WABDR Summer 2020
Close

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By TWBigBlake

Thread: WABDR Summer 2020

There's enough of us Washington riders on the forum, I'm gonna put this out there so people can chime in with their thoughts or experiences (if they've run this trail before).

Looking at the trail, I think we could cover a lot of area where TW owners reside, I don't know if I'll have enough time off to do the whole trail, but I know I can at least do Stevenson to where the trail comes by Wenatchee.

I'm going to put some dates out there, and feel free to suggest others, but the idea here is to spend time enjoying the trail, the ride, and get as many TW riders from Washington (and anyone else who wants to truck in and join us) out on the trail. I read this section of the forums a lot and see a lot of "wish I could have come along" or "Man that looks awesome," this will be a ride with enough time to plan for and going on long enough where there should be ample opportunity to set time aside, coordinate any transportation needed, make any reservations for spots on the trail or those staying longer, etc

This would also give riders in the state or those who may want to join us from surrounding states a chance to see the beautiful mountains and wilderness in the Naches area of this beautiful State.

Say your piece, all thoughts and ideas are welcome. Sure would be so awesome to kick things off at the Bridge of the Gods with an army of TW200s...

7CD68C1D-EEAC-4476-874E-5CE5DA086523_1571085408300.jpeg

Locking down a time frame - Vote for the month you want below (see links)

Lets start with months to determine the highest availability

Link to vote:
    https://linkto.run/p/B46KJP9A

Poll results:
    https://linkto.run/r/B46KJP9A

Here's a video of the Washington Backcountry Discovery Route:

https://youtu.be/s2-pbbvCO2c
    Last edited by TWBigBlake; 10-14-2019 at 04:20 PM.

I've done several sections in my 4x4 and camped along the way.

Things to keep in mind: earlier in the year there is more chance of mud and wet terrain. Some of the route is spots slicker than snake sh*t right off cliff edges. Later in the summer wildfires can shut down some of the route.

The only truly difficult section via motorbike is section 2 and what has been dubbed "baby head hill" due to the baby head sized rock garden you must traverse.

On a tdub I'd suggest rotopax or spare fuel.

Wish I had the setup to moto camp, I'd be all over this.
    2016 TW. "Jolene"
    Extended clutch, brake, throttle lines. 2"Bar riser, Pro Taper ATV High bars.

Thanks for the heads up skinny, I took a look at that section, that steep stretch at the end does look crazy but I'm sure our little tractors can make it.

Also, if you're not set up for camping, feel free to just come out for the day and ride a section, maybe just come out for A run at baby head hill lol.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Honestly, I may join everyone and run my 4x4. It wouldn't be a bad idea to have a support vehicle. Plus the truck will shrug off hauling beers.

We should try and get some folks together to go bomb around Tahuya over in . . .Belfair? I think. Would be a fun day trip.
    2016 TW. "Jolene"

Quote Originally Posted by Skinny06 View Post
    Honestly, I may join everyone and run my 4x4. It wouldn't be a bad idea to have a support vehicle. Plus the truck will shrug off hauling beers.

We should try and get some folks together to go bomb around Tahuya over in . . .Belfair? I think. Would be a fun day trip.
    Definitely, We could pick a date for an early riding season get-together/meet and greet in Tahuya, I like this idea!

I'd be glad to ride this route anytime next summer. I'll make sure I'm ready any date that is chosen during July or August. I have a 2018 KLR that I bought new in August with one mile on it and I now have 1,400 miles on it. Did the entire Mountain Loop Hwy yestrday and the Wynoochee Dam last weekend with my 13 year old son on the back. The problem for me is I don't have anyone with a bike to ride with and I really want to do the WABDR next summer, but I don't want to ride it alone. I'm up for a meeting and bee-essing in Belfair any weekend...I rolled through there last Saturday. I'm up for the whole 575 miles or anything in between.

I'll join up for a section at least!
    Arlington, WA
    2019 stock TW (for now)
    2002 Honda Rancher 350 ES
    1989 Ford F-350 7.3 diesel

Keep in mind this should probably take place in Late July or August. Some of the route is snowed over, or impassable until mid-late june. Then it typically takes some time for any washouts and the like to be bypassed safely.
    2016 TW. "Jolene"

Sponosred Links