Like Tree15Likes
  • 5 Post By Fred
  • 2 Post By elime
  • 4 Post By admiral
  • 1 Post By stagewex
  • 3 Post By Fred

Thread: Friday Night Follies -Trail Riding 'till Midnight

Friday Night Follies -Trail Riding 'till Midnight

Another memorable evening ride with Adam-in-Nevada. Began @ 6:30pm and didn't wander home until 12:15 or so. Admittedly we talked as much as we rode, Adam is still riding the wave of enthusiasm from his wedding last weekend (bride is out of town on business trip thus no honeymoon...I just have to get him back in one piece).
    This night riding is very satisfying. Strong LED lighting makes a difference...one can see the difference as I play with hi & lo beams as well as some nicely focused long range spot lights while next to Adam's yellow-ish conventional OEM halogen bulb. Currently they are aimed downwards for off-road work and occasionally singing the hair off of small furry animals.
    However I can reach forward on the fly and raise the spots so that they illuminate a hundred yards or more further down the road . I think this somewhat belies the assertion by some that long range LEDs are a myth. Video doesn't really portray the actual brightness, for example the LED's Lo-beam approaches the output of the stock H4 bulb.

The lumpy eroded two-tracks can get a little tiring though. The Mr.Gizmo bike's longer suspension throw seems more comfortable and safer in the rocks but I wanted to test the recently repaired Betty Boop. The shadows cast exaggerate things a bit but basically run-off from last few winters have significantly eroded the majority of un-paved roads regionally.
    Last edited by Fred; 08-24-2019 at 10:44 PM.
    Mel, elime, admiral and 2 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

I like riding after it gets dark but around here it is on asphalt and the speeds are greater and there are a lot of automobiles sharing the road. Even in the hills, riding 40 or 50 mph if a deer decides to cross the road at the wrong time.......it would take all the fun out of it.

Congrats to Adam.
    admiral and jtomelliott49 like this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Another memorable evening ride with Adam-in-Nevada. Began @ 6:30pm and didn't wander home until 12:15 or so. Admittedly we talked as much as we rode, Adam is still riding the wave of enthusiasm from his wedding last weekend (bride is out of town on business trip thus no honeymoon...I just have to get him back in one piece).
    This night riding is very satisfying. Strong LED lighting makes a difference...one can see the difference as I play with hi & lo beams as well as some nicely focused long range spot lights while next to Adam's yellow-ish conventional OEM halogen bulb. Currently they are aimed downwards for off-road work and occasionally singing the hair off of small furry animals.
    However I can reach forward on the fly and raise the spots so that they illuminate a hundred yards or more further down the road . I think this somewhat belies the assertion by some that long range LEDs are a myth. Video doesn't really portray the actual brightness, for example the LED's Lo-beam approaches the output of the stock H4 bulb.

The lumpy eroded two-tracks can get a little tiring though. The Mr.Gizmo bike's longer suspension throw seems more comfortable and safer in the rocks but I wanted to test the recently repaired Betty Boop. The shadows cast exaggerate things a bit but basically run-off from last few winters have significantly eroded the majority of un-paved roads regionally.
    I haven't even kept Mrs. Admiral out after dark...riding this year and she wants the JNS headlight upgrade. After watching this video (and many before by you and others), I'm gonna break the piggy bank and buy a couple for our TW's. I could see a big difference between yours and Adams lights in this video.

Along with normal erosion from weather, "some not all" UTV's have accelerated erosion in some sections of trails around here. UTV's have so much power which makes up for the some lack of skill/experience of the drivers and they just step on the gas and dig themselves out.

On a side note, Adam got married on the same day Mrs. Admiral and I did. Tell him it's a good day to get married!
    Donzo, elime, Fred and 1 others like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Very Cool.
    Did you get a chance to switch and ride the KLX at all? I've always been impressed with that little bike and some of its predecessors like the KL, KLR250 & Super Sherpa. A bit more powerful than a TW but a ton more grittier as well.

Before I bought the '91 HondaXR I was very close to buying an old Super Sherpa. But it was electric start only with no option to add a kick-starter like the TW. So I went with the XR which is kick-only.
    jtomelliott49 likes this.
    2008 Vespa 150"S" (Elec & Kick Start)
    2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
    2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
    1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
    1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
    1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)
    1969 BMW r60/2, US Model (Kick Start Only)

Briefly rode the KLX and was impressed with sophistication and build quality. Not as customizable as out TrailWays so a day-pack is required to carry all the odds and ends I like for safety, repair and comfort in the woods. Adam did rig a RotoPak mount we used on our Death Valley wanderings, otherwise range is limited.

Happy belated anniversary Admiral! I think Adam looked at your and Lori's relationship as an example of just how good a marriage can be before he pulled the trigger.

Certainly I have run out of fingers and toes to count all the truly fine folks I have met via this forum. Who would have though a shared interest is a simple obscure motorcycle could result in such lasting friendships? Sure there has been a stinker or two but by and large you folks are The Good People.

Wish I could night ride with one of you Good People equipped with the JNS headlight, would like to see how the hundred dollar option fairs compared to my fifty dollar mix of LED H4 bulb plus 5D spot light pods. Rode with Command Dog and his JNS but we never rolled out after dark, just day rides. Imagine the JNS is better in traffic with proper beam cut-offs for oncoming vehicles. My H4 floods the oncoming trail fairly uniformly which is nice off-road...less dancing beam margins. The spot light pods are a world onto themselves, have yet to see anything else that illuminates trees and foliage in the distance during the daytime. The ones on Betty Boop in the video are 3 year old take-offs from my van so their lenses are a bit frosted from road rash having been mounted close to ground. Newer same lighting on the Mr.Gizmo bike has very crisp beam boundaries, tosses well defined square boxes of light downrange.

Screen Shot 2019-08-25 at 10.03.46 AM.png
    Last edited by Fred; 08-25-2019 at 12:06 PM.
    Mel, jtomelliott49 and elime like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Sponosred Links