Me and My TW...
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Me and My TW...

between the Catskill and Adirondack Mts., NYS
    After lamenting the lack of "legal" off-road opps for me and my lil' Tee-Dub, I decided to do some exploring today. It was a beautiful, crisp Autumn day in Upstate New York, and I knew that there were some pretty interesting things around here, so decided to take the bike out and see what I could see. I was headed to "Gelston Castle", an old historical site in nearby Jordanville (est. @1790), passing by another landmark, the Holy Trinity Russian Orthodox Monastery - This opulent compound is very incongruous, being that it is built up in the middle of "nowhere", with cornfields surrounding it.

Being that I was riding the bike, I couldn't go into the church due to the "rules"...

A short way down the road was the Monastery's graveyard:

Then, I was off down the road to Gelston Castle...

(to be continued...)

Gelston Castle has a fascinating history, but at the present time, the current owners have chosen to use the grounds for a variety of music festivals. This summer, Moe.down was held here. Approaching the property, the garish sign is impossible to miss...

a packed gravel road leads to the iron gated entrance: (the sign says "No entry without permission". Nobody's around, so I decide to continue up the drive...)

It's hard-packed gravel, and the TW has no trouble climbing the gentle hill... I get to a tree with signs that obviously were put up for the big music festival last month.

further up the road is the Henderson House, the first structure built on the property. You can see the remains of the castle in the background

The castle itself is worse than a shell now; it has totally collapsed, and every year, becomes little more than a huge pile of rock:

The blue pattern window film, I assumed, was from the last use of the Castle (late 60's, early 70's) as a retirement home.

Moving on from the sad spectacle of the castle remains, I head toward the modernistic mansion built by the Russian Conductor, Mstislav Rostropovich, who fled to the area, and purchased the property because of its close proximity to the Orthodox Church there. He had apparently originally wanted to restore the castle, but was told that it was not worth it, and instead built his own home:

The entire property is on a ridge, overlooking the Mohawk River Valley:

The gravel road continued toward another iron gate, beyond which the road turned to dirt and grass:

I knew that the Robinson Family Graveyard was somewhere down this path...

and it was - about a quarter mile, in the middle of the woods, surrounded by an iron fence with trees growing through it

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

For reasons unknown, the entrance to the graveyard was strewn with colored glass, mostly blue (seen under the fallen leaves:

All of the gravestones were the same pinkish-orange colored granite. I didn't know why each headstone had a large "X" at the top.

The sun was getting low, and it was beginning to get cool, so I decided I'd better take my leave...

waved to one of the multiple security cameras on the property:

and headed back down toward the town, deciding to take a loop around to the library there...

taking another "back" road, I discovered hulking behind the town, a large gravel quarry! It looked like it had been there a LONG time...

came around from the backside of town, and pulled into the lot of the historical library:

By now, it was getting downright chilly, and I had neglected a neck gaiter, so I hopped back on the TeeDub and headed back to the house on Canadarago Lake, and went to work on this post

Nice pics, nice ride.

Sorry about the dearth of offroad riding there, but connecting the dots to historic sites is pretty good use of time as well.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Really nice pictures of some really neat historical area's. Just goes to show you (me that is), one does not need to go off-road to see really cool stuff.

Thanks for sharing and keep the ride reports coming, when you can, I know winter is coming!

P.S. I always wanted to build and live in a Castle, but I know its not practical, but I can dream!

Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

i enjoyed your ride. nice travel bag on the back.
    not a TW owner but i play one on this forum.

This is an old Russian tradition, usually practiced by gypsies.

The colored glass is said to confuse evil or mischievous spirits and chase them away from the guarded area.

Quote Originally Posted by bikingbiddy View Post
    For reasons unknown, the entrance to the graveyard was strewn with colored glass, mostly blue (seen under the fallen leaves:

Stephen S.

'07 TW200:

15/50 sprockets, O-ring chain, D2Moto foot pegs

tweaked carb (127.5 jet, 0.019 needle shim, idle screw @2.25),

Rubbermaid "Action Packer" on homemade brackets

Good photos... and riding.

Those Autumn color photos are very nice to enjoy from here in the desert. ^^;

Already Fall, and in a couple of months, many TW would be in sleep mode ???

Thanks for the sharing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links