Another "test drive"...
Close

Like Tree7Likes
  • 5 Post By TW_in_BC
  • 2 Post By Purple

Thread: Another "test drive"...

Another "test drive"...

Wife working this Labor Day monday, so I thought I'd take another "test drive"...
    Intended destination was the Mt Cheam (pronounced She-am, not Cheem) parking lot, where all the hikers park their jeeps and 4x4's then hike 2 hours to the summit. The parking lot itself is just above the 1400m level, so this would give me a chance to run the TW to altitude.
    Travelling down Chilliwack Lake road...The Still, Welch and Foley peaks come into view just before I turn off.

IMG_0662_pano.JPG

The friendly sign welcomes me to the area and lists all the fun things to do here!

IMG_0663.JPG

Travelling a little further...right takes me to Foley Lake, I go left.

IMG_0668_pano.JPG

I find the turnoff to Cheam and start up...the road to Cheam is She-it...it hasn't seen any maintenance in years...what a shame!
    A bit further on, I see this...
    To quote Buster Scruggs: "Well....that ain't good."

IMG_0669.JPG

Soon, I locate the source....as suspected.

IMG_0670.JPG

I continued a bit further but the road was cratered and gouged...and the first 7 km are the best part of the road! As I'm travelling, I'm thinking about the last 4 STEEP kilometers and I decide to go somewhere else instead.
    On the way down, I met the owners of the vehicle...he wasn't aware of when this happened...another two switchbacks down the road and I saw where he bottomed out against a big rock.
    The rock won.
    He gave me a number to call when I reached cell-service again...
    Along the Chipmunk Bench...there isn't any service until you get much closer back to town...on the way back, I checked out another "road" to a secret cabin, but that road is also turning to crap.
    I made it as far as this viewpoint before being discouraged.

IMG_0676_pano_enhanced.JPG

Looking East, down the Chilliwack River Valley. It's a real shame that these roads are simply left to die...they present an endless amount of recreational opportunities for the locals, and the tourists...but once the logging companies are done, they simply de-activate the roads and leave it to nature to reclaim...
    So unless you're an A or B class rider (I am neither) your options are limited.

On the way back towards the spot that I called "my backyard" in the last ride....there, I have cell-service, so I phone the fellow's brother to come and get him.
    Apparently, his brother reached a serviced-area before I did...he thanked me for the call anyway.

IMG_0686_pano.JPG

Disappointed about the road conditions...still a nice day to get out and ride.
    As for the TW at altitude...not yet.
    Peterb, admiral, jtstdub and 2 others like this.
    2008 TW200
    Southwest corner of BC Canada

YouTube channel: Hidden Content

Looks like a great place to ride.

Nice smooth roads!
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Nice smooth roads for TW cruisin' and exploring.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

If that was a back road on Anglesey, it would be five feet wide, potholed and cratered, with grass and shrubs growing out of it – on a 35% incline, covered in frogs, with a caravan in front of you and a tractor behind you

I was about to say “you’re spoiled” – but thinking about it, maybe it’s me that’s spoiled – lol …….
    GOF and Xracer like this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Sponosred Links