Help plan my CO adventure!
Close

Alright, so my buddy is coming up to Denver in his Wrangler. While the vehicle is stock, he is a very astute off-roading with great technical skill. I have been using Small's thread (https://tw200forum.com/index.php?/top...colorado-trip/) for motivation and plan to visit a few of the places on it. So, here is the scoop. We are in Denver and have one WHOLE week to go anywhere our hearts desire. My TW is being trailered to trails, so the route to is no problem. I plan to use this thread for my pictures after the adventure is done, so even if you don't reply now, be sure to check back in 2 weeks!

Kyle
    Gone - 2006 TW200
    Gone - 2014 CB1100
    2015 WR250R - Bored, stroked
    Gone - 2000 Trans Am
    Stolen - 2007 Trailblazer SS
    2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
    1977 Steyr-Puch Pinzgauer 710M

2 Timothy 1:7

Hey, whats not to like about Colorado. Stay off the freeways, stop before dark and ride away. Poudre Canyon from Ft. Collins (whether you take the paved road in the canyon or the backroads through Rist Canyon and the myriad of forest roads (many recently burned) is your choice. The Never Summer area, and innumerable areas to the SW of Denver are all logicals depending on where you want to go. Go for it. Tom
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

Here is the link with many pages and great pictures. They do a great ride report and I stole most of inspiration from them. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612677

My favorites were Imogene pass from Ouray "we did Yankee boy basin also which is off of Imogene pass" to Telluride then headed to Ophir and did Ophir pass back toward Silverton. That takes up most of a day. Engineer pass to lake city then back on Cinnamon Pass was hard to beat. The guys that do the BDR routes even said those two routes was the best section of any of the BDR routes that they have done. You can youtube Utah, Colorado, Washington BDR and see their videos. Black canyon 92 off of 50 was really neat. You can drive down to the botom of the canyon. There are some ohv areas north of Gunnison. Talyor park i think? The Crested Butte area is also awesome. Those two areas "silverton/Ouray and Crested Butte" are the best ive seen in Colorado. Kebler pass NW out of Crested Butte was nice. One of the biggest groups of Aspen trees around. There were marked trails off of it but we didnt check them out. Head NE from Crested Butte to Mount Crested Butte and take the dirt road North towards Gothic. Thats one of the most scenic valleys we seen. I believe it goes all the way to Marble. It was closed about half way up because of snow so we didnt get to check it out.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Alot of snow up high

Most of those trails i just posted will be 12' deep of snow right now i think most of them are only open from about July 4th - early-mid september.

Thanks everyone for the tips!! I keep getting more and more excited! Again, making proactive use of the search feature, I was motivated further by this thread My linkhttp://imgur.com/gallery/VCURdbB to get snow chains! Oreilly had them for $40. I won't say no to that, nice to have as backup.
    Gone - 2006 TW200
    Gone - 2014 CB1100
    2015 WR250R - Bored, stroked
    Gone - 2000 Trans Am
    Stolen - 2007 Trailblazer SS
    2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
    1977 Steyr-Puch Pinzgauer 710M

2 Timothy 1:7

Ah yes, Colorado!!!!!! I've been going to Colorado for many years. My inlaws lived there for over 25 yrs, until just recently moving back to Michigan.

My suggestions are all paved roads, as I have never really hit any trails while there. I rode my father inlaws BMW, so I had to stick with paved roads.

There are so many cool places in Colorado, but I will have to say that one of my all time favorites, is the drive up Mt. Evans! 14,260 ft above sea level! I'm told that it's the highest paved road in the world. Either way, it is amazing when you get up there. Depending on the time of year, you will not be able to make it to the summit because of snow, and the road being closed. It will open up sometime in June, depending on the snow. But in July, you can get up there. It's a nice paved road, but curvy! Cold up there too! We started out at the bottom in 80 degree weather, and when we reached the summit, it was a balmy 32!

Another is Rocky Mt. National Park. Start out in Fort Collins like Peruano suggested, and head up the Poudre Canyon to Estes Park. The north entrance to Rocky Mt. National Park is in Estes Park. That would be a great ride thru that park on a bike! I've only done that in a vehicle, but it's cool!

Again, all my ideas are on pavement. There are gravel roads and trails off these roads though.

Have a great time man! I sure do Love that state!

Also, as others here have already mentioned. Great places to ride and see all over that state.
    Swamp

2006 TW200

Sponosred Links