• 1 Post By Fred
  • 1 Post By Fred
  • 1 Post By Fred
  • 1 Post By FIRE UP
  • 2 Post By Fred
  • 4 Post By Fred

Thread: Love Those Rhyolites

Love Those Rhyolites

Last edited by Fred; 07-19-2019 at 10:09 PM.
    SanDue, Allanb, admiral and 6 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

I was collecting a bouquet for my wife after turning around on a single track once it got a little sketchy for solo play. Along came guy on a Honda XR350 packing a chainsaw. He let me know he had just finished clearing downfalls on the trail, then he saw my flowers. Probably wondered what kind of goof ball is out on the trail on a Betty Boop cartoon bike picking flowers. Nice place
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Love those Fred posts! I don't know most of my wildflowers - but the orange one you have there is an Indian Paintbrush.
    Allanb likes this.
    1987 Yamaha TW200

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Hey Fred,
    I figured out where you were on the "Granites" thread. Ultra nice area. Now, as for where you are now, well, the dates for your postings aren't far apart so, I figure you're not all that far from where you were in the Granites thread. Maybe a bit lower in altitude. Man, you're having a ball. I wish I was there with you. I'm retired and can't find that kind of time for that kind of fun. Does your wife ride? Are you traveling and toting the TW along on a camper or what? I just acquired a Versa Hauler for the back of our Motor home to carry the Blue Noid, our '07 TW. And, we're gonna tow the Jeep too. May I also ask, is that an aftermarket seat on your bike? It looks like it could be. If so, what are the specs, soft, firm, what? It sounds like you ride a lot so, a good (better) seat would definitely be mandatory, at least for me. Mine's a brick. Anyway, keep on having fun, it sure looks like you are. I envy the heck out of you Partner.
    Scott
    Fred and Allanb like this.
    Retired SDFD, 30 years,
    2004 Itasca Horizon 36GD CAT C-7 330HP
    2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing Caliente red
    2007 TW 200 "Blue Noid"
    2115 Jeep JKUR Rubicon
    2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4
    HAM, KI6OND
    Me, the wife and our killer Mini Schnauzer, "Sophie"

Clever fellow FIRE UP! I was actually scouting for another possible group ride around various alpine lakes but the off-roading has become quite challenging. However road-riding around there still features the best, most varied and scenic canyon carving I have ever seen.
    Unfortunately my wife does not ride so I often do solo camp & rides using a 4x4 van as a base camp hauling a TW on a hydraulic MotoJack reciever hitch carrier.
    Many understandably really like their RVs with all the nice amenities but they usually can not access the pretty backcountry I favor. Like my real estate friends say it's location, location, location. Plus with all the competition for limited official campsites often means the hard to access primitive sites are the ones available. I do not enjoy the formal campground experience.

Both my TWs are equipped with the Seat Concepts kit that while not perfect I feel to be a big improvement in comfort. However I am rarely in the saddle for more than an hour straight before finding something entertaining to stop and explore, plus I stand up frequently while riding to ventilate and improve the angle of the dangle.
    I would say the Seat Concepts would be a good investment for a turn-key improvement in seating comfort. Otherwise one can customize one's seat with different foam and a new cover if necessary. I did this initially. Youtube has nice instructional videos on inletting a gel-cell foam insert into an existing seat foam for a home crafted fifty dollar option.
    Allanb likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Anyways not organizing a Ebbetts Pass Group Ride again, too many inexperienced mountain drivers on the weekend. Three times I would come up on a car only to have them come to complete stop in middle of a blind corner, roll down their window and daintily wave me to pass. Now I do not like trusting these folks with my safety when I cannot see if there is any oncoming traffic. Screen Shot 2019-07-21 at 9.20.54 AM.png
    Allanb likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Anyways will soon be heading up into this nearby mountain range with a group of bikes, Jeeps, guns and dogs next weekend with a cleaner camera lens so hopefully will get quality video to share. Hope everyone else can get out and enjoy some riding too.
    Allanb likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Hey Fred,
    Thanks for acknowledging me here. As stated, we've been to the Rubicon twice and, while fun, it was also seriously challenging for the total length which was around 26 miles. We camped at Buck Island lake. As I understand it, you can't do that anymore. Rules....Grrrr. Anyway, yes, CAGERS, you can't get away from them, at least on the pavement for the most part. It seems a good lot of them are completely clueless. Makes you wonder sometimes, where'd the get their drivers license, Cracker Jack box? Oh well, you're having a great time. Yes, we're of the "motorhome" crowd and, yes, we often can't camp where "I'd" like to due to the fact that, diesel pusher coaches don't play well off roading in the wilderness. But, the wife has her comforts and is happy. And you know the old saying: "A happy wife, a happy life"...
    Scott
    Allanb likes this.
    Retired SDFD, 30 years,
    2004 Itasca Horizon 36GD CAT C-7 330HP
    2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing Caliente red
    2007 TW 200 "Blue Noid"
    2115 Jeep JKUR Rubicon
    2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4
    HAM, KI6OND
    Me, the wife and our killer Mini Schnauzer, "Sophie"

So heading back again. Last time van’s brake caliper shed a bolt so camp was where I could get off road. Nice sunset after a rain squall.
    admiral and Allanb like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Rode ~20 miles out of the hills to nearest town to seek a replacement bolt but no such luck. So I went for a hot spring soak, then back to my impromptu camp and beyond. Rain pinned me under a pine for a while. Several dead end spur roads end in deeper canyons with aspen groves that are so nice in the fall
    Mel, FIRE UP, admiral and 1 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Sponosred Links