Six Day Sierra Group Ride
Close

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree226Likes

Thread: Six Day Sierra Group Ride

Six Day Sierra Group Ride

Admiral started a thread on a recent camp-n-ride we shared with others but it got put on hold due to photo-posting gremlins.
    Time for me to sketch out the outline and maybe others can hang their photos , videos and comments on this.

It turned into 6 wonderful days riding in a variety of terrains from 4,800 feet to over 11,600 feet.
    Bikes and riders did great with no special adjustments other than clean air filters for this 6,800 plus feet of change. Concerns expressed about necessity of jetting changes are somewhat over stated in my opinion and experience.

It all started with joking back and forth about neat places to ride and then the pieces fell into place with Admiral and Ejfranz arriving first on Tuesday bringing a 40 degree drop in temps with them. Darn Northerners and their cold weather!

Day 1, Tuesday: The guys unload and want to hit the single tracks. So we ride from my place sampling easy and not-so-easy trails until lengthening shadows have us retreat, 35 miles or so.

Day 2, Wednesday: My plan was to move to ride super-twisty Monitor Pass through Ebbetts Pass but I was out-voted. "More single track please!" . So single trackin' 'till you puke was the theme of the day, 50 miles since we hit two separate ranges.

Day 3, Thursday: We move south and into the Sweetwaters, set up camp then ride some truly remote and scenic single track around the 9000 ft level. Think side hill single trakin' through aspen tunnels in riotous fall colors. Maybe 30 miles then Admiral drove back to pick up Mrs.Admiral from the airport to have a civilizing influence on us.

Day 4, Friday: A quick warm-up ride to an antennae farm atop a 10,000 minor peak has us gaze at nearby 11,600 ft plus peaks.."Let's go there!" So we do. Amazing ride above the tree line on old mining roads from one side of a mountain range to the other. After three years I finally did the two summits leading to old mining camp of Bofort. After exploring more and failed attempts to find other ways off the mountain we ended up back tracking for a 70 mile thrilling day. We slept well that night, could barely stay awake long enough to greet Bananachunks who rode all the way from San Francisco after work. What a guy!

Day 5, Saturday: The five of us tour scenic roads on benches overlooking the Sierrras, several aspen groves and then a long cruise down low below 8,000 ft. above the Walker River to outskirts of the village of Walker. Another 50 miles or so?

Day 6, Sunday: Bananachunks has to eventually head home so after him loading up we all ride off one mountain and go to another entering the Marine Mountain Warfare Training Center near foot of Sonora Pass. The Marines are very gracious to us visitors, just keep the speeds down. Semper Fi!
    Couldn't find a needed trail fork but I was tying to guide the group past Lost Cannon Peak (General Fremont and Kit Carson had a bit of trouble with their gear 170 years ago) to pick up a long trail ending at a well preserved little known un-vandalized stamp mill and mine workings. So we ended up with George heading back over Sonora Pass with rest of us following behind for some twisty pavement fun up to the summit. Speedy canyon carving blows away accumulated trail dust but we took some butterflies in the face instead.
    Day 7, Monday: All good things come to an end. After six fun filled days and many a different riding experiences my friends have to load and depart. I head south for a hot spring soak with plans to camp above Mono Lake and ride Yosemite National Park.

Group Rides can sure be habit forming!
    Last edited by Fred; 10-19-2019 at 12:26 PM.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Yes, I had the old thread deleted because of picture posting problems. Yesterday I found out someone from a different forum is having issues posting photos from Google Photos (photo host site) so the problem is with Google Photos not the forums. Until that issue is fixed I'll just attach from my computer. Takes a little longer but doable.

Here's a photo or two from each day. I'll do a ride report with video and more pictures in the near future. I couldn't wait for after Christmas so I started editing day 1 footage yesterday. Fantastic riding every single day. Thank you so much Fred.

Day 1
    As you all have heard many times before...Fred's easy trails
    53.JPG

Day 2
    03.JPG

Day 3
    03 (1).JPG

Day 4
    C0649T01.JPG

Day 5
    IMG_2104.jpg

Day 6
    IMG_2108.jpg

Couple Bonus Campsite Photo

IMG_2109.jpg

Staying out of the wind
    IMG_2110.jpg
    littletommy, Fred, elime and 10 others like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Great photos so far Kris, thanks. You captured many of the wonderful moments, we did so much in those days I may forget some. I'll see if I can add more, time permitting. So many good memories!

Day 1: Warming up in a boulder patch...guys needed to stretch their muscles after so many hours driving to come play with me.Screen Shot 2019-10-12 at 12.58.20 PM.png
    Much of the riding was actually nice and smooth, Kris must be exaggeratingday 1.jpg

Day 2: More of the same playful trails like this plus a trip down a Verdi Peak single track to Stampede Reservoir. Areas have many miles of narrow trails that twist through the trees.day 2.jpg
    Day 3: Single trackin' Desert Creek and the forks of Rock Creek . day 3 .jpg....
    day 3b.jpg
    Day 4: A day of peak bagging, old mine shacks and finding private property blocking an exit after descending a few thousand feet. day4 peak.jpg...day 4.jpg...day 4 bofort.jpg
    Day 5: Chasing Mrs.Admiral towards an aspen lined side canyon. She can cover ground so much faster than years past on her ATV. day5 lori.jpg
    Certainly and fun and entertaining group to go ride with even if Ejfranz takes a time out for a bit of cardio at old homestead site smashed by micro-burst blown down pine trees.day 5 eckhart.jpg
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Day 6: Leaving the Marine's training center for a ride up to Sonora Pass. Some twisty 28% grades await us.day 5 marines.jpg
    Will try to cook up some videos eventually but for now more other chores and riding opportunities before snow flies keep me distracted.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

I have to sign up for one of these group rides. Its been a long time and I am afraid my marginal riding skills are rusty. It sure looks like fun!!!!
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Why not come to SanDue's McCloud ride next weekend? Easy graded roads there will polish off any rusty riding skills. Good food, reasonably good company and warm weather at a scenic secluded lakeside campground. Firearm friendly too.
    littletommy, cateyetech and SanDue like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Why not come to SanDue's McCloud ride next weekend? Easy graded roads there will polish off any rusty riding skills. Good food, reasonably good company and warm weather at a scenic secluded lakeside campground. Firearm friendly too.
    I have thought about it for a while but this weekend is out. Well, 80% sure its out......you never know.
    littletommy likes this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Never say never Tony! Betty Boop's other footpeg has been repaired so I could bring it & show off how those how well those fork seals you helped install are holding up. Enjoy a little scooped handgunnery with a hip pocket howitzer in .41 mag perhaps? bang.jpg
    admiral, elime, cateyetech and 3 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Go Tony Go!!
    Fred and elime like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

October means the aspens were changing color most everywhere we went. Screen Shot 2019-10-20 at 6.39.36 PM.png
    Supposedly, like grasses, these all share a common root system. All I know is their fall colors make a great excuse for a ride in the country.

Screen Shot 2019-10-20 at 6.40.15 PM.png...
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links