Mr.Gizmo's Downhill Singletrackery
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Mr.Gizmo's Downhill Singletrackery

Mr.Gizmo's Downhill Singletrackery

Took the Mr.Gizmo TW out for a ride , it is really a nice running bike with a healthy stock motor and Gerry's custom long travel suspension. So nice in the rough!
    Anyways after a many a mile ending at a fire tower I was a bit warm so headed for a cool off at one of the lakes in the distance.
    Following video shows some of a mighty fine single track that got me there. Nothing special, just smooth scenic cruising with the rear tire trying to pass me on one steeper loose section. Grin City!
    jtstdub, elime, Rider21 and 7 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    ........... it is really a nice running bike with a healthy stock motor......
    Don't worry! We can fix that!

You have inspired me. I may go for a TW ride this afternoon.
    Fred likes this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Screen Shot 2019-08-23 at 7.57.22 AM.png
    This was really a fun simple ride conclusion. Day began with a call from Adam-in-Nevada "Hey, I'm out riding in the mountains, come join me!" so off I went on an unplanned ride.
    I had officiated at his wedding in Lake Tahoe Sunday and he had a few hours available to ride while some out-of-ton wedding guests were touring Virginia City. My video begins after he had to head back into town.

Wedding day began with a bunch of normal chores to finish in limited time. so I was hustling. I was just completing the repair of a shop vac in my basement when was startled by a 3 foot snake slithering along more scared than I. What to do, how to catch snake before wife has a heart attack? "Hey, let's test this shop vac!" Sure enough I sucked that sucker up. Guess shop vacs can have many a use. Snake was halfway inhaled before he had his "Wait a minute!" moment and decided he wanted no part of this...wiggle & struggle time. With vacuum running I went outside, switched it off and let the 'lil viper go. Country living is rarely boring!

Anyways mention this because once at the lake I couldn't help but recall I had taken Admiral & Mrs.Admiral from the fire tower to that lake a few years before when water level was 40 feet lower. Back then we were riding in the same place but only on the lake bottom in 2 foot tall grass until Mrs. Admiral came across a snake and it was time to go. Couldn't have Lori scaring the local wildlife. The ladies just don't seem to appreciate snakes for some reason.
    Last edited by Fred; 08-23-2019 at 11:43 AM.
    TomT likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Love the Sierra high country! My stomping grounds. Thanks for sharing.

Which fire tower is that?....Have you been up to the top of the Sierra Butte's lookout?
    2004 TW200, low miles (not enough riding).
    Other 2 wheel toys; many bicycles and a honda CT90.

That de-commisioned tower was a local un-improved one overlooking my home. Another local one, Sardine Peak, has been rehabilitated and converted to free overnight lodging, really impressive. Forest Service gives you a key for exclusive use of a gated mountain top. Great place for full moon or meteor shower viewing....stove, twin beds, lights, clean amenities, 360 degree view either through windows or the surrounding deck. Sometimes the government does things right and returns public assets for public use.

Sierra Buttes is another hour and half away. Rather dramatic setting but also very popular. About 250 stairs to the top after a half mile hike so wear your Forma Adventure boots! Good TW riding destination within a good riding region, have led a group ride there last year.
    Sierra-Buttes-Fire-Outlook-38.jpgbuttes2.jpeg
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Beautiful!!
    "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
    - Hunter S. Thompson

“It’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

And though a mountain may rise up and smack the livin' shit outta me,
    and wad up my bike somethin' awful...
    Still, I rise!
    (With apologies to Maya Angelou)

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

Gotta love that tower, not for the faint at heart. Puts a little wobble in my walk every time.

I'm in the Nevada county area, let me know if you want to put together a ride in that area one of these days. I've been mountain biking the area for years and know of some hidden treasures.
    2004 TW200, low miles (not enough riding).
    Other 2 wheel toys; many bicycles and a honda CT90.

I've chickened out at dropping into Snake Lake from the ridge line between it and Gold Lake since I was unsure I could climb out again. Question: Is the other way to Snake Lake doable for out TWs, from the south, Little Deer Lake and Butcher Ranch direction?

On the bikes I like the 4100 foot accent from Sierra City down on the river to the fire lookout although the last 500 feet or so of elevation gain is done on foot if you follow the rules.
    Some friends are contemplating another group ride and this area is a possible repeat destination.

Where else will they have motorcycle welcoming signs that let you motor along a section of the Pacific Crest Trail?
    Last edited by Fred; 08-23-2019 at 02:12 PM.
    elime, ejfranz, Willys714 and 1 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Took the Mr.Gizmo TW out for a ride , it is really a nice running bike with a healthy stock motor and Gerry's custom long travel suspension. So nice in the rough!
    Anyways after a many a mile ending at a fire tower I was a bit warm so headed for a cool off at one of the lakes in the distance.
    Following video shows some of a mighty fine single track that got me there. Nothing special, just smooth scenic cruising with the rear tire trying to pass me on one steeper loose section. Grin City!
    "Singletrackery", I love it.

Just this past week I rode to a lookout. My descent down the mountain wasn't as entertaining but still fun. Looks like this trail gets a fair bit of usage or the lack of moisture makes it look that way (loose dirt). Sure looks fun.
    ejfranz likes this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

How about a bit more singletrackery aboard the HMS Gizmo Admiral? Also shot along the ridge line extension that holds Sierra Buttes fire tower.

Region's riding is quite varied. Next fire tower to the north is the classic variety manned by company-deprived guy who invites you up to spend an hour or more chatting. Good camping, lots of lakes & good fishing. Let's go!
    admiral likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links