Berdoo Canyon Rd (trail in Southern California) on 09/07
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Berdoo Canyon Rd (trail in Southern California) on 09/07

Post Berdoo Canyon Rd (trail in Southern California) on 09/07

EDIT: "Ride" Report below.

I don't figure there will be anyone local enough and free/interested, but just in case... I'm posting this several different places.

For anyone interested, we are doing Berdoo Canyon Rd on Saturday (09/07). We are meeting at 10:00, at this Chevron, about 5 minutes from the start of the trail.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ch...4d-116.1704294

Last edited by kj7687; 09-13-2019 at 05:08 PM.
    GCRAD1 likes this.
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500, 1999 Toyota 4Runner

Past rides: 2015 Yamaha XT 250, 1997 Suzuki DR 200, 2007 Honda Ruckus, 2007 Yamaha TW 200, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500, 2009 Kawasaki KLX331S; 1994 GMC Sierra 1500, 1987 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 Acura Integra, 1986 Honda CRX, 1989 Jeep Cherokee, 1994 Chevrolet Astro Van, 1979 Volkswagen Rabbit, 1984 Jeep Cherokee

KJ,
    Well Sir, I'd never heard of it before so, I looked it up. I checked out a couple of youtube vids on it and it looks like a fun run. I'd like to have run that with you but, it's quite a distance from me (Lake Havasu) and, I'm nursing a rather large leg burn back to health, that I acquired on a ride about 10 days ago. So, have a good ride and do report how it goes.
    Scott
    kj7687 likes this.
    Retired SDFD, 30 years,
    2004 Itasca Horizon 36GD CAT C-7 330HP
    2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing Caliente red
    2007 TW 200 "Blue Noid"
    2115 Jeep JKUR Rubicon
    2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4
    HAM, KI6OND
    Me, the wife and our killer Mini Schnauzer, "Sophie"

Thank you Scott! I'll try to remember to do a quick write up May your leg get better quickly (p.s. I know the feeling; I once got trapped under and XR600 with the exhaust right over my thigh; it was burning the crap out of me and I couldn't get out from under it from the position I was in! Luckily, a buddy ran over and helped me out in about 30 seconds, but even in that time, the burn was pretty bad)!
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:

Past rides: 2015 Yamaha XT 250, 1997 Suzuki DR 200, 2007 Honda Ruckus, 2007 Yamaha TW 200, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500, 2009 Kawasaki KLX331S; 1994 GMC Sierra 1500, 1987 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 Acura Integra, 1986 Honda CRX, 1989 Jeep Cherokee, 1994 Chevrolet Astro Van, 1979 Volkswagen Rabbit, 1984 Jeep Cherokee

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I would have gone had I seen this sooner lol.
    kj7687 likes this.
    2001 TW

What, a 19 hour notice isn't long enough to get ready, load up and get out there by 10 a.m.?
    kj7687 likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    What, a 19 hour notice isn't long enough to get ready, load up and get out there by 10 a.m.?
    I didn't see it until today. I can't go back in time lol. My own fault for not logging in for 2 weeks.
    2001 TW

I was just teasing KJ about his afternoon invitation, hope he understands it was done in jest.
    More than once I've had last a minute riding opportunity come up but either not enough time to react or get buddies to accompany me.
    However lately my buddy Adam has been training me to be a fast responder. Hard to say no to impromptu requests ranging from "Hey, are you busy? I'm kind of stuck in a mud hole" to "Let's go night riding on our favorite single tracks, I can be there in half an hour".
    kj7687 likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Just got back into town so I missed this one! Would love to get another group ride here in Socal together as a end of summer session...

Quote Originally Posted by kj7687 View Post
    I don't figure there will be anyone local enough and free/interested, but just in case... I'm posting this several different places.

For anyone interested, we are doing Berdoo Canyon Rd on Saturday (09/07). We are meeting at 10:00, at this Chevron, about 5 minutes from the start of the trail.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ch...4d-116.1704294

kj7687 likes this.
    Hidden Content 2016-TDUB • Built Suspension • LED Headlamp • FMF Powercore4 • Skid Plate • *fifteen/49 sprockets • EVO Air Footpegs • KX High (108mm) bars •1-1/8 Bar Risers • Rally Pro X-Strong Handguards • 714 Soft Touch Rally Grips • 241 Front Tire • Rear Rack • Front Rack

Fred, how dare you insult me like that, you monster? LOL, just kidding. I gotcha
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:

So I guess I neglected to state in this post that this was a 4x4/guns trip -- not with motos. I quit riding a couple of years ago after an unfortunate incident...

Last Saturday, I met Dave in the third-gen Tacoma and Beth Ann in the 2017 Rubicon at the Chevron linked to above. I was there first; Dave rolled up about 1 or 2 minutes later; Beth Ann arrived about 5 minutes later. We weren't sure if someone else might show up who hadn't confirmed their participation, so we rolled out at about 10:15 after gas/restroom. We reached the trail head in just a few minutes.

The trail starts out as an un-maintained paved road heading north from another road that parallels highway 10 just past Indio, CA, and continues like that for about a mile before going down a dirt hill. After that, there are little patches of paved road here and there for the next couple of miles.

Knowing (this time) that my phone's GPS app won't work out there, I had already loaded up my trusted old hiking GPS (model-year 2000!). That little unit has gotten me out of some situations The others' phone GPS systems did not work either, so I was the only one with a working GPS. I always like to have that just in case. Although it's rarely been needed, there have been a couple of times when I was glad to have it! (e.g. well past dark, actually legitimately lost and disoriented, and damn near out of gas on the motos out in Johnson Valley area one time...). It still works great and is easy to use and follow. It even draws a nice little line for you, which you can follow back out if so inclined.

After a few minutes of relaxed-pace cruising through the wide sandy wash, we came to the first little rocky sections of trail. It's nothing crazy, but enough to give the mild-mannered GMC a bit of a workout, and just technical enough to be a good time. Last time I was out there in this truck, I was hustling through the sand sections in 2wd, getting sideways and all that, haha. But my poor little baby GMC occasionally cries and gets upset about the heat when you drive like that, LOL. It's not bad (except that one time when I was hitting Blow Sand Hill in Ocotillo wells repeatedly at 5,000 RPM+), but the temp gauge does like to creep up a bit, past where it normally sits during normal street driving. I guess the constant spinning of the tires with the tall ass gearing just heats things up a bit. The peak ambient temperature during our drive was 111 degrees Fahrenheit. It sat at around 215 on average and would sometimes want to scoot up to 220-ish, while normal operation never yields temps of over 210 (usually not over 205). I'm sure it's not a problem at that point, but I do know that it will get up a lot hotter than that if I really start to push the engine/trans in a hot desert environment (see "that one time in Ocotillo Wells...^^); I just didn't want to risk having a problem, preferring to finish the trail without incident! In terms of coolant temps, the truck really seems to dislike two wheel drive with its extra wheel spin and taller gearing; dropping it back into 4-low helps a ton and definitely cools it all down a bit.

About 30 minutes later, we reached the next rock section. Same deal as the first -- nothing crazy, but still fun. This is as far as I had gotten on my last excursion into this area a few weeks prior. I decided it would be a good place to stop and take a quick break. Uncrustables frozen/thawed PB&Js to the rescue! Dave and Beth Ann and I talked and BSd for a bit, and we picked up the shattered remains of a glass beer bottle that some jackass had left in the sand. Good deed for the day -- check. Always leave the desert as good or better than the way it was when you found it!

Feeling refreshed and ready to finish the trail, we proceeded to do just that. A couple of miles further down the trail, we came upon another Wrangler and passed him. At first, he didn't pull over (for about 1/4 or 1/2 mile), but then did. We weren't going fast anyway. Stopping at an intersection in the trail, Dave noticed that the guy in the Jeep was catching up to us. Unacceptable. LOL -- time to have a little fun. I had been going quite slowly, mostly due to the temperature "concerns", but I popped the truck back into 2wd and had a bit of fun in the washes for the next two or three miles (up to 40 or 50 mph).

Dave and I still wanted to get back to the shooting area (BLM land at the start of the trail), but he was running out of time and had to be out of there by around 4:00 P.M. For that reason, we took the street through Joshua Tree National Park -- Park Blvd. -- back out to highway 62, to our west at that point. Unfortunately (as I had already known they would...), the park staff charged us $30 per vehicle just to leave the park in that direction. I only did that because of the time constraints, as I would otherwise have certainly preferred to drive back down via the trail and not have to pay the fee. But life went on, and we did get a chance to do some shooting for about 45 minutes, in spite of the street drive taking more than twice as long as I had estimated.

I was cruising along at 65 on the freeway (as I normally do during commutes or adventures or any time I'm not in a hurry), but Beth Ann was having none of that (after about 30 minutes of it). She pulled past me, and from there back to Berdoo, I had some flashbacks to my street bike days hahaha Not gonna lie: I do still feel the need for speed sometimes and miss all that.

The shooting at Berdoo was a good time, even though it was short and sweet. There were quite a few other people out there shooting (none had been there when we arrived in the morning). We drove past them all with some due caution and found a spot with a nice dirt embankment as a backstop. Dave had a .223 rifle and I had my .22 LR Browning Buck Mark pistol. Between the two of us, we fired off probably 150 rounds, having stationed a few "evil terrorists" (a $3.50 12-pack of diet sodas I'd picked up at Walmart for this purpose) over at the base of the dirt hill -- not something anyone would be driving on, mind you, just the side of the large wash area. Needless to say, these make satisfying targets. We were about 30 yards from the cans. Dave's rifle had a nice scope on it, and I had about a 70% accuracy rate with it. His was probably 85%. It was difficult to hit the cans with my Buck Mark (I'm not a great shot), but I did manage one after five or six misses -- and did the same with one or two other cans. Dave tried the Buck Mark and got it with the last round in the magazine. The fact that the Browning was literally too hot to touch didn't help with the accuracy! After sitting in the sun for a few minutes, it was legitimately burning my hand when I picked it up, but I said screw it and fired it anyway. Later, just as we were getting ready to pack up and head out, Beth Ann -- who had been helping us set up and pick up trash (nice of her!) found two "terrorists" that were still alive, so we set them up and smoked them. Dave got one with the rifle IIRC. I took my time and carefully/calmly aimed in with the Browning for about 2.5 seconds and squeezed off a round, destroying the last one with the first round and then rapid-firing the other 9.

This was a good day. I had met Dave previously in connection with the So Cal Off Road Recovery Facebook group, and I met Beth Ann for the first time that day. It's great to be able to get away and forget your troubles at least once in a while. The wheeling and shooting made for good times, and I look forward to getting back out there again in the not-too-distant future, perhaps with some of you from the TW 200 forum, if you'd be game!

Pictures to follow, below.
    Last edited by kj7687; 09-13-2019 at 05:57 PM.
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links