The Honeymoon Trail
Close

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    The Honeymoon Trail is a pioneer trail established in the late 19th century. It is over 400 miles long, extending from northern Arizona to St. George, Utah. More information here, if you're interested.

Since the Honeymoon Trail passes about 15 miles south of my home I've known about it for a long time, and have made a few attempts to follow it east. The trail is not well marked in places, so I didn't have a lot of success. Recently I found information on the internet which gave pretty accurate route information for the northern part of the trail, including GPS waypoints. The southern part of the trail passes through the Navajo Indian Reservation, and honestly was a little further than I wanted to go this time. I plotted the route and loaded it on my GPS. Finally, last Saturday I found enough time to ride the trail.

The northern part of the Honeymoon Trail begins at Lees Ferry on the Colorado River, about 130 miles from my home. In the interest of time I decided to slab it out, and ride the trail back. I checked the weather along the route I would be taking. The forecast called for clear skies. But, the further east I rode, the cloudier it got. I could smell it first, then it started sprinkling. I kept going, thinking it would let up.

Instead it started raining harder. I pulled into Pipe Springs, Arizona and put on my rain gear. On down the road aways the rain let up. That's the way it was throughout the day. I could see areas around me that were getting rained on. Occasionally I would get enough rain to want my rain gear on, but it never really rained very hard or for very long. At Fredonia, Arizona I turned southeast and started climbing up the Kaibab Plateau.

On top of the plateau the trees are much bigger than what I'm used to.

At Jacob's Lake I took the left hand fork toward Lees Ferry. The right hand fork takes you to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon.

After a few miles the road descends pretty rapidly into the House Rock valley

where it intersects the Dominguez/Escalante Trail.

I rounded the corner and headed east along the base of the Vermillion Cliffs.

Eventually I made the turn to Lees Ferry.

Lees Ferry used to be one of just a few places to cross the Grand Canyon. Now it is a good place to put in if you want to raft down the Colorado River. I've been told the fishing from Lees Ferry upstream to the dam is very good.

My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

B-dub, that looks like an awesome ride! I would love to ride something like that some day! Thanks for sharing your adventure with us! Great photos too!
    Swamp

2006 TW200

Oh man, that looks like a great ride! Thanks for the link to the trail info, I want to ride all of it.
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me, I am that fool!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I like history, so enjoyed nosing around the historic district. Some of the buildings are well preserved.

Apparently there were two different sites for the ferry. This was one.

This was the other.

Can you tell which site this photo was shot at?

In the early 1900's a gold mining operation began in Lees Ferry. There is some old equipment still laying around.

What do you think? Some kind of old waterwheel?

An old steam engine?

Last edited by B-dub; 06-28-2013 at 09:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp View Post
    B-dub, that looks like an awesome ride! I would love to ride something like that some day! Thanks for sharing your adventure with us! Great photos too!

Quote Originally Posted by r80rt View Post
    Oh man, that looks like a great ride! Thanks for the link to the trail info, I want to ride all of it.

Thanks guys. It was a loooong day, but still a lot of fun. Except for a few stutters climbing the Kaibab the TW ran flawlessly. I think the carb is jetted a little rich for those elevations 'cause it runs great at lower altitudes.

Cool buildings, I love the historic iron relics too.
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me, I am that fool!

Then.

Now.

A little detail of the riveted construction.

They used a steamboat to haul coal from upriver to support the mining operation.

Then.

Now.

I assume that's the boiler. It's resting on the hull of the boat, which is now filled with sand. I spent close to an hour looking around, eating my lunch, etc. Then I decided I better hit the road or it would be late when I got home. That didn't stop me from taking in the sites, though.

I decided to stop and take a look at the ferry's replacement.

I thought of riding the TW onto the bridge, but decided I better not. I was all too happy to comply with the instructions on the right hand sign, though.

Last edited by B-dub; 06-28-2013 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by B-dub View Post
    An old steam engine?

Looks to me more like some kind of air compressor... a steam engine would have had a big flywheel. Steam is let into one end of the compressor and compressed air comes out the other. This one looks like a two stage compressor.

Very cool trip!!
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

The original Navajo bridge was replaced with a more modern version in 1995.

It's a long way down. I'll bet those are the same rafts that left while I was at Lees Ferry.

I found the turn to Jacob's Pool, one of the pioneers' first water stops after leaving Lees Ferry. Some of the desert plants were in bloom.

Looks like the yucca has already bloomed, and bore fruit. That was fast! The yucca around home still have their masts up.

In the shade......for the time being.

The cabin at Jacob's Pool.

I suppose this is where the pool was.

This is all that's left.

You can see the spring about dead center in this picture. Apparently they originally built dams to contain the spring waters. Later they piped the water down to the cabin site.

Quote Originally Posted by r80rt View Post
    Cool buildings, I love the historic iron relics too.

Me too. This thread is supposed to be about a TW and a trail, but I couldn't help myself. I suspect I'm not the only history nut on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    Looks to me more like some kind of air compressor... a steam engine would have had a big flywheel. Steam is let into one end of the compressor and compressed air comes out the other. This one looks like a two stage compressor.

Very cool trip!!

Makes sense to me. Thanks for sharing your insight.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links