Touring around Tucson on the TW
Close

Inspired by other members' recent postings of sights and tourist attractions in their areas, I hit the streets on my TW to see some stuff around Tucson that I haven't seen in awhile.

I cruised around downtown some, and checked out some of the barrios around South Tucson.

Looking up at Sentinel Peak.

Sentinel Peak is also called A Mountain for the huge stone and concrete "A" that the University of Arizona students keep painted up there. "Tucson" is supposedly taken from the name of a Tohono O'odham village that was (and in a way, still is) nearby. I've heard it means "spring at the base of a black hill", the hill being Sentinel Peak.

There's a pretty good view of Tucson from up there too.

Father Kino founded the San Xavier del Bac mission in 1692. I guess it didn't really work out all that well for the Tohono O'odham in the long run, but it sure is a purdy building!

This is on the Reservation, and the vendors out front sell incredibly delicious fry bread. Fry bread is not a traditional pre-Columbian food, but if you ever have a chance to try some I recommend you eat up!

Tucson has lots of neat old Spanish stuff, lots of cool indian stuff, and also lots of really cool Air Force stuff. I never miss the Bi-annual Davis-Monthan AFB open house/air show, the Titan Missile Museum south of town is an amazing cold war relic, and the Pima Air and Space museum has an impressive collection of military aircraft from the earliest examples to the space age.

I swung by to snap this pic by the A-7D Corsair II they keep out in the parking lot.

This is by no means a comprehensive tour of Tucson, just a few highlights from the 65 mile loop that I did today. There were actually lots of cool things I saw while I was out that I didn't see a good way to get a picture of.

Let me echo the advice that got me out on this ride: No matter where you live, there are interesting and historic things to go see nearby!
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

Great pictures! I'd love to ride Arizona, looks like a fun place to explore.
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me, I am that fool!

Looks like great riding weather, with deep blue skies! Your bike looks great with the new tank. I'm partial to the XT350 tanks, myself. Thanks for the tour. I love the early history, and you really hooked me with the picture of the Corsair and mention of the air museums and airshow. From what I understand the Corsair was quite a hot rod in it's day. Someday I'll get down there; I've always wanted to go to Davis-Monthan. I'm guessing the open houses are in the spring and fall?
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by B-dub View Post
    Looks like great riding weather, with deep blue skies! Your bike looks great with the new tank. I'm partial to the XT350 tanks, myself. Thanks for the tour. I love the early history, and you really hooked me with the picture of the Corsair and mention of the air museums and airshow. From what I understand the Corsair was quite a hot rod in it's day. Someday I'll get down there; I've always wanted to go to Davis-Monthan. I'm guessing the open houses are in the spring and fall?

The current USAF attack plane of choice, the A10, is a lot of fun to watch in the air and we get to see a lot of them around here. They mostly run training missions on A10s, C-130s, and Pave Hawks out of D-M. Some folks aren't crazy about the noise, but I love to see em flying!

D-M does the open house in the early spring, every other year. They had one last year, so I'm guessing the next one will be April or May 2014. They do an incredible battlefield reenactment with pyrotechnics and all. They usually play out some scenario where ground troops get into trouble, they send in the fighter jets at high altitude to secure the airspace, then send in the attack planes to strafe, then send in the helos to finish the job and evacuate the injured ground troops. It's really impressive to see. Last year they had to pause the whole shebang to clear the airspace for a medevac to fly through. A little real life drama in the middle of some very expensive playing pretend!
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

Sponosred Links