence, Thursday while mountain Biking we saw a TW and what appeared to be a Honda (Red). In that area. I think all that equipment was for HWY 38....
    Last edited by d_denver; 06-11-2019 at 11:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev250R View Post
    It sounds like you guys had a quite a ride! Maybe I'll be able to join you all on a future one; I'm going to try and be better about checking-in on this site more often.

I hadn't ridden my TW in dirt since last August so for me Clark's was a bit of a challenge! I'm going-back up to the cabin next week, but that time I'll be up there for a couple of days so I may try it in my 4x4 (a short-wheelbase Isuzu Amigo) if Radford isn't open by then.

Kevin
    It was an awesome weekend!!!

If you're on Facebook join the Tw200 west coast community.
    On Instagram follow gcrad1, tildeathdualussport, and yamahatdubclub for upcoming rides.
    ETAV8R likes this.
    2001 TW

It was an awesome weekend!!!

If you're on Facebook join the Tw200 west coast community.
    On Instagram follow gcrad1, tildeathdualussport, and yamahatdubclub for upcoming rides.
    Thanks! I'm not on FB but am on Instagram as Kev250R I'll check you guys out on IG!

Kevin

Honda Grom
    KTM 990 Adventure

Sponosred Links