Mt Hamilton Rd
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mt Hamilton Rd

So pining for the SheetIron 150 of last weekend, i decided all i could do was go for a ride. I decided to head up to the Lick Observatory on Mt. Hamilton. One of the highest peaks in the Diablo Range, at 4196 feet it towers nearly 4100 feet above San Jose metropolis below. Mt Hamilton - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Hamilton_(California)

Part way up is Grant Ranch County Park consists of 10,000 acres of oak woodlands and grasslands, it serves as a link in a major wildlife corridor for the mountains.

Joseph Grant's former ranch house, now park headquarters and public use rooms.

James Lick, a wealthy entrepreneur and landowner from the 1800's upon his death donated $700,000 to construct a telescope on the high peak overlooking his estate in the Santa Clara Valley. While the valley was famous for fertile land and expansive fruit orchards, the high peak allowed good night viewing, above the marine layer that enshrouds the lower elevations.

The 36" refractor telescope was the largest of it's kind in the world when completed in 1888, and was the 1st permanently occupied mountain top telescope in the world. It is still run by the University of California.

Turning on to Mt Hamilton Rd

Black-tailed deer (Odocoileus hemionus) along the way

Turkey Vultures (Cathartes aura)

The road is twisty and is said to contain 365 turns to the top, yet maintains a fairly gentle grade, as it was originally built for horse drawn wagons to haul supplies for the observatory.

Going into a hairpin turn

The oak forests change from Valley Oak at the bottom to Blue Oaks in serpentine soils, mid way up, Coastal Live Oak in drier sections, and California Black Oak at the highest elevations. Giant majestic trees, they are one of my favorite habitats in California.

California Black Oak (Quercus kelloggii) at sunrise

Ben Franklin's vote for the national bird

1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hall's Valley @ sunrise

The 36" telescope

San Jose sleeping below and the Pacific Ocean is just over the last ridge

Many of the buildings look like they are from the 20's and 30's, i think these were worker's quarters.

My trusty steed (note the lights are on Mike and Joemama!)

I always have to add some blooming wildflowers

Purple Lupine

Western Wallflower (Erysimum capitatum)

Sticky Monkeyflower (Mimulus aurantiacus)

another Mimulus, but in purple

1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

A yellow ranunculus

Mistletoe is a parasite that while photosynthetic, receives the majority of it's nutrients from the host.

Oak Mistletoe heart

Gray pine dwarf mistletoe (Arceuthobium occidentale)

This little bridge over a creek, from 1935. Roosevelt's New Deal still in use.

A great opportunity for a self-portrait

Thanks for coming along!

Ride On!

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Great report. Thanks.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I have been up that road a few times myself. It is a fun ride.

Here is a picture of my TW at The Junction which is a short ride down the back side of Mt. Hamilton. To its right is Darrell's Honda NX which he no longer has. The Junction is funny -- it is usually either full of Harleys or BMWs.

Patterson isn't all that much further with its gas stations and fast food establishments. To bad it is all paved. I too long for last Saturday. Man, I had fun!
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

I enjoyed todays lesson. Thanks Joe.

Joe

Very enjoyable report, Joe. Thanks. The pictures are great, but I also enjoy the informative narrative. Looks like some great riding. You have a good combination of beautiful sights, flora and fauna, and twisty roads. Apparently the Momma vulture didn't teach her young not to land between the high tension lines. I've heard of a few fried birds who touched both lines when they stretched their wings to take off. Thanks again.
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

Thanks for that, looks like a great ride through some beautiful country.
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me, I am that fool!

Man, you really make the rest of us look bad with your detailed ride reports!!! You obviously know your plant life...

The sheetiron 150 is gonna be hard to beat, we just need to do it again!!! I did an alley sweeper for the first time this weekend, total chaos but really fun.

Hey Joe, you left your lights on again...

You've got a friend in the Bracket Business! Hidden Content

Get your TW200 Parts at ProCycle! Hidden Content

Beautiful area. The large Grant Ranch reminds me of the Wrigley Ranch on Catalina Island. Though it doesn't look so dry on your trip as it was on Catalina Island. We see those "Ugly Eagles" out in our neck of the world too, and perched on the power poles too! Thanks for sharing.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links