Love Those Granites
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Love Those Granites

Love Those Granites

I so love riding in granitic terrain. Recently returned from a Sierra trip in mildly glaciated area where the scouring has left characteristic scrapes, glacial polish and enormous boulders dropped when the ice retreated while leaving me some pretty pleasing scenery to play around in. Had a nice sheltered 4x4 camp next to a mirror like pond camp (TW at right edge)A98F5901-A2B0-4B51-B848-4E3E97FE1E3E_1563398200307.jpeg
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Nothing fishy about it, love the beautiful scenic variety of the eroded rocks, the lakes and meadows as well as the twisty roads that get me there.
    littletommy, Mel, bartruff and 9 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Hey Fred,
    I gotta tell ya, that scenery looks dangerously like the Rubicon Trail that we've done twice with out Jeeps. It's outstanding scenery for sure. I love it in that area.
    Scott
    Retired SDFD, 30 years,
    2004 Itasca Horizon 36GD CAT C-7 330HP
    2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing Caliente red
    2007 TW 200 "Blue Noid"
    2115 Jeep JKUR Rubicon
    2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4
    HAM, KI6OND
    Me, the wife and our killer Mini Schnauzer, "Sophie"

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Yeah, the Sierras have this wonderful belt of exposed granite extending for quite some ways that is a total joy for so many outdoor activities.
    Late season snow, high water and just astounding man made and natural erosion of jeep trails had locked me out of most of my intended destinations.
    Formerly do-able group ride routes I've done with some of you in the past seemed now effectively un-ridable. Need an exoskeleton rock crawler with 44" tires and a 4X transfer case for some sections now.[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.tw200forum.com/forum/images/smilies/sad.gif[/IMG]

Some of the boulder fields that stopped me before I got to the known challenging intense Jeep sections. A little too steep and too many bushel sized boulders one after another for me by myself.
    Last edited by Fred; 07-18-2019 at 09:44 AM.
    SanDue, Ken and mhomadness like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Some of the historic creek crossings that stopped me...more than a little too deep with high snowmelt and Reservoir releases
    SanDue, Ken, mhomadness and 1 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Fred,
    I have to ask, where did you do all this? Where did you enter and leave (if not the same place)? Do you know where the Rubicon trail begins? If not, it basically has two starting points. One is right at Georgetown and the other, is very, very close to Loon Lake. We did it twice from Loon lake. And, for us Jeepers, we exited a few miles just south of South Lake Tahoe. But, your pics are so darn close to what I remember seeing and experiencing while on the Rubicon run. Man, you got my mouth watering for that area again. Although, I've done my last run on that Rubicon, way to intense, way too non-forgiving. Both the wife and I are still, to this day, surprised that we did no body damage to either Jeep, for the two times we did it. I did break a front axle the first time but, we repaired it while there, 'cause I carried a spare. I really, really appreciate you supplying the pics of that area. To me, it's close to the top of the line for places to experience. Glad the nature Nazi's haven't got their hands on it yet for a shut-down.
    Scott
    Retired SDFD, 30 years,
    2004 Itasca Horizon 36GD CAT C-7 330HP
    2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing Caliente red
    2007 TW 200 "Blue Noid"
    2115 Jeep JKUR Rubicon
    2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4
    HAM, KI6OND
    Me, the wife and our killer Mini Schnauzer, "Sophie"

Have seen the Rubicon Trail change quite a bit over the last 50+ years and in my opinion not all the changes are not for the better.
    The above riding areas are a bit to the south. I'm getting a bit like FDR when asked what secret base Jimmy Doolittle's B-24s took off from to bomb Tokyo. Not wishing to reveal the Navy's Yorktown class CV-8 Hornet launched the planes Roosevelt instead said the secret base was in Shangri-la. So I'll just say I was riding in Shangri-la.
    It is probably too late to slow down the inevitable ongoing over-use and subsequent over-management of some of my favorite areas but still I'ld rather see folks concentrate on already worn-out Rubicon with it's popularity, traffic, permits, closures, Sheriff patrols, Jamborees, etc.
    Last edited by Fred; 07-19-2019 at 09:11 AM.
    littletommy, Xracer, Ken and 2 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Enough rant....how about some more pretty scenery from that TW ride?
    Mel, Ken, mhomadness and 3 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Ken
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Yeah, the Sierras have this wonderful belt of exposed granite extending for quite some ways that is a total joy for so many outdoor activities.
    Late season snow, high water and just astounding man made and natural erosion of jeep trails had locked me out of most of my intended destinations.
    Formerly do-able group ride routes I've done with some of you in the past seemed now effectively un-ridable. Need an exoskeleton rock crawler with 44" tires and a 4X transfer case for some sections now.[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.tw200forum.com/forum/images/smilies/sad.gif[/IMG]

Some of the boulder fields that stopped me before I got to the known challenging intense Jeep sections. A little too steep and too many bushel sized boulders one after another for me by myself.
    I think you need to add a trials bike to your stable Fred then you can hop rock to rock.
    1993 TW200 just over 46,000 miles

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    I think you need to add a trials bike to your stable Fred then you can hop rock to rock.
    HA! He does that already m,
    Ken likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links