TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Ride Fast Shoot Straight Group Ride

21K views 220 replies 31 participants last post by  Donzo 
#1 · (Edited)
The dates will be Oct. 25th 26th, 27th, and 28th. Arrive on the 25th. Ride the 26th and 27th. Depart on the 28th. Rain cancels! The river we camped next to last year will be a lake this year. Having the ride in late October assures us plenty of campsites. They don't accept reservations but instead first come first served. The cost is twenty dollars per night. The campsites have fresh water, picnic tables, fire rings, bear proof food boxes and pit toilets. Last year we had the campground to ourselves. We will be using bananachucks again this year as a bear attractant. We all feel safer knowing George will probably go first being in a tent. With any luck at all George won't be eaten until Sunday night. We will provide breakfasts and dinners. Bring your own beverages and lunches and ammunition. The ride will be easy miles of logging roads. Bring your favorite target. We're bringing a pumpkin, a bigger one this year!

Be sure to bring your hearing protection! "Say what"? Make sure to bring your hearing protection! "What"?

The Bear says-------"Me like bananas. Me like banana slices, banana chips and bananas whole. Me favorite is Bananachucks".

DIRECTIONS------- 19 miles north of Redding, Ca. on I-5
Exit 698 Gilman Rd./ Salt Creek Rd.
Gilman Rd. 17miles to McCloud River Bridge.
Cross bridge and turn Right into campground.

Dirts a Flyen SanDue

Attachments

See less See more
#200 ·
I am sorry Mike couldn't make it as well. Looks like a good time was had by all in spite of the overeating!:D

I sure have enjoyed the pictures, videos and ride reports. Thanks for the time and effort it takes to edit and post all these.

Happy for you all, from Florida,
Marty

#202 ·
Gee-dang it. We missed out. :( Things and places to go/ride will improve when Mrs. Admiral retires.

#203 ·
It was another fun filled second day. Fueled up by Sue's breakfast we hit the trail beginning across the river from camp. Video covers a bit of the next twisty 25 miles or so to the freeway. Burn zones, nice vistas, jammed chains, wind blown debris and the occasional downed tree. Entertaining cruise but we never do find the ferry the road was named after. My apologies to bananchunks for no mention of his Honda in the title.

#205 ·
Just call me "Blinky"! One would think I'ld remember to turn off my turn signals what with the repeater LEDs blinking on the inside of the hand guards. Main LED turn signal strips I built into the exterior of hand guards with two chips on each inside to hopefully remind me. Eventually works. Aftermarket acoustic beeper next to ignition key is a better reminder but need it's ground wire re-soldered.

#206 · (Edited)
Well....

I really missed out on this one.
Been away from the forum for awhile (doing retirement stuff) and didn't even know about this/these RFSS annual gatherings.

What draws me...
... besides a group of TW riders gathering, camping, riding and shooting?

- I went thru Grade school in Anderson, leaving in late 60's for high school and college in Oregon.
- My Mother, Brother, Sister and several steps of relatives still live in Anderson.
- My Grandfather = First steam shovel of dirt from Shasta Dam diversion Canal, First Roads Commissioner for Shasta County (helped design/build Hwy 36), Shasta County Fairgrounds commissioner for several years.
- I had no idea there were a couple of riding, camping, shooting (and fishing) TW riders from Anderson (area).
- I love going back to that area to ride and camp, but so seldom get to do it.

I sure will do anything I can to make next years event!

I'll also have to ping SanDue next time I head that way (with the TW) to meet & ride.

I was hoping to get up to fish Lewiston and Trinity River in late October but, as mentioned at the beginning, I just retired and am still busy doing all that that entails, and more.
I hope to have all these (retirement/downsizing) tasks done thru the winter to open up 2020 and beyond to adventuring!

Oh, and yeah, looks like you guys had a good time of it on the McCloud River arm of Shasta Lake!

#208 ·
Mike, I got the badges and other souvenirs from "Boontville". Great job Mr. BadgeMaster!
The history book/dictionary was a fun read.

Thanks very much,
Marty

#210 ·
Duh! After three months I discover I have Loose Lead. Not to worry, it's not contagious. During the last Ride and Shoot our 22 cal. semi-automatic rifle kept jamming. I neglected to clean the gun from the year before and concluded that to be the reason. Not so. After meticulous cleaning and inspection the gun continued to jam with every shot. Frustrating. So I walked away with a few 22 bullets in my pocket that didn't find their way back to the box. I would transfer the bullets from one pair of pants to another knowing the bullets and the bullet box will again intersect in time. So, one day I was fiddling with the bullets in my pocket and noticed the bullets were loose. I could wiggle the bullets in their casing. I headed directly to the box of 22 cal. bullets and discover over 1000 loose bullets. Every bullet was loose and worthless. The bullets were bouncing around in a box on the back of the Tw for approximately 300 miles of dirt roads and trails. I don't know what else to do but dump them on the campfire at the next ride and shoot. Dirts a Flyen SanDue :rolleyes::)

#215 ·
OK Joe, let's get serious...When & where could we get together again?
Could be just someplace with some twisty asphalt...
Landscape Rock

...we could ride into Shelter Cove, dip the tires in the Pacific and then get clam chowder overlooking the bay. Takes what seems like a thousand curves to get there.
Road Geological phenomenon Water resources Thoroughfare Mountain pass

Then go get tires muddy heading on the Ursal Beach Road along the Lost Coast.
Coast Nature Natural landscape Shore Mountain

Not if it is too muddy though...
Trail Dirt road Natural environment Nature reserve Road

#216 ·
fred! i think a "Gimme Shelter Run!" is exactly what we need. April should be plenty thick with franciscan melange/ blue goo slime. :)

#217 ·
Some clarification seems to be in order concerning Joemama's underpants. There are underpants, which in Joemama's case have hearts and unicorns on them, or you have under your pants. Sporting the knee protection under your pants prevents them from moving out of adjustment. I suppose you could say Joemama and I are well adjusted. Dirts a Flyen SanDue :rolleyes::)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.