TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Six Day Sierra Group Ride

8K views 109 replies 10 participants last post by  Fred 
#1 · (Edited)
Admiral started a thread on a recent camp-n-ride we shared with others but it got put on hold due to photo-posting gremlins.
Time for me to sketch out the outline and maybe others can hang their photos , videos and comments on this.

It turned into 6 wonderful days riding in a variety of terrains from 4,800 feet to over 11,600 feet.
Bikes and riders did great with no special adjustments other than clean air filters for this 6,800 plus feet of change. Concerns expressed about necessity of jetting changes are somewhat over stated in my opinion and experience.

It all started with joking back and forth about neat places to ride and then the pieces fell into place with Admiral and Ejfranz arriving first on Tuesday bringing a 40 degree drop in temps with them. Darn Northerners and their cold weather!

Day 1, Tuesday: The guys unload and want to hit the single tracks. So we ride from my place sampling easy and not-so-easy trails until lengthening shadows have us retreat, 35 miles or so.

Day 2, Wednesday: My plan was to move to ride super-twisty Monitor Pass through Ebbetts Pass but I was out-voted. "More single track please!" . So single trackin' 'till you puke was the theme of the day, 50 miles since we hit two separate ranges.

Day 3, Thursday: We move south and into the Sweetwaters, set up camp then ride some truly remote and scenic single track around the 9000 ft level. Think side hill single trakin' through aspen tunnels in riotous fall colors. Maybe 30 miles then Admiral drove back to pick up Mrs.Admiral from the airport to have a civilizing influence on us.

Day 4, Friday: A quick warm-up ride to an antennae farm atop a 10,000 minor peak has us gaze at nearby 11,600 ft plus peaks.."Let's go there!" So we do. Amazing ride above the tree line on old mining roads from one side of a mountain range to the other. After three years I finally did the two summits leading to old mining camp of Bofort. After exploring more and failed attempts to find other ways off the mountain we ended up back tracking for a 70 mile thrilling day. We slept well that night, could barely stay awake long enough to greet Bananachunks who rode all the way from San Francisco after work. What a guy!

Day 5, Saturday: The five of us tour scenic roads on benches overlooking the Sierrras, several aspen groves and then a long cruise down low below 8,000 ft. above the Walker River to outskirts of the village of Walker. Another 50 miles or so?

Day 6, Sunday: Bananachunks has to eventually head home so after him loading up we all ride off one mountain and go to another entering the Marine Mountain Warfare Training Center near foot of Sonora Pass. The Marines are very gracious to us visitors, just keep the speeds down. Semper Fi!
Couldn't find a needed trail fork but I was tying to guide the group past Lost Cannon Peak (General Fremont and Kit Carson had a bit of trouble with their gear 170 years ago) to pick up a long trail ending at a well preserved little known un-vandalized stamp mill and mine workings. So we ended up with George heading back over Sonora Pass with rest of us following behind for some twisty pavement fun up to the summit. Speedy canyon carving blows away accumulated trail dust but we took some butterflies in the face instead.
Day 7, Monday: All good things come to an end. After six fun filled days and many a different riding experiences my friends have to load and depart. I head south for a hot spring soak with plans to camp above Mono Lake and ride Yosemite National Park.

Group Rides can sure be habit forming!

See less See more
#2 ·
Yes, I had the old thread deleted because of picture posting problems. Yesterday I found out someone from a different forum is having issues posting photos from Google Photos (photo host site) so the problem is with Google Photos not the forums. Until that issue is fixed I'll just attach from my computer. Takes a little longer but doable.

Here's a photo or two from each day. I'll do a ride report with video and more pictures in the near future. I couldn't wait for after Christmas so I started editing day 1 footage yesterday. Fantastic riding every single day. Thank you so much Fred.

Day 1
As you all have heard many times before...Fred's easy trails
Off-roading Enduro Vehicle Jungle Trail

Day 2
Geological phenomenon Plant community Wilderness Geology Vehicle

Day 3
Wilderness Mountain Geological phenomenon Road Mountain pass

Day 4
Road Natural environment Vehicle Road trip Sand

Day 5
Tree Soil Natural environment Wilderness Forest

Day 6
Mountainous landforms Mountain Badlands Wilderness Formation

Couple Bonus Campsite Photo

Tent Natural environment Off-roading Vehicle Ecoregion

Staying out of the wind
Gas

#3 ·
Great photos so far Kris, thanks. You captured many of the wonderful moments, we did so much in those days I may forget some. I'll see if I can add more, time permitting. So many good memories!

Day 1: Warming up in a boulder patch...guys needed to stretch their muscles after so many hours driving to come play with me. Camera Cameras & optics Screenshot Photography Technology

Much of the riding was actually nice and smooth, Kris must be exaggerating:p Vehicle Adventure game Off-roading Helmet Enduro

Day 2: More of the same playful trails like this plus a trip down a Verdi Peak single track to Stampede Reservoir. Areas have many miles of narrow trails that twist through the trees. All-terrain vehicle Off-roading Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Day 3: Single trackin' Desert Creek and the forks of Rock Creek . Tree Natural environment Forest Off-roading Woody plant
Mountainous landforms Wilderness Mountain Vehicle Plant community

Day 4: A day of peak bagging, old mine shacks and finding private property blocking an exit after descending a few thousand feet. Mountainous landforms Mountain Mountain range Sand Vehicle
... Mountainous landforms Vehicle Mountain range Mountain pass Geological phenomenon
... Sand Landscape Vehicle Soil Road

Day 5: Chasing Mrs.Admiral towards an aspen lined side canyon. She can cover ground so much faster than years past on her ATV. Dirt road Plant community Grass family Soil Road

Certainly and fun and entertaining group to go ride with even if Ejfranz takes a time out for a bit of cardio at old homestead site smashed by micro-burst blown down pine trees. Tree Nature Natural environment Trail Forest

#4 ·
Day 6: Leaving the Marine's training center for a ride up to Sonora Pass. Some twisty 28% grades await us. Motorcycle Vehicle Motorcycling Adventure game Adventure

Will try to cook up some videos eventually but for now more other chores and riding opportunities before snow flies keep me distracted.

#6 ·
Why not come to SanDue's McCloud ride next weekend? Easy graded roads there will polish off any rusty riding skills. Good food, reasonably good company and warm weather at a scenic secluded lakeside campground. Firearm friendly too.

#8 ·
Never say never Tony! Betty Boop's other footpeg has been repaired so I could bring it & show off how those how well those fork seals you helped install are holding up. Enjoy a little scooped handgunnery with a hip pocket howitzer in .41 mag perhaps? Tree Sunlight Rock Reflection Forest

#9 ·
Go Tony Go!! :)

Reactions: elime and Fred
#10 ·
October means the aspens were changing color most everywhere we went. Vehicle Off-roading Mode of transport All-terrain vehicle Dirt road

Supposedly, like grasses, these all share a common root system. All I know is their fall colors make a great excuse for a ride in the country.

Vehicle Mode of transport Windshield All-terrain vehicle Road

#11 ·
Day 1 Video highlights short clips of some of the lumpy stuff. I've shown most of these trails before so much may look familiar. Being in the lead I can't show the others having "fun" but you can sure see my Betty Boop on her side moaning from abuse:p

#12 ·
I wasn't gonna put Betty "resting" in my video but maybe since you opened the door...:D I'm just glad it was a step off dropsies and you weren't with her on "your side".

I almost have Parts 1 & 2 of Day 1 videos ready. Since I was behind everyone I've got some nice shots of all of us riding. While most of this is pretty easy, You did show us some of the places where a rider better pay attention. Never know when a branch, tree, mud puddle or rock will jump out and grab you!!!

#13 ·
Please post away! For some reason I had 4 good low speed bike drops that week, each one could have resulted in a ride ending injury had not my guardian angel been working overtime. Hope you caught some of it so I can see where I went wrong.

Reactions: SanDue
#14 ·
Great thread, thank you for sharing.

I want to join a Nor Cal "Sierra's" group ride on of these days. I've ridden Monitor, Ebbett's (both passes were closed to cars) and Carson pass in a single day on a mountain bike, can anyone guess that event?

#16 ·
Death Ride

Reactions: ibdavid and joeband
#17 ·
Naw, easy stuff if you know where, and where not, to go

Day 2 More of Day1 singletrackery but with this bonus trail tossed in on a nearby range. There we descend from part way up to the shores of a nearby reservoir.
I make ejfranz lead on a trail he's never seen before hoping to catch him up on a tree or something. Darn Canadian, he never crashes!

#18 ·
Dan and Sue, where are you? :)

Yes Tommy, you got it!

I really look forward to a group ride one of these days. BTW, I've been on tech boards for a number of years, I must admit this is a great, helpful, caring crowd. Thanks to all for your contributions and sharing adventures, good stuff!

Reactions: littletommy
#22 ·
You really should try to make it Dave.

So I got the right answer huh?

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner? Gee I didn't even get a "like" from you... he he he he ;)

Admirable ride bro, for sure!! You Da Man!!

Reactions: SanDue
#19 ·
David, Dan & Sue who live in Anderson outside Redding are hosting a Group Ride at McCloud Bridge Campground, exit 698 Interstate 5 . Details in the current running thread called something like "Ride Fast & Shoot Straight Group Ride"

Reactions: littletommy
#21 · (Edited)
Day 3: We move from my back yard 100 miles south to the Sweetwater Mountain Range, unload and resume the festival of singletrackery with these pair of scenic gems.
I find out ejfranz is mortal after all with a healthy respect for the "exposure" crossing steep slopes. Granted if any of us rode off some of those edges we humans could climb back up but the bike might have to take up residence down the canyon.:p

7 or 8 miles of single track with a few more miles of two track linking them, all about 10 miles or so from camp made for a short but fun 35 mile day.

To quote Adam-in-Nevada's Freudian slip: "A lot of first and second fear". He, Boarder255 & I ran these reverse a month prior and it was not as easy.

#23 ·
I was more worried about where you didn't end up taking us. Something you mentioned about going over a 3-4 foot ledge, one-way, maybe not making it back up. I was well within my comfort zone on these trails 'sept a bit of nervousness right off the bat on the side-hill exposure. I'm just glad I wasn't the only side-hill exposure nervous rider.

When I viewed my video of your oopsie, I wasn't close enough and didn't capture the actual wipe-out. For me, seeing what "had" happened was good enough to keep me focused. As Ron in Boise said a few times "you need to keep at least one eye on the trail, and in some cases, both eyes". Yup, this was a double eye trail. :p

#25 ·
The 3 to 4 foot one-way ledge occurs further downstream in the main Rock Creek canyon where trail crosses a stream-cut. We turned upstream instead once we joined the main canyon. Where I pointed out "The easy way out" and Eckhart couldn't make it up the hill is where Donzo, Adam and I turned around on last October's Fall Color Ride. We had gotten there via another side canyon singletrack which in hindsight we should have diverted to and enjoyed. Admiral still could have made it back in time to shower, change, eat, un-hook the truck and drive back to Reno Airport to pick up Mrs.Admiral before falling asleep at the wheel on the 100 mile drive back. There is a lot of interconnectivity in them thar hills.

#28 ·
Where I pointed out "The easy way out" and Eckhart couldn't make it up the hill is where Donzo, Adam and I turned around on last October's Fall Color Ride.
Too much riding and not enough maintenance. Dirty air filter and snorkel were not allowing enough air in at that elevation. Bike was bagged and gutting out on all the hills. Luckily I had an extra, clean air filter and removing the snorkel allowed for a pleasant ride the next day up and over the “Mars” type environment. On the day 4 ride I was following Fred for a while and he made some of the hill climbs on a supposed way out look very challenging as he appeared to be slipping and sliding. Then I would hit the hill, expecting the worst and would just cruise up it. I will assume Fred wanted a more challenging ride and kept his rear tire pressure high. He did lower the pressure as the climbs became steeper and looser. On the way back I had to take 2 run at a hill which Fred and Kris just cruised up with their ATV tires.

#26 ·
Day 4: After 3 years I finally make it to the Bufort mine camp, a point on a map that had intrigued me for years due to the challenge it would make to get there on a TW. Admiral, ejfranz & I make it look easy as our bikes ran buttery smooth without the blubbering and un-avaialable power one would expect above 11,000 ft. ( At least mine did. I accelerated up into the TTR's 6th gear briefly for the final push from 11,200 to 11,600 ft in the land they call "Mars With Wildflowers") Stellar 360 degree views and good weather made it a memorable day.
Exploring a new way down off the mountain gave more miles of adventure but no viable exit due to private property. So we backtracked. I thoroughly enjoyed myself, perhaps the video captures some of the reasons why...a great TW chain of destinations.

#27 ·
We should be awarded Astronaut Wings from NASA. That's what it felt like anyway. Glad it wasn't hot up there because there ain't no shade trees. :D

Wing Emblem Badge Fashion accessory Belt buckle

#29 ·
"bagged and gutting out" ? Makes you sound like a successful elk hunter.:D
Darn Canadians don't hardly speak the same language at times....should have joined us rebels back in the 1770's . Then they wouldn't have to have French labels on everything.
Now we all have our excuses...mine is I must have been reading the BAR rather than PSI scale on my tire pressure gauge. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :)
There certainly was a world of difference between 18 and 8 PSI in the steep marbles.
My comment about the failed climb out "the easy way out" was more about pointing out the irony of my once again underestimating trail difficulties rather than anyone's riding abilities...it was certainly steep & loose but looked doable from below.
Would ride with you Future Astronauts anytime, anywhere.

#30 ·
I think you guys will like the beginning of my Day 2 video when it gets posted. The definition of Fred's Easy Trails explained by Fred. Bwahaha.

#32 · (Edited)
Six Days Riding in the Sierra Mtns Day 1 Part 1 of 2

Alrighty then. I'll start posting some of my pitchers and videos of the very very fun adventure time we had down in the Sierras with Fred.

Arrived at noon, out riding by 1. Riding mainly singletrack trails on the first day of our 6-day riding trip to the Sierra Mtns. on the California/Nevada border. Fred kept up a good fun pace.

If you can't see the pictures let me know. I'm trying again to post from my Google Photo account instead of attaching the pictures from my computer.

Was getting a little "adventure ready" just on the trip down.
Highland Mountainous landforms Mountain Body of water Sky

Mountainous landforms Mountain Highland Sky Cloud

Lately, it seems like I hit snow every time I drive through Lakeview, OR
Road Windscreen wiper Transport Sky Atmospheric phenomenon

Wasn't long after arriving and Fred had ejfranz and myself out "exercising".
Off-roading Vehicle Motorcycling Adventure Wilderness

Rode through knee deep snow too
Forest Natural environment Woodland Tree Nature

Even with snow on the ground, ejfranz decided to help spray for any remaining mosquitoes
Jungle Nature reserve Natural environment Forest Wilderness

If the trail looks a little moist, with rocks, roots, and uphill, that's because it was
Off-roading Vehicle Geological phenomenon All-terrain vehicle Trail

Fred was taking us to his secret lunch spot
Rock Boulder Geological phenomenon Soil Tree

At the secret lunch spot
Vehicle Enduro Off-roading Tree Motorcycle

to be continued

#33 · (Edited)
Another really entertaining video ADMIRAL. Definitely better than mine.
I like the way you dubbed in the heavy breathing sound effects, you copy them from some scary Halloween movie?

P.S.- I think you gentlemen should come back for a little log hopping practice...hit it with momentum and a prayer, make those front tires reach for the sky! :D Enduro Vehicle Trail Off-roading Outdoor recreation

Reactions: admiral and ejfranz
#35 · (Edited)
Another really entertaining video ADMIRAL. Definitely better than mine.
I like the way you dubbed in the heavy breathing sound effects, you copy them from some scary Halloween movie?

P.S.- I think you gentlemen should come back for a little log hopping practice...hit it with momentum and a prayer, make those front tires reach for the sky! :D View attachment 199094
Just a different video, not better. I personally did better (not best) jumping logs after this one. I got to work on that! I have a new place to put the mic in the helmet so we'll see if that's better and doesn't pick up my "Jason" sounds. :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.