A day in the life ....
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: A day in the life ....

A day in the life ....

Had a friend over this week, so we went for a meander across the Island - him on the TW225, while I kept to the TW200 this time

We covered 70 miles in 5 hours, on a nice sunny day, as we explored the various beaches, a café, and a pub — but I’ll let the pictures tell the tale …..

pic one.jpg

First stop, Church Bay, and yes, that is my “happy face”

pic two.jpg.. - .. pic three.jpg.. - .. pic four.jpg

View from an old stone bridge

pic six.jpg - pic seven.jpg

“Riding motorcycles on any of Anglesey’s beaches is strictly forbidden” — (it sez ‘ere)

pic eight.jpg

Interesting bit of “track”. What you can’t see (and nor could we), is the two ruts down either side, a foot lower than the center. This meant that when the bike gets “grabbed” by the undergrowth and pulled off course, you had no idea of where your foot was actually going to find the ground — or indeed “if”. We baled out after 200 yards and turned back. The undergrowth alone would have stopped a Land Rover, and no-one needs a broken ankle in that lot

pic five.jpg

So we retired to a pub “with a view”

I often think that with a length of rope, a support jeep, a couple of machetes and chopper cover, you can go almost anywhere on the Island

Ah well — there’s always another day …..
    buellzebub, Ken, SanDue and 10 others like this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

That looks to be a wonder full place to live. Is it ok if a few Yanks invade?
    littletommy likes this.

Don't see why not - after all "what goes around comes around" .......
    WECSOG likes this.

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Sure doesn't look like Moab.
    Purple likes this.
    Me and my white mule

"Island"
    I give up, WHAT island, where?
    Scott
    Retired SDFD, 30 years,
    2004 Itasca Horizon 36GD CAT C-7 330HP
    2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing Caliente red
    2007 TW 200 "Blue Noid"
    2115 Jeep JKUR Rubicon
    2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4
    HAM, KI6OND
    Me, the wife and our killer Mini Schnauzer, "Sophie"

The Island of Angelsey - North Wales - UK

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglesey

As White Mule suggests - it sure 'aint Moab - lol ......
    Fred likes this.

- Hidden Content

Approximately 35 miles by 20, don’t let the “gentle rolling scenery” fool you. Many of the beaches have quicksand that can get you well and truly stuck if you’re not careful, and a welcoming incoming tide that will finish the job off (even if you’re not stuck) – it keeps the lifeboats busy

Inland, many of the roads are single track, grass growing down the middle – and as long as you can accept that, and the “pace of life” here, you’ll be fine. That “pace” means that you know you will be sharing that single track road with a variety of tractors and transit vans, and randomly barrelling around blind bends is going to get you a face full real quick

Add stray sheep and cattle into the mix, and you soon learn that it’s not about speed on Anglesey. Then, just for added interest, we have “the tourists”. They come from miles around to enjoy our “uncluttered roads”, towing caravans, or overtaking on blind bends – you can imagine the chaos during public holidays (when we tend to stay in)

I was born and bred in London, so I understand “chaos”, and the reasons for it. In London, it’s overcrowding, and Calcutta driving tests. On Anglesey, it’s all about understanding the Island. When you live here, it becomes second nature, when you’re just visiting, walking a half mile out to sea when the tide is out is cool – until the tide comes back in, and you find yourself still a quarter mile out

There was an incident recently of someone taking a horse onto the beach. Once the horse was up to its chest in quicksand, the lifeboat was called out. The horse thought “bugger this” and managed to haul itself out. But the lesson here is “don’t be complacent”

The Island is idyllic, but even so, you need to be aware of the dangers, and respect them. This is why we don’t go riding across the beach for miles, because while you’re likely to get picked up by the lifeboat, they’re not so hot on “vehicle recovery” (unless it floats)

On the sand dunes, and that bit of “rough” we encountered, there also a risk of snakes (Adders/Vipers) at this time of the year. Sure, they’re not rattlers, but if one of those sinks its fangs into the back of your leg, it’s not my idea of “fun”

At the end of the day, it’s a nice place to live, drive and ride- but disrespect it at your peril ……
    jbfla, Fred, SanDue and 5 others like this.

- Hidden Content

Sounds like a great place to kick back and read a good book.
    WECSOG likes this.

Where's your sense of adventure - lol

Angelsey is "my jungle", just as Moab is to others - just a bit "different" is all .....
    TW-Brian and TomT like this.

- Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    Where's your sense of adventure - lol

Angelsey is "my jungle", just as Moab is to others - just a bit "different" is all .....
    I surely thank you for taking the time to orient all of us about the wonders, terrain and characteristics of your "island". It does sound quite inviting. We often get caught up in the hustle/bustle of life in our crowded life styles and surroundings. But, that place seems, by your description, something that's at a much slower pace and a very reduced chaotic existence. NICE!
    Scott
    Ken and Purple like this.
    Retired SDFD, 30 years,
    2004 Itasca Horizon 36GD CAT C-7 330HP
    2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing Caliente red
    2007 TW 200 "Blue Noid"
    2115 Jeep JKUR Rubicon
    2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4
    HAM, KI6OND
    Me, the wife and our killer Mini Schnauzer, "Sophie"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links