Six Day Sierra Group Ride - Page 3
Close

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree226Likes

Thread: Six Day Sierra Group Ride

Day 3: We move from my back yard 100 miles south to the Sweetwater Mountain Range, unload and resume the festival of singletrackery with these pair of scenic gems.
    I find out ejfranz is mortal after all with a healthy respect for the "exposure" crossing steep slopes. Granted if any of us rode off some of those edges we humans could climb back up but the bike might have to take up residence down the canyon.

7 or 8 miles of single track with a few more miles of two track linking them, all about 10 miles or so from camp made for a short but fun 35 mile day.

To quote Adam-in-Nevada's Freudian slip: "A lot of first and second fear". He, Boarder255 & I ran these reverse a month prior and it was not as easy.
    Last edited by Fred; 10-22-2019 at 01:59 PM.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

You really should try to make it Dave.

So I got the right answer huh?

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner? Gee I didn't even get a "like" from you... he he he he

Admirable ride bro, for sure!! You Da Man!!

Quote Originally Posted by ibdavid View Post
    Dan and Sue, where are you?

Yes Tommy, you got it!

I really look forward to a group ride one of these days. BTW, I've been on tech boards for a number of years, I must admit this is a great, helpful, caring crowd. Thanks to all for your contributions and sharing adventures, good stuff!
    SanDue likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Day 3: We move from my back yard 100 miles south to the Sweetwater Mountain Range, unload and resume the festival of singletrackery with these pair of scenic gems.
    I find out ejfranz is mortal after all with a healthy respect for the "exposure" crossing steep slopes. Granted if any of us rode off some of those edges we humans could climb back up but the bike might have to take up residence down the canyon.

7 or 8 miles of single track with a few more miles of two track linking them, all about 10 miles or so from camp made for a short but fun 35 mile day.

To quote Adam-in-Nevada's Freudian slip: "A lot of first and second fear". He, Boarder255 & I ran these reverse a month prior and it was not as easy.
    I was more worried about where you didn't end up taking us. Something you mentioned about going over a 3-4 foot ledge, one-way, maybe not making it back up. I was well within my comfort zone on these trails 'sept a bit of nervousness right off the bat on the side-hill exposure. I'm just glad I wasn't the only side-hill exposure nervous rider.

When I viewed my video of your oopsie, I wasn't close enough and didn't capture the actual wipe-out. For me, seeing what "had" happened was good enough to keep me focused. As Ron in Boise said a few times "you need to keep at least one eye on the trail, and in some cases, both eyes". Yup, this was a double eye trail.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Those trails look very nice with "2 eyes".

Tommy, I'm not much of a "liker", although I did give you a chicken dinner like! The whole like thing reminds me of FB, which is a place I try to avoid. Anyway, thanks for recognizing!
    littletommy and SanDue like this.
    2004 TW200, low miles (not enough riding).
    Other 2 wheel toys; many bicycles and a honda CT90.

The 3 to 4 foot one-way ledge occurs further downstream in the main Rock Creek canyon where trail crosses a stream-cut. We turned upstream instead once we joined the main canyon. Where I pointed out "The easy way out" and Eckhart couldn't make it up the hill is where Donzo, Adam and I turned around on last October's Fall Color Ride. We had gotten there via another side canyon singletrack which in hindsight we should have diverted to and enjoyed. Admiral still could have made it back in time to shower, change, eat, un-hook the truck and drive back to Reno Airport to pick up Mrs.Admiral before falling asleep at the wheel on the 100 mile drive back. There is a lot of interconnectivity in them thar hills.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Day 4: After 3 years I finally make it to the Bufort mine camp, a point on a map that had intrigued me for years due to the challenge it would make to get there on a TW. Admiral, ejfranz & I make it look easy as our bikes ran buttery smooth without the blubbering and un-avaialable power one would expect above 11,000 ft. ( At least mine did. I accelerated up into the TTR's 6th gear briefly for the final push from 11,200 to 11,600 ft in the land they call "Mars With Wildflowers") Stellar 360 degree views and good weather made it a memorable day.
    Exploring a new way down off the mountain gave more miles of adventure but no viable exit due to private property. So we backtracked. I thoroughly enjoyed myself, perhaps the video captures some of the reasons why...a great TW chain of destinations.

2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

We should be awarded Astronaut Wings from NASA. That's what it felt like anyway. Glad it wasn't hot up there because there ain't no shade trees.

Future_astro_wings_large.jpg
    littletommy, cateyetech and SanDue like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Where I pointed out "The easy way out" and Eckhart couldn't make it up the hill is where Donzo, Adam and I turned around on last October's Fall Color Ride.
    Too much riding and not enough maintenance. Dirty air filter and snorkel were not allowing enough air in at that elevation. Bike was bagged and gutting out on all the hills. Luckily I had an extra, clean air filter and removing the snorkel allowed for a pleasant ride the next day up and over the “Mars” type environment. On the day 4 ride I was following Fred for a while and he made some of the hill climbs on a supposed way out look very challenging as he appeared to be slipping and sliding. Then I would hit the hill, expecting the worst and would just cruise up it. I will assume Fred wanted a more challenging ride and kept his rear tire pressure high. He did lower the pressure as the climbs became steeper and looser. On the way back I had to take 2 run at a hill which Fred and Kris just cruised up with their ATV tires.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

"bagged and gutting out" ? Makes you sound like a successful elk hunter.
    Darn Canadians don't hardly speak the same language at times....should have joined us rebels back in the 1770's . Then they wouldn't have to have French labels on everything.
    Now we all have our excuses...mine is I must have been reading the BAR rather than PSI scale on my tire pressure gauge. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
    There certainly was a world of difference between 18 and 8 PSI in the steep marbles.
    My comment about the failed climb out "the easy way out" was more about pointing out the irony of my once again underestimating trail difficulties rather than anyone's riding abilities...it was certainly steep & loose but looked doable from below.
    Would ride with you Future Astronauts anytime, anywhere.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

I think you guys will like the beginning of my Day 2 video when it gets posted. The definition of Fred's Easy Trails explained by Fred. Bwahaha.
    littletommy, SanDue, Fred and 1 others like this.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links