July Rid'in in The Pines
Close

Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By stagewex
  • 1 Post By stagewex

Thread: July Rid'in in The Pines

July Rid'in in The Pines

Last weekend was the annual Ramapo 500 a favorite mid-Summer road trip for me. But I have been less than enthusiastic about any long term road trips. Maybe other than local stuff I'm close to hanging-up multiple day rides like that. I was only going to be able to do one of the 2 days anyway so decided with a friend to just get our dual/dirt bikes and head down to the Jersey Pines. Been riding in the Adirondacks the last month and to tell the truth needed something more challenging. Well, we got it and more. Ironically the 2 falls I took were not from sand, or deep sand (did I mention sand), or mud, dirt or water. One was hitting a fresh sapling branch on its side where the bark came off... super slippery. The other was a huge log that came up on me too fast. Or maybe it was me going too fast? Either way I hit the brakes and then kind just fell over at 0 miles per hour.

I have been riding the TW a lot but I've found that is a much better commuter for me as well as an emergency or buddy bike. So the old 28 year old XR250L is now my designated off-roader. Other than my love for the TW there is no comparison in the ride between the two of them.

So one XR250, One XT255, 90 degrees but cooler in the woods under the trees, 5 hours of riding, 3 camera shoot, 3.5 hours of footage tailed down to 4 minutes and 10 seconds of video.
    Enjoy & turn your sound up high:

Errtu, Xracer, Fred and 1 others like this.
    2008 Vespa 150"S" (Elec & Kick Start)
    2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
    2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
    1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
    1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
    1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)
    1969 BMW r60/2, US Model (Kick Start Only)

Looks like fun but did you forget your gloves?

Fun, wet trails and sand to play on!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Nice image stabilization on the lower left side camera mount. How is this accomplished? Mount? Editing software?
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by stagewex View Post
    Last weekend was the annual Ramapo 500 a favorite mid-Summer road trip for me. But I have been less than enthusiastic about any long term road trips. Maybe other than local stuff I'm close to hanging-up multiple day rides like that. I was only going to be able to do one of the 2 days anyway so decided with a friend to just get our dual/dirt bikes and head down to the Jersey Pines. Been riding in the Adirondacks the last month and to tell the truth needed something more challenging. Well, we got it and more. Ironically the 2 falls I took were not from sand, or deep sand (did I mention sand), or mud, dirt or water. One was hitting a fresh sapling branch on its side where the bark came off... super slippery. The other was a huge log that came up on me too fast. Or maybe it was me going too fast? Either way I hit the brakes and then kind just fell over at 0 miles per hour.

I have been riding the TW a lot but I've found that is a much better commuter for me as well as an emergency or buddy bike. So the old 28 year old XR250L is now my designated off-roader. Other than my love for the TW there is no comparison in the ride between the two of them.

So one XR250, One XT255, 90 degrees but cooler in the woods under the trees, 5 hours of riding, 3 camera shoot, 3.5 hours of footage tailed down to 4 minutes and 10 seconds of video.
    Enjoy & turn your sound up high:

I hate it when a slippery branch or log laying across the road stare you down and make you fall and roll up into the fetal position (and start to cry maybe, does me!).

I's wait'in fer the alligators to pop out of the water when you were riding through the swamp...or puddles haha. Does the water ever drain off anymore? Some of those water filled sections of road look like there converted to canals now. Probably refreshing to ride in the water on a hot day.

Thanks for sharing, the ride looked like a blast!

P.S. I too like the different camera locations. I'm too lazy to do that in my video's anymore.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

I can usually get 6 to 8 different shots out of my three (3) GoPro Sessions. But I never really had much time to accomplish that as we really were riding fast, only stopping once when I fell that first time because my engine flooded. The second time it was fall, pick-up, start riding again.

I started the ride wearing some mesh gloves but it was so hot and I was setting waypoints on my GPS so many times while riding that taking them off and on so many times, I just didn't bother putting them on eventually. Besides I have some pretty protective Tusk hand guards and everything I can or could fall on was either sand or water. If it was a tree... well, that's another story.

The underwater and front tire camera was hooked onto the front crash plate. If you are no familiarizer with the "sessions" they are the tiny cube-shaped GoPro's that at first went for $300.00 each. No one was buying them for that amount so they dropped the price to about $150.00. The camera and the battery are one, combined. I bought mine re-fubished on eBay for about $90.00 each. They are some of the most durable cameras I've ever owned and really keep ya from buying any and all of GoPro's other overpriced devices. You can abuse the shit out of these. Take'um home and wash them with dish soap before you open them up to grab the tiny media card.

The quick on and off and repositioning works because I've used Ram Mount adapters (like their "claw) rather than the crappy and expensive stuff from GoPro.

These little cameras are point & shoot, nothing fancy, the trick is shooting cam to cam... don't just let them run or you are making editing a huge task for yourself. Battery life can be up to 5 hours on these little cams. I'd never buy one new but there are tons out there used or refurbed. I think one of their best products for cheap.

The Pines are haunted. Sometimes you are riding in what would be considered a desert and then all of a sudden you'll have miles and miles of water holes and Amazon Water Forest conditions. The earth there can and will take in only so much water at a time. So even riding the same track can sometimes be completely different from one day to another... rain or not. So many different environments in one place. Never boring, that's for sure.
    Last edited by stagewex; 07-25-2019 at 12:45 PM.
    admiral likes this.
    2008 Vespa 150"S" (Elec & Kick Start)
    2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
    2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
    1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
    1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
    1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)
    1969 BMW r60/2, US Model (Kick Start Only)

Looks like fun! Thanks for sharing.

Sponosred Links