I miss my tw200
Close

Thread: I miss my tw200

So today was the maiden voyage of my year long process ( ok almost, ronnydog is slow at working..must be a government employe or something) of giving the tw a new engine...the motor was shipped over to rons secret beach front property, and after a few hiccups with parts, my new motor was bigger than 98.674% of yours. I may sound cocky, and i probably am, but its people like lizard breath who hate me right now. Ron claims it to be a 230cc with a high compression piston and a 3 speed tranny....after today's ride, i think hes telling the truth, but he threw in an extra 2 gears.

Theres still a few minor issues to work out and get it set up for trail riding, but i am differently happy with the extra kick the bike has. I used to run a 70 tooth sprocket before...max speed being 45, and 1st gear will walk up anything, so i was use to the torkiness and low end power. I changed my sprocket to a 55 tooth with the new motor, and it feels like i have an 80 tooth with more top end. First gear may be a little more open, but it defiantly grabs enough to bring the front end up. On forest roads i can actually spin the back tire loose in 3rd gear. Lets see your 196cc's do that! I also found that 5th gear was more "useable". When i nail the throttle in 5th, i actually accelerate. It doesn't bog down on a small hill either.

I honestly almost gave up on the tw due to its lack of power and moved up to a crf250x, but with this extra umph in the motor, i think ill be staying around for awhile. Next process is to get my atv tire back on, and see what its like then!

2008 TW200 with a super cool exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by xdac View Post
    So today was the maiden voyage of my year long process ( ok almost, ronnydog is slow at working..must be a government employe or something) of giving the tw a new engine...the motor was shipped over to rons secret beach front property, and after a few hiccups with parts, my new motor was bigger than 98.674% of yours. I may sound cocky, and i probably am, but its people like lizard breath who hate me right now. Ron claims it to be a 230cc with a high compression piston and a 3 speed tranny....after today's ride, i think hes telling the truth, but he threw in an extra 2 gears.

Theres still a few minor issues to work out and get it set up for trail riding, but i am differently happy with the extra kick the bike has. I used to run a 70 tooth sprocket before...max speed being 45, and 1st gear will walk up anything, so i was use to the torkiness and low end power. I changed my sprocket to a 55 tooth with the new motor, and it feels like i have an 80 tooth with more top end. First gear may be a little more open, but it defiantly grabs enough to bring the front end up. On forest roads i can actually spin the back tire loose in 3rd gear. Lets see your 196cc's do that! I also found that 5th gear was more "useable". When i nail the throttle in 5th, i actually accelerate. It doesn't bog down on a small hill either.

I honestly almost gave up on the tw due to its lack of power and moved up to a crf250x, but with this extra umph in the motor, i think ill be staying around for awhile. Next process is to get my atv tire back on, and see what its like then!

Glad to hear you're still in the TW's corner!

And hey, if lizrdbrth's anything like me, he's not jealous, just wondering why you don't just saddle up your KLR when you're itching for a little more power! 230 is still <651. Ha!

Seriously though, there's a lot of riding that can be done better by a peppier TW than by a big-bore thumper. Put those extra CCs to good use and post the ride reports here!
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

its people like lizard breath who hate me right now.

Easy Pinky. I ain't hatin'. If we hadn't ragged on you you'd still be burning through skateboard wheels a year from now.

Good on ya.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

So today was the maiden voyage of my year long process....

All those pics on the Montana Mtn. trail were taken while he was waiting for me to catch up!!
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

As one of the 1.326 % I say welcome to the club! The "over 196cc" club that is Glad to hear you got wheels under your ass again, enjoy your up-graded bike and show us pics of the gnarly's

z
    Full custom 2008 TW200/250 build pics of my bike... I call her TW (short for "Twice Wicked" for her almost doubled HP Hidden Content )

Hidden Content

Newest member of the herd... 1987 Honda CBX250... this bike will become a board tracker this summer

Hidden Content

Bought another bike last fall (2012) ... 1982 Kawasaki KZ305 it's a "mostly done" bobber project I got for practically nothing

Hidden Content

Sponosred Links