riding area
Close

Thread: riding area

I want to find some logging roads for my wife and friends who are not ready for trails. They do not have MC endorsements and are not ready for single track. Within couple hours of tacoma.

I like to ride in the Colockum area. Its the mountains north of Ellensburg/Kittitas. Miles upon miles of logging roads which are open to non-street legal ORV's. You must have a license plate and tabs on your bike OR off-road vehicle tabs (either or will work, you don't need both). You don't need endorsements to ride there. You must stay on the green dot roads (white stick looking things with a green dot on the side of the road). Oh, you'll also need a Discovery Pass for your bike and your haul vehicle if you park your haul vehicle on State land.

Its really a neat place. Wide open sagebrush country to the east towards the Columbia River, and thick woodlands to the west towards Blewett Pass.

Some of the landmarks up in the area are Lion's Rock, Haney Meadow, Ken Wilcox Horse Camp, Wenatchee Mountain, Four Corners, Arthur Coffin Game Reserve, and Naneum Ridge State Forest.

Theres still is snow up high, but with miles of roads, you can still have fun sticking to the lower elevations for now.

Let me know if you would like any more info. I have lots of pictures and some maps of the area. I ride up there quite a bit, but I haven't made it up there yet this year.

I'm sure there are some places closer to you, but I haven't ridden in Western Washington very much, which is weird because I'm from Kent. Seems like most people make the trek over the pass to ride in Eastern Washington.
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

I think you should go down to the DMV and get the motorcycle handbook and have them read it. Then go down to the DMV and take the written test to get there temp. endorsement. They can then ride anywhere you can. Just can't ride at night or have passengers. This is how my wife and oldest son learned. Took my wife to several parking lots on Sundays when the stores were closed and she worked on her skills to take the riding test. She started with her scooter, took her test with her scooter and was the only one to get 100% out of 20 people. She now rides her TW with me and we still have her scooter she likes to ride with her girlfriends that have scooters as well. BTW the temp. is good for 3 months and you can renew 1 other time.

ps: Brian I was told that to ride forest roads that your bike AND you must be licensed. That meant MC endorsement. The temp. lic. covers that.
    A very very wise man once said “it’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"Now then get your weapons... and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me"
    Gen:27:3

“I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.”
    -Ronald Reagan

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by goldenhtr View Post
    I think you should go down to the DMV and get the motorcycle handbook and have them read it. Then go down to the DMV and take the written test to get there temp. endorsement. They can then ride anywhere you can. Just can't ride at night or have passengers. This is how my wife and oldest son learned. Took my wife to several parking lots on Sundays when the stores were closed and she worked on her skills to take the riding test. She started with her scooter, took her test with her scooter and was the only one to get 100% out of 20 people. She now rides her TW with me and we still have her scooter she likes to ride with her girlfriends that have scooters as well. BTW the temp. is good for 3 months and you can renew 1 other time.

ps: Brian I was told that to ride forest roads that your bike AND you must be licensed. That meant MC endorsement. The temp. lic. covers that.

Washington State is kind of weird. Forest Service, yes, you must have a license and have a street legal bike with tabs. Department of Fish and Wildlife, Bureau of Reclamation, and Department of Natural Resources require you to over 16 years of age, wear a helmet and have some sort of tab on your bike. Off-road tabs or license plates with tabs, and if you have a license plate you'll need a Discover Pass too.

Colockum is DNR and WDFW, so no motorcycle license needed. You really need a map so you know where and where you can't ride.
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

Rainman: Thanks for the tip. Took your advice..sort of. we explored the LT Murry area near Cle Elum. was a good area for the crew we had. In study of the maps it is strange that the agencies do not do more to make the Green dot areas more connected. We covered every road accesable and we were riding slow. Again not having a street legal bike restricted us. There are 4 times more illegal trails than green dot roads. we were a little paranoid tha we would inadvertantly wanter onto a illegal path. If I understand it correct there are no single track or quad trailsat all in the area. After riding the roads for 3 hours the gang was wantong to try a single track but I could not find any legal ones so we opter out. We did find some trails ( looked like quad trails) that had plastic orange signs with black arrows. We could not find any mention on the maps so we were coutious and stayed off.

we made what we thought was a legal loop (per the map) but ended up bootleging down a gravel road for 1/2 mile or so to get back to the parking area. Overall a good area for us will definitly ride the oter green dot areas. Thanks

Goldenhtr: Never noticed the temp permit thing. That is a great idea. My kids are going to do that this week. That will open way more area. Now I have to do something to get another bike street legal. May have to upgrade and liscence the TT-125

There are lots of forest service roads around Shelton. They are in pretty good shape most of the time. The TW's dont have much range so I carry a extra gallon & that isn't enough at times.
    2005 Yamaha TW200
    2003 Kawasaki KLR650
    1995 BMW R100GSPD Classic
    1983 Honda CT110
    1984 Honda CT110

I don't think there are single track trails in WDFW land. You can try the Taneum area south of Cle Elum. The motorcycle trails are open. The FS was cutting the down trees 3 weeks ago.

Sponosred Links