Duel Sportin'...
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Duel Sportin'...

Duel Sportin'...

Hello, first post here...figured why not a ride report. Unfortunately, I don't have any pics from today. It was my cousin and I on our 2019 TW200s and my Uncle on his KTM 450. I put in 22 miles of pavement first to meet my cousin at his house, we then met up with my Uncle at his place a few miles away but headed up to the hills.

About 20 miles of gravel road and another 20 miles of pavement has us at the last gas station with about 65 miles on the counter. We all fill up and finally hit forest service roads after another 5 miles of black top. I'm running 18psi in the stock tires and wow do they feel squirrelly in the dirt/gravel! I somehow make it about 10 miles trying to keep up with my Uncle on his KTM before I lose it in the silt with double ruts in the road. Laid it down and scraped my left knee. After I get back up and get going again, I just kept it to a slow pace and everything was relatively OK. I let some air out of my tires after I met back up with them. Seemed to help a little but I could tell that it was still marbles on ice!

We put down another 20 miles of Forrest service roads without incident and then 30 miles of blacktop to get home. 130 miles was my count and man did that kill my rear! Front tire needs an upgrade, and the suspension is stiff in the back and soft yet harsh in the front...lol. Good day regardless!
    Fred, ejfranz, Dryden-Tdub and 2 others like this.

Ken
    Welcome. That was a good ride for an introduction. I bet you'll have it up and going like you want really soon.
    1993 TW200 just shy of 46,000 miles

Thanks, I've been riding to work and back every day for the last few weeks. I believe I have a tick over 400 miles on it now. Ready for its second "Break in" oil change! First was at 80 miles just to clean out the metal shavings.
    Ken likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by DesertCJ View Post
    Hello, first post here...figured why not a ride report. Unfortunately, I don't have any pics from today. It was my cousin and I on our 2019 TW200s and my Uncle on his KTM 450. I put in 22 miles of pavement first to meet my cousin at his house, we then met up with my Uncle at his place a few miles away but headed up to the hills.

About 20 miles of gravel road and another 20 miles of pavement has us at the last gas station with about 65 miles on the counter. We all fill up and finally hit forest service roads after another 5 miles of black top. I'm running 18psi in the stock tires and wow do they feel squirrelly in the dirt/gravel! I somehow make it about 10 miles trying to keep up with my Uncle on his KTM before I lose it in the silt with double ruts in the road. Laid it down and scraped my left knee. After I get back up and get going again, I just kept it to a slow pace and everything was relatively OK. I let some air out of my tires after I met back up with them. Seemed to help a little but I could tell that it was still marbles on ice!

We put down another 20 miles of Forrest service roads without incident and then 30 miles of blacktop to get home. 130 miles was my count and man did that kill my rear! Front tire needs an upgrade, and the suspension is stiff in the back and soft yet harsh in the front...lol. Good day regardless!
    And what did we learn ??? TWs are not serious dirt bikes, more like utility ATVs really . Down low and slow is my style these days but don't try hanging with serious dirt bikes (KTM Race Ready motto) LOL unless you like injuries...
    2006 TW200 CA version

Yeah, my uncle has been riding for probably 50 years. He's pretty good. It wasn't anything crazy where I laid it down, just a bad combination of silt, ruts, inexperience, speed (20mph?)and maybe not the best front tire or air pressure.
    Ken likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertCJ View Post
    Yeah, my uncle has been riding for probably 50 years. He's pretty good. It wasn't anything crazy where I laid it down, just a bad combination of silt, ruts, inexperience, speed (20mph?)and maybe not the best front tire or air pressure.
    Definitely the front tire contributed to the crash.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

The TW34 you have on the rear is about as good as it gets, both on the road, and in the dirt. The stock front however, is pretty much crap, and should be changed before it kills you – we call it “the death wing” – switch it out for a Shinko 241 ASAP

The suspension (or rather the lack of it), is largely balanced out by the size of the tires. Lower the pressure on the trails to around 12 psi, and you’ll find it easier – but on the road, you need to get them back up to at least 18 psi – there is no happy “medium” if you want a softer ride on the trails

We look at this bike as more of a “mule” than the “race horse” of the KTM that you were riding with – it’ll get you along trails the KTM would balk at, but at a slower pace – and that word “pace” is what you need to keep in mind. There’s no way in hades you’re going to keep up with KTM, and there’s no way the KTM is going to get into places the TW can take you to

By trying to do both things on both bikes, someone has to give way, and I’m guessing that has to do mostly with “pace”. Slow it down, and learn the bike

The rear shock “can” be tweaked, but it’s the front you can do the most with – another subject for another day

Welcome to the board ….
    jbfla and Ken like this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

The TWs seem to have a certain speed where everything seems peachy keen. Push faster than that and things like the suspension quickly seem overtaxed. Slowing to a more moderate pace restores the harmony between bike and rider. Suspension upgrades can be done but still will not put the TW in a class with Uncle on his KTM.
    Ken likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    The TW34 you have on the rear is about as good as it gets, both on the road, and in the dirt. The stock front however, is pretty much crap, and should be changed before it kills you – we call it “the death wing” – switch it out for a Shinko 241 ASAP

The suspension (or rather the lack of it), is largely balanced out by the size of the tires. Lower the pressure on the trails to around 12 psi, and you’ll find it easier – but on the road, you need to get them back up to at least 18 psi – there is no happy “medium” if you want a softer ride on the trails

We look at this bike as more of a “mule” than the “race horse” of the KTM that you were riding with – it’ll get you along trails the KTM would balk at, but at a slower pace – and that word “pace” is what you need to keep in mind. There’s no way in hades you’re going to keep up with KTM, and there’s no way the KTM is going to get into places the TW can take you to

By trying to do both things on both bikes, someone has to give way, and I’m guessing that has to do mostly with “pace”. Slow it down, and learn the bike

The rear shock “can” be tweaked, but it’s the front you can do the most with – another subject for another day

Welcome to the board ….
    Purple,
    May I ask, just what is wrong with the stock front tire that you call it the "Death Wing"? Does it not provide stabilization, traction, what? I've been riding now for well over 50 years, mostly on the street with varying bikes. I've had three TW's. I've not done much in the off road with a TW but, might get a tad more into it with my latest purchase, an '07. We'll see. I'm 66 and 245 lbs, so, I'm not in favor of damaging these old bones, if I can help it. But, the '07 we just bought, has only 582 miles on it and had been sitting for over 5 years when we bought it. So, I'm assuming it's got the original '07 tires on it. And, as most of us know, old rubber gets hard. So, you recommend the Shinko 241? Well, I just did some preliminary searching and, both on Revzilla and Amazon, I can find no Shinko 241 series 130/80 18 tire. I can find the Shinko in the 700 series in the 130/18 though.
    Scott
    Last edited by FIRE UP; 07-07-2019 at 03:21 PM.
    Retired SDFD, 30 years,
    2004 Itasca Horizon 36GD CAT C-7 330HP
    2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing Caliente red
    2007 TW 200 "Blue Noid"
    2115 Jeep JKUR Rubicon
    2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4
    HAM, KI6OND
    Me, the wife and our killer Mini Schnauzer, "Sophie"

The Shinko 241 size is 4.00-18. I was considering the Bridgestone TW52 in 4.60-18. Shinko 241 seems to be the favorite by a lot. Seems to be a fine line riding the tw200. TW guys all say slow down, my Uncle and Cousin are telling me that I need to carry more momentum to get up hills so I don't have to spin the rear tire as much?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links