Like Tree13Likes
  • 8 Post By Ryder
  • 1 Post By admiral
  • 1 Post By tylermoney
  • 1 Post By Fred
  • 2 Post By NumberThree

Thread: First Off Road Ride - logged about 60 miles

First Off Road Ride - logged about 60 miles

Took my TW off road for the first time over the weekend (I've only had it about a month). My daughter and I went to Mountain Ridge ATV Park in Central City, PA with some friends. I caught a little video of the ride. The camera angle wasn't great and sun/dust combination didn't help with the footage. As such, I just created a short collection of clips using the GoPro Quik editor. I may try another video at some point in the future.

I also made a couple observations. I welcome your thoughts on these.

1. On a few occasions, I felt what seemed like a loss of power. My first thought was tire scrub/slip caused by dry loose ground, bouncing, etc. Then it wondered if this was a product of the carb being jetted too lean. It felt more like power loss than tire slip for sure.

2. After a break, I jumped on the bike, pulled the clutch in, and hit the start button...to my surprise the bike lurched forward. It was in gear, but I was surprised this happened with the clutch in. Maybe I need to make an adjustment there?

3. The suspension was surprisingly okay. Although I did find the bottom on several occasions, it wasn't near as rough overall as I expected. I can definitely see the benefit of upgrading the springs and may explore that at a future date.

4. The power was okay as well. I was a little worried because the previous owner changed to a higher gear ratio for on road riding. I was a bit worried about the TW's ability to pull up hill. Overall, it did fine. I did get stopped on a fairly steep spot of a hill when I hit some rocks and my boots bumped the bike into neutral. I tried several times to get restarted and was really struggling with the lose of traction and power to get me going from a cold stop. Thankful a more experienced dirt biker met me on the hill and got the bike to the top. Outside of that, I had no problems...of course, I avoid steep hills the rest of the day.

Overall, I had a blast on the TW. Definitely looking forward to doing it again.
    2018 TW200 - Acerbis Rally Pro X-Strong Handguards, K&S mini-stalk turn signal, heavy duty skid plate, rear rack, oversized mirrors, oversized foot pegs, and extra helmet lock.

Awesome. Fun times ahead I'm sure!
    jtomelliott49 likes this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Fun fun times.

The issue you experienced with the bike lurching forward is fairly normal. I reached out regarding the same thing when I first got mine. It's very common, though normally when the engine has been warmed up/used, it's less likely to happen. Just have to kind of pull the clutch in and move the bike forward/back a few times, or just give it gas and go!

I'm about to adjust my gearing to 15x50 from 14x50 ... roughly a 7% difference in torque/speed (increase in speed % slightly). It shouldn't really make a difference in going up since the TW has that giant tire! What is your gearing set to?

So, the TWs come from the factory/dealer running lean, so it's definitely possible that if you're going up in elevation, you're experiencing a loss of power. I adjusted my main just from stock. I'm going to be adjusting my pilot jet as well, and the factory setting for the air/fuel mixture screw is generally low as well. Recommendation is 2.5ish turns, and most come from factory with closer to 1.5ish I believe.

Glad you had a good time on your first off-road outing. I am new to off-roading as well, and have had a blast learning and riding on dirt/rock trails so far!
    2019 Yamaha TW200
    - DGv2 Slip On
    - Custom Oil Cooler
    - Manracks Seat Rack
    - Ricochet Skid Plate
    - Oversizzed Footpegs
    - Cycra ProBend Handguards

1973 Yamaha RD350
    - In pieces in my garage Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Nice little video. These are great bikes to get out and have fun with family and friends. Going again next weekend?
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

check your clutch spring down on the left side...most of them are not properly engaged, even fresh from a dealer....
    jtomelliott49 and socalnative like this.

I'd definitely suggest riding it a few more times before buying all kinds of things you will read about.
    Nice video!

Sponosred Links