Houston and Surrounding Area Riding
Close

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Aggie97
  • 1 Post By Ken

Thread: Houston and Surrounding Area Riding

Houston and Surrounding Area Riding

So I've had my bike about 8 months now and I do love it, but I'd be lying if I said I've never gotten frustrated about feeling like I'm not doing the type of riding that I bought this for. I live south of Houston (Pearland) and besides old country roads (mostly paved), I haven't ridden much outside of my suburban home area.

I've been trying to coordinate both have some free time, and the Sam Houston National Forest OHV trails actually being open, with no such luck. This past Saturday was no different, but I had a back-up plan. I found some really cool, unpaved country roads that run through the Sam Houston National Forest, and rode those for about 3 hours. It was a blast. It reignited my whole reason for buying this bike.

I started at a trail head for the Lone Star Hiking trail near Evergreen, TX, off of John Warren Road.

Any other Houston area riders out there? We should share ride location options and experiences.

SHNF TW 2.jpg

SHNF TW 3.jpg

SHNF TW 4.jpg

SHNF TW.jpg
    Ken likes this.

Apparently I could use advice on rotating pics also.

Looks like some nice smooth riding for the TW!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by TW-Brian View Post
    Looks like some nice smooth riding for the TW!
    Most of it was pretty smooth, but a good mix of terrain, sand, rocks, dirt, mud. I would get going pretty good and have to slam on the brakes due to the road being tore up or huge pot holes that stretched across whole road.

Looks like some interesting terrain.
    Check out TrailRun (Greg) he is in the Houston area.
    With my old phone I would need to view the pictures in Preview (Mac) and then save them and orientation would stick.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

Ken
    I go out to the Sam Houston National Forest on a regular basis. I would be interested in joining you sometime. PM me for contact info. Right now I am waiting for my wheel bearings to show up to slap my bike back together. Did you ride or trailer your Tdub? I have rode the ohv trails a little, I am not really familiar with them. The ohv trails were a pain. I describe it as tree dodging. The different terrain, sand, dirt, rocks/ pebbles was fun but I like to meander and ride not LOOK OUT FOR THAT TREE. I don't currently have the ohv sticker. I know where the ranger station is to get them.
    Aggie97 likes this.
    1993 TW200 just shy of 46,000 miles

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    I go out to the Sam Houston National Forest on a regular basis. I would be interested in joining you sometime. PM me for contact info. Right now I am waiting for my wheel bearings to show up to slap my bike back together. Did you ride or trailer your Tdub? I have rode the ohv trails a little, I am not really familiar with them. The ohv trails were a pain. I describe it as tree dodging. The different terrain, sand, dirt, rocks/ pebbles was fun but I like to meander and ride not LOOK OUT FOR THAT TREE. I don't currently have the ohv sticker. I know where the ranger station is to get them.
    Hey Ken,

I'll PM you with my cell. I bought the OHV sticker at the Yamaha dealer in Webster. I hauled the TW up there in my truck bed. Way too far to ride it. Would take me forever. I will give the trails a try at some point but I enjoyed the dirt road riding just as much (I think).

Do you ride the service roads more on the east or west side of 45?

Ken
    i believe it was on the west side of 45. I'll have to see about getting my ohv tag.
    1993 TW200 just shy of 46,000 miles

My ride described above was on the east side, near or in town of Evergreen, and rode all the way up to Point Blank.

Sponosred Links